Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's not a valid connection I think? I thought MCT was 60 minutes T5-T5?
I believe it is 60 mins, yes. Lots of padding on domestic arrival times though. Be at gate at least 20 mins for boarding gives 30 mins to get through main terminal and down to transfer train. Will report back next week !
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mgo6
when you land in Dubai you will get your unified ID when they stamp your passport. In order for the alhosn to turn green you need to do a pcr in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, once that result is posted to alhosn it will go green.

You only need this if you’re planning on visiting Abu Dhabi. Nowhere in Dubai uses it.
For visitors just showing the negative PCR result and your NHS Covid certificate should be fine for venues. That was what friends reported who visited the other week said.

The Al Hosn application seems impossible to register for in UK without the 'Unified ID' that I think you mention. When I'm there next week I'll see if I can register (flying into DXB then heading to Abu Dhabi). The Al Hosn application also seemed to insist on recording a UAE based mobile number. Basically I was stymied at every time I've tried to register.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
For visitors just showing the negative PCR result and your NHS Covid certificate should be fine for venues. That was what friends reported who visited the other week said.

The Al Hosn application seems impossible to register for in UK without the 'Unified ID' that I think you mention. When I'm there next week I'll see if I can register (flying into DXB then heading to Abu Dhabi). The Al Hosn application also seemed to insist on recording a UAE based mobile number. Basically I was stymied at every time I've tried to register.
There are a bunch of us going to the Abu Dhabi F1, and one of our group is there already, long story short is you are given a local SIM in immigration to complete the Al-Hosn app in Dubai. It is needed for the F1, not sure about other events, but do make sure youve done the pre-registration at least 48hrs before you leave
https://smartservices.ica.gov.ae/ech...gisterArrivals
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
There are a bunch of us going to the Abu Dhabi F1, and one of our group is there already, long story short is you are given a local SIM in immigration to complete the Al-Hosn app in Dubai. It is needed for the F1, not sure about other events, but do make sure youve done the pre-registration at least 48hrs before you leave
Thanks for the info. I've followed the link and this time it enables me to select 'United Kingdom' and enter my UK phone number. I will have roaming so probably shouldn't need a local SIM, but will take it if offered.

I've just received a QR code through so will see what that gets me......! Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'll be going back to the UK via Paris so need to now have a PCR test on the way back.
Any recommendations on a reputable clinic in Dubai that can do a PCR test and provide results in around 24-36 hours at a reasonable cost?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Thanks for the info. I've followed the link and this time it enables me to select 'United Kingdom' and enter my UK phone number. I will have roaming so probably shouldn't need a local SIM, but will take it if offered.

I've just received a QR code through so will see what that gets me......! Thanks.
The QR code is the first step, which you need to do before you leave.
Reports are that UK numbers dont/didnt work.. But you can collect a free UAE SIM (1GB data) and is enough to complete the registration.. you need to faff around changing your number from UK to the new UAE number - the recommendation is to take a laptop for this, as the doing it via the app is tricky/awful.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Limited lounge space at dxb ba sms message

Hi

New one for me

Just been smsd by BA . There is limited Ba lounge space at dxb for my 0215 a380 back to lhr tomorrow so am invited to use the marahaba lounge.

Will still try to visit the Ba lounge though to try it out.

Regards

Tbs
anyway no issues at all accessing the ba lounge. Lounge just now is a third full and just had some soup delivered. I could see with a full a380 at the same time it might be packed.
check in was quick but the first checkin agent noted on the boarding pass board at 0100 which is not happening for a 0235 flight as we are delayed 20mins and still in the lounge now at 0130
now looking at an 0300 departure
noticed what appeared to be some crew in uniform entering the lounge and changing into ordinary clothes then headed back as pax not sure if they did the outbound.
actually was around 0340 with take off at 0400
long route over Saudi Arabia then Egypt avoiding sini
inging.skipped the first meal and just had a couple of johnnie gingers . Crew offered a packet of crisps alsobut breakfast had a Belgian waffle option so chose that and they were very good with cream and compote also mango yoghurt and fruit salad with a bit of papaya to make it exotic . 2 pastries also.. quality was good.

Eventually landed 90mins late and cw cabin rows 50 to 53 were invited to leave first.
Only 2 boarding doors at dxb . The upper deck and door 1l so all the lower deck pax would be going through First class cabin

Regards
tbs

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Dec 4, 2021 at 3:28 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:36 pm

Transit

Never transited through Dubai and will be in Club World on honeymoon. Taking EK to Male 6 hours later, do I need to go through full customs and get bags between terminal 1 and 3 in DXB? Any advice would be welcome.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Eventually landed 90mins late and cw cabin rows 50 to 53 were invited to leave first.
I assume many passengers, who are transiting via LHR, have lost their connections!
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:34 am

​​​​​​​u.a.e.

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Arrival in DXB painless; 'Yala' staff asked for PCR test (not bothered if printed or on phone)

Immigration didn't ask for anything and snuck a free 1 GB local SIM into my passport !

Tip; if you want to be registered for Smart gate they will do it on entry at normal immigration

The app isn't needed; even in AUH... as people say you can't register unless you have U.A.E. number

caught bus to AUH no further checks

was asked for proof of vaccination in one restaurant
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Max Koskoff
Never transited through Dubai and will be in Club World on honeymoon. Taking EK to Male 6 hours later, do I need to go through full customs and get bags between terminal 1 and 3 in DXB? Any advice would be welcome.
I assume that the BA and EK flights are on separate tickets? If so, then as BA doesn’t have an interline agreement with EK you will need to exit arrivals at T1, collect bags, get the Metro to T3 (one stop), check-in and go through security.

Last edited by MaxFlyer; Dec 5, 2021 at 1:52 am
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:44 am

​​​​​​​transit

Originally Posted by Max Koskoff
if you are on one ticket you can just transit airside as bags will be tagged through to final destinaton
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
I believe it is 60 mins, yes. Lots of padding on domestic arrival times though. Be at gate at least 20 mins for boarding gives 30 mins to get through main terminal and down to transfer train. Will report back next week !
So, I promised to report back and here I am. Since the last update, the new rules around pre-departure test have come in, and although I don't have an issue with testing per se, it did mean 3 tests to go on our trip, and various issues should any of them be positive, so we decided we would rather not travel if we didn't have to. This trip was a BA Holidays booking, fully paid up less than 3 weeks from departure.
I called BAH to see what my options were and got through in 20 mins, at the 5th attempt of calling. About 45 mins all in. The agent was really good, she explained that my connection of 50 mins wasn't allowed, I wouldn't be able to travel on that itinerary, and I could cancel for a full cash refund. She said I was on a list to call later that week to tell me and explain all the options open to me which would be various, including flying with Emirates, amongst various other flight and date changes.
So although disappointed my trip is cancelled, delighted that my time change allowed me to claim a full refund, other may not be so fortunate as me.
As ever, super friendly efficient, top notch service from the Newcastle based BAH call centre, hats off where due.
The _Banking_Scot and ENTP like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I'll be going back to the UK via Paris so need to now have a PCR test on the way back.
Any recommendations on a reputable clinic in Dubai that can do a PCR test and provide results in around 24-36 hours at a reasonable cost?
There are loads. Your hotel should be able to organise someone to come to your room and do it and have the results back in under 24 hours for under 250dhs.

I was the Park Hyatt and they had a physician onsite who did them for 150dhs - back around 15 hours later.

You can take a taxi or Uber to any of the drive through sites.

Plenty of options and much cheaper than the UK.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:02 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
King's College Hospital has a few branches in Dubai. You can turn up without booking at three of them. One of which is 24hr. Results by email within 12 hours. 150 dirhams. They have a good website and maps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.