End of BA MidHaul

Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
As for Moscow... I used to fly it when I was volun-told to become a volunteer crew and it used to be pretty packed on the 747. I guess that's a mixture of declining revenue, lower spend by the Russians now that the ruble has tumbled and the commodities boom has gone. Plus the fact that Britain is not included in the St. Petersburg visa-free regime...
The SPb visa-free regime is no good to anyone flying into Moscow.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Maybe the next step will be to downgrade flights back from BOS/NYC as if you get a good wind behind then you can do those in "mid haul" flight times.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Where are they starting from if they're avoiding LHR-CAI, but CMN and DOH are obvious transit points. I'm genuinely curious now! I don't think any TP are worth the expense and time of going via CMN (a redeye 737 service! to CAI)
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by ubiest
The SPb visa-free regime is no good to anyone flying into Moscow.
The geography didn't pass unobserved, I know, but it was a reference in general to add to the general slump in traffic to/from Britain. It's quite telling that most of Europe is included but not the UK.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Camflyer
Maybe the next step will be to downgrade flights back from BOS/NYC as if you get a good wind behind then you can do those in "mid haul" flight times.
Don’t give them ideas.

Thankfully as long as Virgin are on the route, they (along with TLV) won’t be altered too much, aside from the removal of the 747 which may send a few who clung on to BA’s mediocre service for the benefit of the Upper deck/nose to carriers who care about their customers a bit more.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by steview111
Don’t give them ideas.

Thankfully as long as Virgin are on the route, they (along with TLV) won’t be altered too much, aside from the removal of the 747 which may send a few who clung on to BA’s mediocre service for the benefit of the Upper deck/nose to carriers who care about their customers a bit more.
I don't think Virgin care about customer much either. to be honest, they are fighting to survive.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by shefgab
Why on earth would you route London to Cairo via Casablanca? CMN-CAI is even further than LHR-CAI?!
Well this is a left over BCN-LHR-CAI of a ticket that is now 2 years old (was INVOL about 5 times and then sickness extension. I wonder what BA offers but I was offered any OW options for similar things in the past so BCN-CMN-CAI might be on the cards
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shefgab
Where are they starting from if they're avoiding LHR-CAI, but CMN and DOH are obvious transit points. I'm genuinely curious now! I don't think any TP are worth the expense and time of going via CMN (a redeye 737 service! to CAI)
Haha i missed the 737 on CMN-CAI, i somehow expected its their 788 product. I recall the old days of CAI-DOH which i took at least 5 times on mix of A330 and B788 on QR.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
I don't think Virgin care about customer much either. to be honest, they are fighting to survive.
I haven’t flown with Virgin for a few years so couldn’t possibly comment, but the point was more that whilst Virgin are still around, BA will care a tiny bit more on the routes they compete with Virgin on. Probably the only reason TLV hasn’t gone the same way as DME/CAI/AMM.

If Virgin don’t survive, BA will have free reign to cut costs even further. If Norwegian don’t survive too, BA will double fares overnight to JFK/BOS etc.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Amman used to be a cash cow for BMed back in the day and the A320 series performed the job perfectly back then. (Along with many other places like Bishkek etc.)
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Amman used to be a cash cow for BMed back in the day and the A320 series performed the job perfectly back then. (Along with many other places like Bishkek etc.)
bishkek is almost on top of my 2021 wish list, along with Zanzibar and PPT
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
bishkek is almost on top of my 2021 wish list, along with Zanzibar and PPT
[OT] The town in itself is OK, but the true party-piece of the country is the nature, both in the Pamirs in the south and the Tien Shan around Karakol. Go around Independence day to see some kokboru too! [/OT]
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
The geography didn't pass unobserved, I know, but it was a reference in general to add to the general slump in traffic to/from Britain. It's quite telling that most of Europe is included but not the UK.
Different visa regimes for many years now, between UK and rest of EU via a vis RF, iirc amid tit-for-tat escalation of requirements with US, CA, and UK after the invasion of Georgia in 08.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
In the short term, I can see it makes sense to switch these routes to 320 aircraft, including that they offer enough capacity for the current traffic. Most of those travelling at the moment will be doing so because they have to and will want the least complex routing. I think few will be choosing to route via intermediate destinations.

If this all means that these destinations will continue to benefit from service, i think it's the right choice. But I don't see that it determines what will happen in the future. If the route justifies a widebody, for capacity or passenger profile, in the future, I'm sure BA will aim to do that.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by steview111
Don’t give them ideas.

I don't think there is any airline which provides a good transatlantic service in Economy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.