Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Travellingberry
Hi TBS, I'll be flying back on 5th December for 10 nights and was thinking of going to the Expo too. Would be good to hear if you think it's worth it when you've been.
Hi,

Will post breif comments during my stay once back at the hotel ( to save mobile data) but IIRC other BAEC FT'er have been and their impressions were positive ( partly convinced me to book dubai)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: Some
Given global travel restrictions, LHR-DXB has overtaken LHR-JFK this year as the world's busiest route by ASMs - https://simpleflying.com/dubai-londo...november-2021/

Somewhat explains why BA needs to get the A380 in the air for the peak winter season ASAP!

Unless you have an already packed schedule, I don't see why you wouldn't go to the Expo - you are basically already paying for it in the current Dubai hotel rates anyway.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Given global travel restrictions, LHR-DXB has overtaken LHR-JFK this year as the world's busiest route by ASMs - https://simpleflying.com/dubai-londo...november-2021/

Somewhat explains why BA needs to get the A380 in the air for the peak winter season ASAP!

Unless you have an already packed schedule, I don't see why you wouldn't go to the Expo - you are basically already paying for it in the current Dubai hotel rates anyway.
The current rates for some Dubai hotels are bonkers. Some very average hotels up at over £500 per night. It might just be me - if I was in Dubai right now I might go and see the expo, but at no point have I thought the event in itself worth sitting on a plane for 14 hours and paying daft hotel rates. Maybe I'm just missing the point. And currently no F so yes, the 380 is needed back.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m in Dubai at the moment on my first ever trip to the UAE and today I went to the Expo. First thing just to say is that on arrival there’s a security check where they ask for proof of vaccination or a PCR test.

As for the Expo itself it’s huge, much bigger than I expected. I spent around 6 hours on site and much of that was spent slowly walking around in the heat taking photos of the various national pavilions (as well as taking refreshment breaks, there’s plenty of food and drinks outlets).

I didn’t go inside many pavilions mainly because of time as many of the bigger ones had queues of 15 minutes or so. I’d have loved to have gone inside the Japanese one but it had a 40 minute queue for an hour long tour. However I did manage to visit the ones for Singapore and Luxembourg which have been mentioned upthread.

The U.K. one on the other hand had no queue but IMO it was one of the least impressive, basically it’s an empty shell where you could choose words to appear on a display which would be used to make a ‘poem for outer space’.

So it’s definitely worth a visit if only to marvel at the architecture and the sheer scale of it but if you want to visit as many pavilions as possible you will need maybe 10-12 hours there and possibly two or even more days.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
My partner and I visited the EXPO on it´s first 3 days of opening and were able to visit a few pavilions including that of Luxembourgs which many have said was worth a visit. We are spending New Year in Dubai flying BA and would try to visit Singapores pavilion then.

The Expo app allows you to prebook a visit to a certain pavilion (up to 10 pavilions each day) so you skip the queue. I bought a season pass though so I´m not sure if it is restricted to this type of ticket. I got a discount buying the season pass using my Mastercard but it was for a limited time.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

One person has visited all 192 country pavillions at Expo 2020 taking 3 days to do so.
https://gulfnews.com/expo-2020/news/...ays-1.83455597
I booked the trip through BA Holidays and the total cost was reasonable ( with BA CW fares at the time of c £2k , the effective cost of a Conrad Executive room was close to £100pn)

The Expo multiday pass ( 25% off with Mastercard) is still for sale.

Regards

TBS
TedToToe and Travellingberry like this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Flew out on Friday on the lunchtime BA flight and CW was completely full (seat map showed every seat taken 3-4 days before, which is not something I have seen before, even pre-COVID) and WT+ and WT looked extremely packed, if not full, too. Chaos at the gate ensued when they called everyone there but then realised it was too early as the plane hadn't been cleaned (even though it had been at LHR since the day before, WTAF? Who organises these things?) - so we had to wait an hour which could have been spent in the lounge! Hotel prices are indeed astronomical right now; our usual haunts at the Jumeirah properties are all £1200/night+. Dubai feels busier than I have ever seen it - malls are packed & metro is a nightmare; we used it once and never again (packed in like sardines, unable to breathe, way too close to other people for comfort especially when you consider you're surrounded by people from all over the world and many not wearing masks properly).

Anyway, on the plane they handed out double-sided A4 health questionnaires we were told we needed to fill in. Nobody asked for these. The couple in front even asked the immigration officer and he told them to throw it away(!) For the PCR test result, it was a cursory glance by the people who monitor the monorail queue! They read none of the details and just wanted to be pointed to the date of the test and where it said "negative". The actual immigration officers did not ask for it, or any other COVID-related questions/forms and simply stamped the passport and waved us through in minutes (although thank god we were first off the plane as we arrived same time as a Dhaka flight and the majority of the BA pax were behind what seemed like c. 200-300 pax from that flight and who took a lot longer to process through immigration).
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
I’m going in January and yesterday was pleasantly surprised to learn that as a senior citizen, I am entitled to free multi-day passes to Expo, as is my wife. They sent me two electronic passes immediately I applied.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
My flight to DXB last week also showed a full seat map in CW with only one vacant in WTP. Arrival was at the same time as a flight from Manila so I feared the worst at immigration but thankfully an employee moved each set of passengers into separate queues so passport control for me and my fellow BA travellers was simple and quick.

On my plane we were given those double-sided questionnaires but likewise nobody at DXB wanted to see them. (Similarly when I went to Malta last month the BA cabin crew handed out Maltese Government questionnaires but nobody wanted them at MLA airport.)

I was also surprised to see the Dubai Metro to be so busy so after the first couple of days I started buying Gold Class tickets. A day ticket in Gold Class on the Metro is 44 AED which is double the regular Silver Class one. However 44 AED is still less than 9 GBP and so far I’ve managed to get a seat 100% of the time, and even when there’s been standing passengers I’ve never seen more than four in the car. It’s most definitely worth paying the extra, not just for comfort but also for safety with the pandemic.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:30 pm

I’m off on the 17th for 10 days and planning to visit Expo, maybe catch the end of the air show and friends may attract us to the golf too.

Hotels stupidly priced until the end of the golf, got a fairly good deal using Raffles hotel connection as he secured a cancellable itinerary at the same price at I could get it elsewhere for pre-pay - essential IMHO as PCR test results can’t be taken for granted outbound.

Not travelled for a while so trying to navigate my way through through the testing and recording processes (ex-GLA, so have to include local rules too&#128580 and suing the Randox place in Glasgow city centre (after the COP crowds leave on Monday) … friends live in Dubai and say everywhere is busy, so it’ll be a different break for us, despite us being fairly frequent visitors.

‘will report back anything noteworthy 👍🏻
The _Banking_Scot and kosy91 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I have to say that I've never seen such a blanket lack of CW award availability to DXB - although what I'm reading here re loads bears out why. I do hope that this doesn't become the new normal, and the reintroduction of the A380 plus the expo finishing means we get better availability next year... I always liked DXB as a value spot for redemptions so would be sad to see it completely dry up...

I'm pretty much resigned to being in WTP for both legs on my trip next week. If I get a reasonably priced AUP option, that will be a very pleasant surprise!
kosy91 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by aahch
I’m off on the 17th for 10 days and planning to visit Expo, maybe catch the end of the air show and friends may attract us to the golf too.

Hotels stupidly priced until the end of the golf, got a fairly good deal using Raffles hotel connection as he secured a cancellable itinerary at the same price at I could get it elsewhere for pre-pay - essential IMHO as PCR test results can’t be taken for granted outbound.

Not travelled for a while so trying to navigate my way through through the testing and recording processes (ex-GLA, so have to include local rules too&#128580 and suing the Randox place in Glasgow city centre (after the COP crowds leave on Monday) … friends live in Dubai and say everywhere is busy, so it’ll be a different break for us, despite us being fairly frequent visitors.

‘will report back anything noteworthy 👍🏻
"Suing" the Glasgow Randox place !? I'm assuming that's a typo. As a fellow GLA based flier who is off to Dubai in December, I was intending on using Randox in Glasgow too. Who have you used for 2 day lateral flow on return ?
As it happens, I'm actually off to Marjan island near RAK as part of a BA Holiday, but will probably pop in to Dubai for one day at least.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
I have to say that I've never seen such a blanket lack of CW award availability to DXB
Although small, you also have the effect of pax who had F seats (award or not) who've been downgraded to CW taking up seats/award seats in CW.
ratechaser likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
"Suing" the Glasgow Randox place !? I'm assuming that's a typo. As a fellow GLA based flier who is off to Dubai in December, I was intending on using Randox in Glasgow too. Who have you used for 2 day lateral flow on return ?
As it happens, I'm actually off to Marjan island near RAK as part of a BA Holiday, but will probably pop in to Dubai for one day at least.
Day 2 from Simply Test Me = £12

If your Premier permits it.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
‘spotted the typo late last night but knew that you’d know what I meant 😉 … yes, using Randox on Monday.

I was about to order two from Vivo at £14.90 but see someone just posted another option … figured so long as I stick to those on the Gov website I should be ok .. happy to hear any alternative recommendations too though
chris1922Mk2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.