End of BA MidHaul

Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Will CAI become RFS then? I'd love that
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Camflyer
I don't think there is any airline which provides a good transatlantic service in Economy.
Delta are pretty great when I fly them in Y, as are VS. BA are MILES behind (and before the BA loyalists jump in and say if you don't like it fly with someone else, the answer is yes I vote with my feet and fly with other carriers transatlantic).
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Having travelled with both BA and Egyptair to CAI, in J , I am reluctant to say that BA were not the better!
You also need to consider safety. Egyptair is not an airline I would ever choose as I think they don't accept that safety is part of flying.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Will CAI become RFS then? I'd love that
A valid question. All ET and CE are currently RFS.

If it does, I would not mind this change at all.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I would definitely consider a weekend break to Moscow if the fares were a lot cheaper. I guess BA would be happy to gain some more people like me.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I would definitely consider a weekend break to Moscow if the fares were a lot cheaper. I guess BA would be happy to gain some more people like me.
What about the visa kerfuffle (forgive me if this is not a requirement for you)?
DaveS, James91 and BAeuro like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:58 pm

Ugh. We couldn't do our trip to BEY earlier this year, so was hoping for CAI in Nov. But just can't accept short haul CE for these destinations. Arrival and departure times are really inconvenient for people who don't want to stay in Heliopolis or Nasr City, and the flight experience will be less than pleasant in the new configuration. Will aim to take RJ from AMS instead.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ENTP
What about the visa kerfuffle (forgive me if this is not a requirement for you)?
Yes this is of course a hurdle. But I’m thinking in principle for these Mid Haul routes.
ENTP likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Camflyer
I don't think there is any airline which provides a good transatlantic service in Economy.
Virgin’s afternoon tea prior to arrival is genuinely delicious. It’s branded with some celebrity chef, but it’s very well presented and tastes very nice.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:57 am

I think you’ve answered your own question. On the basis you’re only willing to go if prices drop a lot, I’m not entirely sure BA would be that happy to gain more people like you.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:04 am

You have got Wizz Air from Luton to Moscow Vnukovo for the customer who is totally steered by price though? If you're willing to not choose your seat and go hand baggage only you can get there and back for less than Ł100, which BA won't ever be able to compete with. I would say on the whole this customer really doesn't care if they are on BA or not, as they probably don't collect points etc., they just want to get from A to B.

The customer BA should be aiming for on this specific route is the wealthy Russian who chooses to fly to London for business or leisure and myself, who has to go to Russia a number of times a year for work and finds the whole thing a bit stressful (you won't understand the relief of seeing the Dreamliner pull up at the gate at DME after a week of Russian induced wierdness and the trauma of having your passport checked at 6 different points to get out of the country until you've done it) and therefore I choose to make the journey as comfortable as possible, plus keep my Silver card from a combination of WTP and CW on the route, which then keeps me loyal to BA for my other trips. I think in this specific instance, it is a route where BA could win by differentiating themselves from Wizz rather than trying to compete with them (which I totally get is what they need to do on European leisure routes).
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
BA (or more accurately, IAG Cargo) have announced that the 787 is operating CAI flights for September and October, so it looks like the move to A320 takes place from November.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Genius1
BA (or more accurately, IAG Cargo) have announced that the 787 is operating CAI flights for September and October, so it looks like the move to A320 takes place from November.
The FT rumour mill getting ahead of itself? Surely not! 😁😁
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Genius1
On DME the switch occurs on Sun 25 October, with the start of the W20/21 timetable, with twice weekly 787 till 18 Oct, then nothing for a week, then twice daily A320s an hour apart, which must surely be a placeholder for now.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
On DME the switch occurs on Sun 25 October, with the start of the W20/21 timetable, with twice weekly 787 till 18 Oct, then nothing for a week, then twice daily A320s an hour apart, which must surely be a placeholder for now.
My strong suspicion is that the A320 popping up on a lot of these routes is exactly that - a placeholder. The A320 is useless for cargo, and as cargo is an important component of airline revenue on many longer passenger routes, I would be surprised if the A320 stuck on at least some of these rotations.
13901 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.