Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
Is the Covid test on arrival only available if you fly with Emirates? The travel advice on gov.uk doesn't say so, but BA aren't letting me check-in online.
It’s available for all passengers. You will clear immigration (passport control) first and then will go for your Covid check as you enter the baggage claim area.

As I posted in your other thread on this topic, I have not been able to OLCI for my two recent flights to DXB but had no problem checking in at the airport.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
It’s available for all passengers. You will clear immigration (passport control) first and then will go for your Covid check as you enter the baggage claim area.

As I posted in your other thread on this topic, I have not been able to OLCI for my two recent flights to DXB but had no problem checking in at the airport.
Thank you. Did BA ask for proof of a negative test?

Also, is there any way to choose a seat for free if you can't do OLCI?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
How long is it taking to get through immigration these days as a tourist with all the extra paperwork etc? Is it worth booking maharaba to skip all the queues or does this not work so well with all the Covid requirements?

Secondly does check in in Dubai open 3 hours prior or 4?

Last edited by Neilgcal; Nov 26, 2020 at 4:16 pm
Old Nov 26, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Looking at Instagram, FB, and other social media websites, Dubai and BA A351 business class are the most popular travel products during the covid-19 era!
BAeuro likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Looking at Instagram, FB, and other social media websites, Dubai and BA A351 business class are the most popular travel products during the covid-19 era!
I’ve noticed that too!
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. Did BA ask for proof of a negative test?
Yes, which I had. We’ll all be interested in hearing your experience explaining that DXB allows testing on arrival. It won’t hurt to have a copy of the Dubai rules to show them.

Also, is there any way to choose a seat for free if you can't do OLCI?
As a Gold BAEC member, I chose my seat weeks until advance without a problem.

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
How long is it taking to get through immigration these days as a tourist with all the extra paperwork etc? Is it worth booking maharaba to skip all the queues or does this not work so well with all the Covid requirements?
I’ve done it twice. It’s taken about 20 minutes both times. The queues look long, but they move well. The only paperwork the immigration folks care about is your passport. They’re not checking for your Covid test or your health declaration form. The Covid check is separate after immigration; there is no queue, as most passengers quickly flash their negative test result certificate as they walk by those doing the checking.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Just to add a couple of additional data points (flights in the last week or so):

As posted above, I couldn't OLCI for LHR-DXB. BA did ask for the negative Covid test certificate at T5 check-in, since I also had one I don't know what the debate would have been if I hadn't. The wait for a desk (CW check-in area, TFW was closed) was pretty long, due to few desks open (presumably furloughed staff) compounded by a few pax with issues which occupied desks for long periods. Maybe this will improve after 2 Dec.

On arrival in DXB in the morning, T3 immigration was deserted, it took no time to get through. Someone I know arrived from elsewhere around midnight on EK and said it was similar (he had to take a test on arrival, but no wait). Luck of the draw I guess, depending on flights arriving. Similarly nobody asked for the Covid test certificate or health declaration, but someone doing queue management was asking if you'd already had a test or not, and diverting people who said no to another immigration line.

OLCI worked fine for DXB-LHR, though I couldn't get Smart Gates to work (a couple were open, but wouldn't recognise passport). Departure passport control in T3 was swift anyway. Marhaba lounge was pretty busy, but seats were available. Much easier for solo travellers, multiple seats together were harder to come by..
Blumie likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is there any benefit to being hand luggage only when you arrive at Dubai? Just wondering if it means joining the line for the test whilst everyone else waits for their bags. Or is it test first, then bag collection?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Is there any benefit to being hand luggage only when you arrive at Dubai? Just wondering if it means joining the line for the test whilst everyone else waits for their bags. Or is it test first, then bag collection?

Test first then collect bag. By the time you clear immigration with or without having to get a test done, ive found that the bags were ready and waiting on the belt, so no advantage to hand luggage only
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Test first then collect bag. By the time you clear immigration with or without having to get a test done, ive found that the bags were ready and waiting on the belt, so no advantage to hand luggage only
My experience as well both times during the Covid era that I’ve taken this flight. By the time I walked to and cleared immigration my bags were on the belt.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
A350 just appeared back on the 105/104 rotation in the new year. Triggered a lot of CW availability for my dates at least but I haven't yet received an alert from Reward Finder so now might be a good time to upgrade an existing booking or pull the trigger on a £1050 cash booking and then upgrade from there.

If it changes again to a 777 or 787 would Avios upgraders be at risk of a downgrade?
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattyw
If it changes again to a 777 or 787 would Avios upgraders be at risk of a downgrade?
Not if you’ve got a confirmed upgrade.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Exec
Can anyone confirm if home administered (but accredited lab processed) PCR tests are accepted for entry into Dubai? Or does the swab need to have been physically administered in a health care setting? Thinking specifically about Randox health home test service. Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by nick50000
Can anyone confirm if home administered (but accredited lab processed) PCR tests are accepted for entry into Dubai? Or does the swab need to have been physically administered in a health care setting? Thinking specifically about Randox health home test service. Thanks.
I would expect so - otherwise (at least theoretically) someone else could take the test on your behalf. My certificates hence state all time that the test was taken in a certified environment (I guess most check in staff will only check that you have a negative test, but personally I would find that too risky).
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:44 am

From my understanding it just has to be a PCR test . Couple of people I know have done the at home version ( but sent off to official lab) and that has been fine for recent entry into DXB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.