Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA DXB Flight Routings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
BA has been flying this routing since January, iirc.

Edited to add:
See, for example:
DXB to LHR
zeitgeist likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
BA has been flying this routing since January, iirc.

Edited to add:
See, for example:
DXB to LHR
Absolutely. These restrictions were first introduced in January. They were initially relaxed but then reintroduced in March and have stayed ever since.
jerry a. laska and zeitgeist like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I absolutely adore Iran, but even I have to agree with BA's routing. A few months ago an UIA plane was shot down by an Iranian air defence unit that calling trigger-happy is a bit of an understatement.
You have to remember that downing happened soon after USA had used UAV to kill Iranian general in Iraq. But yes, it might be still safer to avoid Iranian airspace despite that their air defence probably has now learned to be bit more careful in target acquisition.
Originally Posted by 13901
I imagine BA will be keen to avoid a repeat. And, also, with the current climate (Covid, sanctions) an emergency landing in Iran might require a veeeery long stay for the aircraft over there. If I remember correctly a Norwegian 737 blew an engine over Iran, diverted to Bandar e Abbas and basically stayed there for almost half a year due to issues in bringing spares over there.
And also in this case USA-Iran relations played a role: that diverted plane happened to be 737 MAX 8 and obviously such new US technology (that did prove to have some other problems) in Iranian hands was an undesirable event... And btw, the diversion was to Shiraz, not Bandar Abbas.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:13 am

Sure, but even if there was an Airbus there's still sufficient US-made equipment to make a recovery hard. The big issue with the Norwegian MAX was shipping a new engine there for a change as there's the embargo.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Similarly, IIRC BA (when they used to) and QR also had different routings when doing the LHR-DOH sector
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA CCR GGL, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Indeed much of it is down to connecting passengers. DXB has also had issues with their advanced passenger information system, which has impacted many airlines in having to offload several passengers in recently weeks. Unfortunately we can't board customers if the information isn't processed or a do not board response is given and there have been lots of manual calls to DXB to try to get passengers on.
Story-time.

Indeed. But for whatever reason, this is only impacting airlines other than EK/EY (who are not having to do this extra step). Also, in my experience (I was DB a few weeks ago on DXB flight) my DB was caused by BA, and their own stupidity. Let me explain.

The agent at my regional airport where I boarded was not equipped with how to process me, but they did allow me to fly to LHR. But not before boarding they told me (this actually turned out to be lies) "You have been approved, and you will get your boarding pass at connections at LHR). At connections, they said I had to exit and go upstairs to First Wing. At LHR, I waited for hours, and was then DB after some heated exchanges. The reason given was DNB from DXB authorities, but BA only begun to process my 'appeal' to the authorities 1 hour before the flight was supposed to take-off , and not when I presented at check-in earlier in the day from a regional airport or when i arrived at T5 and tried to get my boarding pass. I then had to wait 4 hours for my bags to be offloaded, standing in the baggage collection area.

I then made it my mission to find the most senior member of staff on duty whom confirmed BA had failed me, and tried to re route me on KU, but I told him that was not acceptable as there is no BA Presence in Kuwait (I could have been re-routed on another airline if they had helped me earlier, but 4 different managers all said they couldn't...). Later that evening I flew on EK without issue, at my own expense.

The next day, the BA station manager at DXB called me to apologise, as well as the Global Engagement team. I was eventually given Compensation for being IVOL Denied Boarding (standard 600EUR) as well as a refund of my un-flown flight portion (but only after I put up a fight and laid out the story to them from start to finish). I was not given any extra costs associated with flying myself home, missing my limousine, etc. Fair enough, but I feel like they should have.

Honestly, the whole experience has soured my mindset on BA, and I may not even wish to continue to chase GGL/CCR going forward. The treatment that day, except from the senior staff member in the evening, was beyond the pale.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
At the gate you need to show:

- Boarding pass
- Passport
- Hard copy of the UAE passenger locator form
- Hard copy of a negative Covid test less than 96 hours old
What’s the UAE passenger locator form? I’m flying on Wednesday and want to make sure I’m prepared. I’ll have a newly minted negative Covid test (inshallah) and UAE ICA approval to return as a resident.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 3:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Blumie
What’s the UAE passenger locator form? I’m flying on Wednesday and want to make sure I’m prepared. I’ll have a newly minted negative Covid test (inshallah) and UAE ICA approval to return as a resident.
This is the form you need :-

https://c.ekstatic.net/ecl/documents...ation-form.pdf
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
What's the requirements for ATH? I'm going there next month and wasn't aware of any.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Speedbird Julie
What's the requirements for ATH? I'm going there next month and wasn't aware of any.
Just a quick form that has to be filled out online, at least 24 hrs prior to departure. There’s some info in this threat which might be helpful: Greece - individual or family PLF for BA?
Speedbird Julie likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Just a quick form that has to be filled out online, at least 24 hrs prior to departure. There’s some info in this threat which might be helpful: Greece - individual or family PLF for BA?
Thank you. I'll check this out.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Much appreciated.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
They have a big stack of them at the Zone G check in desks.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I was able to check in and obtain a boarding pass online without any problem, but as I had a bag to check I had to stop at the desk. (I’m assuming that even if I did not have a bag to check I would have been directed for a document check.) The agent in the F check in was lovely but completely unfamiliar with the process. I walked her through my forms — a negative covid test from yesterday, my health declaration, and a screenshot of UAE government approval to return as a resident — but still she called a support desk to make sure she was doing everything correctly. So far I’ve made it into the lounge. Let’s see if I can get all the way to DXB and onward to Abu Dhabi!
Schwann likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I was able to check in and obtain a boarding pass online without any problem, but as I had a bag to check I had to stop at the desk. (I’m assuming that even if I did not have a bag to check I would have been directed for a document check.) The agent in the F check in was lovely but completely unfamiliar with the process. I walked her through my forms — a negative covid test from yesterday, my health declaration, and a screenshot of UAE government approval to return as a resident — but still she called a support desk to make sure she was doing everything correctly. So far I’ve made it into the lounge. Let’s see if I can get all the way to DXB and onward to Abu Dhabi!
Final report:

Boarding and departure of BA107 on Wednesday was orderly. We pushed back about 10 minutes post scheduled departure time, followed the southerly route through Egypt and KSA posted upthread, and parked on the stand at 00:00, 30 minutes late.

Upon arrival at immigration, it appeared chaotic. The e-gates are closed. Fast track is for EK customers only. The queues were long and snaking. Still, lots of desks were open and I made it through in about 25 minutes. I handed the immigration officer my US passport, my UAE resident ID card, and a copy of a negative covid test result from a UAE-approved clinic in London which I visited on Monday. The only thing he looked at was my passport, which he scanned and then quickly waived me in.

My bag was already on the belt. I grabbed it and walked over to Avis, where I picked up a rental car.

By now it was after 1am and Sheikh Zayed Road (E11) to Abu Dhabi was nearly empty. Just after crossing the boarder into Abu Dhabi, I saw signs on the right side of the highway for some sort of testing center at the next exit. I had no idea that I needed to stop, but when I saw the only two cars in front of me exit the highway, I decided to follow them. The road led to a large parking lot and two or three very large tents, with quite a lot of people milling about notwithstanding the hour. I parked my car, found a security guard, told him that I had just landed at DXB from London, and asked whether I needed to do anything. He directed me to a door to one of the tents labeled International Arrivals Direct from Airport. That fit my description, so I went in. I showed them my negative covid test results and the health form that BA required, but they told me I needed to be retested. They gave me a new form to fill out, entered some data from my passport and UAE ID card, tested me, and gave me a copy of some form before sending me on my way.

I got back on my car — it was after 2am at this point — and got back on the highway. Just another 2km up the highway I came to a police roadblock. There was a short queue of cars, which moved quickly. When I got to the front, I handed the officer the form I was just given showing I had just been re-tested, and he waived me through. I don’t know what would have happened if I hadn’t stopped at the testing center. Maybe he would’ve accepted my London test results, but I’m thinking I would have been required to turn around and go back to the testing center.

All that said, notwithstanding the frequently changing and confusing regulations, I am happy to report that I made it to Abu Dhabi.

BTW, a friend returned last week on an EK flight from LAX. He reported that passengers on his flight were tested upon arrival at DXB. He then took an EK-provided chauffeur car to Abu Dhabi. He did not stop at the testing center at the border and was able to get right through at the roadblock, presumably because he had been tested on arrival at DXB. He did report that he had to wait about 90 minutes in the queue at the roadblock, presumably because the EK flight arrives at 19:30, as opposed to my 00:00 arrival.
Schwann likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.