Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Extension to tier point collection year end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club: Silver

Hi all! I know that in the past it was never possible to extend the tier point collection year with BA. I was wondering if anyone has succeeded in doing that in these times?

Under the reduced requirements, I need 500 TPs to reach Gold by November, and was considering doing some TP runs but it would just be a pain. I wouldn't have minded just paying the fare and not flying, but to collect TPs you need to actually have flown. So, has anyone had any luck in extending their collection year?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A two week extension has always been readily available. Would that be of any use to you?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by KARFA
A two week extension has always been readily available. Would that be of any use to you?
Are there any first hand anecdotes of these extensions still being offered alongside the reduced TP thresholds?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club: Silver
Thanks KARFA, I did not know that two week extensions are available, though I was hoping for more along the lines of a month. Is getting the two week extension a simple matter of calling them up?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
The Tier Point collection period isn't extended, technically. What happens is that.for flights completed in the 2 weeks following your membership anniversary (presumably 8th November in this instance), you can phone up afterwards and ask for the points to be credited to your old year that just expired
Misco60 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
GXWBA With an already sizeable reduction in required TP's the reasoning for wanting another month just because "it'd just be a pain" is likely to fast fall on deaf ears. In fact any request for more than the 2 weeks adjustment ( crediting to previous year to meet requalification) generally falls on deaf ears for substantially better reasons like 'my mother/ father died' and that's when you haven't already been afforded a reduction in what needs to be earned and the entire industry isn't in meltdown.

I'd suggest either earning the lower amount within the time or accepting your drop. There are still a few 160 SH locations you can fly to to help make it less of a pain.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
[Duplicate Post]
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
And to add that things like positioning to Jersey and then flying from Jersey to a 80TP location is Potentially easier with all flights going to/from LHR (so an 80TP destination can easily be made into a trip for 320TPs with positioning. Adding in another trip to a 40 destination with prepositionjng, which could be UK domestic so low risk for quarantine too and ending in London would give you the remainder an additional 20 TPs. Obviously lots of other combinations available, so hopefully you will find something that isn’t too much of a pain over the next 10 weeks. It is worth noting that JER is generally getting a POuG if £59 per leg at the moment for your prepositioning flights.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
I don’t as of right now believe the reduced thresholds are adequate at all.

on the assumption normality returned last month the reduction would have been acceptable. As it stands my 500tp per month trajectory from the start of the year (Nov end) to get CCR with US travel is unachievable. And given travel isn’t really going to be advised until the new year that means we had 3 months of regular travel this year, yet the reduction is on the polar opposite assuming 3 months(25%) of the 12 were not flyable.

strictly speaking, the reduction at this point should be 50% at least.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Siver, VS Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
I completely agree. With the exception of those gaining their status through leisure travel, it is impossible for business travellers to achieve status now. I suspect that's the exact opposite of what BA really wants or needs in the long term. Hopefully they are considering suggestions such as yours behind the scenes. It will be interesting to see what happens to brand loyalty once employers finally give the go ahead for a return to normal business travel if not.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfbaec
I completely agree. With the exception of those gaining their status through leisure travel, it is impossible for business travellers to achieve status now. I suspect that's the exact opposite of what BA really wants or needs in the long term. Hopefully they are considering suggestions such as yours behind the scenes. It will be interesting to see what happens to brand loyalty once employers finally give the go ahead for a return to normal business travel if not.
BA has extended the status of everybody for 12 months.

It's hardly a priority to worry about any kind of traveller who was never loyal before, but might possibly have decided to become so during 2020.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GXWBA
Hi all! I know that in the past it was never possible to extend the tier point collection year with BA. I was wondering if anyone has succeeded in doing that in these times?

Under the reduced requirements, I need 500 TPs to reach Gold by November, and was considering doing some TP runs but it would just be a pain. I wouldn't have minded just paying the fare and not flying, but to collect TPs you need to actually have flown. So, has anyone had any luck in extending their collection year?
so you want a frequent flyer Gold, but don’t want to fly?
you are not much over half way there and you want an extra month to get a status which is already reduced, because it’s a “pain”

are you wanting Gold for the sake of it, you don’t sound like a frequent flyer?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Siver, VS Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
In the current pandemic, I wouldn't blame anyone for taking the view of GXWBA about the prospect of taking unnecessary flights. I suspect most people who've missed Gold due to the pandemic would be best advised to apply for the TAP status match (BAEC Silver gets you Star Alliance Gold), but I agree that it would have been nice to have just stuck with BA. Maybe there is still a chance that following the suggestion of GXWBA will stop that, although craigthemif has a good point that maybe they won't be worried as the majority will already be covered by the one year extension.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.