Can I do bag drop with Iberia?

Old Aug 18, 20, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Can I do bag drop with Iberia?

We're flying BA. Desks not open yet (ATH).

There's an Iberia desk open.

Can we drop our bags using the Iberia desk ? Does such a oneworld benefit exist ?

(Bronze status and club Europe if that helps)
Old Aug 18, 20, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ask them and report back ?
Old Aug 18, 20, 5:17 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
This is sadly not a benefit, so no, you can not check in bags for a BA flight with Iberia.

There is no harm in asking, however, especially as the ground staff might all be contracted and be able to technically do it.

I’ve arrived foolishly early at Luxembourg airport and a very nice agent for the airport, working KLM I think, very kindly made her desk a ‘British Airways’ one for all of two minutes to check me in. Quite novel seeing the screen change between the two airlines!
alex67500, seawolf and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 18, 20, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
This is sadly not a benefit, so no, you can not check in bags for a BA flight with Iberia.

There is no harm in asking, however, especially as the ground staff might all be contracted and be able to technically do it.

I’ve arrived foolishly early at Luxembourg airport and a very nice agent for the airport, working KLM I think, very kindly made her desk a ‘British Airways’ one for all of two minutes to check me in. Quite novel seeing the screen change between the two airlines!
Thanks. Good to know for next time!

​​​​​​
Old Aug 18, 20, 5:35 am

Programs: BA & HH Silver
I find it strange that one would ask on an internet forum before asking staff on the ground?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 18, 20, 5:58 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by BLHD View Post
I find it strange that one would ask on an internet forum before asking staff on the ground?
It could be that in the time it takes to get an answer from a ground agent, you already have a correct answer from here

Large queues at the Iberia desk for example 🤷‍♂️
Old Aug 18, 20, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
It could be that in the time it takes to get an answer from a ground agent, you already have a correct answer from here

Large queues at the Iberia desk for example 🤷‍♂️
Experience tells me that many staff aren't fully trained on the oneworld benefits, hence asking on here
Old Aug 18, 20, 8:57 am

I've tried the reverse, arriving to JNB for an IB flight when their desks were closed, and tried dropping off bags with BA. I was not allowed. It did seem a little silly, given they are owned by the same company, and I had connecting flights with BA on the same ticket.
Old Aug 18, 20, 9:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lewis_saint View Post
I've tried the reverse, arriving to JNB for an IB flight when their desks were closed, and tried dropping off bags with BA. I was not allowed. It did seem a little silly, given they are owned by the same company, and I had connecting flights with BA on the same ticket.
Yes, but the staff are actually employed by handling agents. Apart from the fact that handling agents are only paid for the contracted time, it could well be that BA and IB use different handling agents and so simply don't have access to the relevant systems.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: