BA & Dubai

Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Scotland has removed Dubai from the Travel Corridor list as of Monday 04:00 hrs GMT. Passengers originating from Dubai will need to self isolate for 10 days.
What is not clear - and the legislation has not been published anywhere I can see yet so I am working off a Scottish Government Press Release - is whether the exclusion of Dubai from the Scottish Travel Corridor List will be the whole emirate of Dubai or just Dubai Municipality/city.

The sceptical side of me suspects that the Scottish Government will have omitted from their consideration this matter and just state "Dubai" which is not helpful.

Last edited by flieduk; Jan 10, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by flieduk
What is not clear - and the legislation has not been published anywhere I can see yet so I am working off a Scottish Government Press Release is whether the exclusion of Dubai from the Scottish Travel Corridor List will be the whole emirate of Dubai or just Dubai Municipality/city.

The sceptical side of me suspects that the Scottish Government will have omitted from their consideration this matter and just state "Dubai" which is not helpful.
I would think the vast majority of people would fly into / out of DXB though even if staying in another Emirate. BA for example aren’t serving AUH are they?

With direct flights between GCC and Qatar re starting though if Qatar is on travel list and QR starts flights to AUH this might be a way around, although I have a feeling AUH are taking a different approach to DXB.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
What is not clear - and the legislation has not been published anywhere I can see yet so I am working off a Scottish Government Press Release is whether the exclusion of Dubai from the Scottish Travel Corridor List will be the whole emirate of Dubai or just Dubai Municipality/city.

• United Arab Emirates, except Dubai (arrivals from Dubai will be required to self-isolate on arrival from 04:00 Monday 11 January 2021. Those passengers that have travelled back to Scotland from Dubai since 3 January 2021 are also being asked to isolate for 10 days, from the date they arrived back in the country)

https://www.gov.scot/publications/co...es/exemptions/
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Published here https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021/6/contents/made

Although it is only Dubai as noted, it will still be an issue if you stayed somewhere else in the UAE and flew back from DXB.

Also to note, the bit about self isolating if you have arrived prior to 0400 tomorrow is just a request, and not legally mandated. Generally the changes in removing countries from the exemption list for all four UK nations has not been retrospective - if you are already in the UK you don’t have to self isolate, it only applies to arrivals after the change takes effect. This is the same here, so the bit about self isolating for anyone who arrived between 3 January and tomorrow is a request only. I think when Denmark was quickly removed due to #minkgate that may have been an exception and did have retrospective effect.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
  • United Arab Emirates, except Dubai (arrivals from Dubai will be required to self-isolate on arrival from 04:00 Monday 11 January 2021. Those passengers that have travelled back to Scotland from Dubai since 3 January 2021 are also being asked to isolate for 10 days, from the date they arrived back in the country)

https://www.gov.scot/publications/co...es/exemptions/

Yes. I can read that. However, that is not the operative legislation. It also does not make clear if the whole Emirate of Dubai is excluded or just Dubai City/Municipality.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Published here https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021/6/contents/made

Although it is only Dubai as noted, it will still be an issue if you stayed somewhere else in the UAE and flew back from DXB.
Thanks KARFA. It is also the whole Emirate not just Dubai City. I wonder if Whitehall follows suit...
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My interpretation is that anyone who used DXB airport or stayed in Dubai Emirate is in scope here. I can't see them using the 9 divsions of Dubai, not least since the airport is in al Gharoud, and not many people would be staying there. If you stayed in Abu Dhabi and only used AUH then you are still exempt from the need to self isolate.
KARFA and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:51 pm

duplicate

Last edited by flieduk; Jan 10, 2021 at 4:51 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:53 pm

My interpretation is that anyone who used DXB airport or stayed in Dubai Emirate is in scope here. I can't see them using the 9 divsions of Dubai, not least since the airport is in al Gharoud, and not many people would be staying there. If you stayed in Abu Dhabi and only used AUH then you are still exempt from the need to self isolate.
Yes. Mine too.

You would also be exempt if you arrived DXB (i.e. if using BA) then stayed in AUH then travelled direct to UK (or via Qatar for example when they open up).
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes. Mine too.

You would also be exempt if you arrived DXB (i.e. if using BA) then stayed in AUH then travelled direct to UK (or via Qatar for example when they open up).
Yes, only if there is a period of 10 days between you arriving in DXB before arriving back in the UK from AUH or DOH. Remember it is not just where you have arrived directly from in to the UK, it is everywhere you have been in the last 10 days.
jerry a. laska and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Only if you stayed 10 days or longer in Abu Dhabi (or elsewhere in the UAE) and left via AUH airport. Otherwise you have entered a restricted area during the relevant time period, similar to those who went to the Canaries via Madrid.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:00 pm

Only if you stayed 10 days or longer in Abu Dhabi (or elsewhere in the UAE) and left via AUH airport. Otherwise you have entered a restricted area during the relevant time period, similar to those who went to the Canaries via Madrid.
But of ofcourse you can reduce your 10 day self isolation by the amount of days you spent in Abu Dhabi or any other emirate after you left Dubai.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
It would be interesting to see the figures on which "Scotland" based its decision. In the BBC article (about Celtic) it quoted National clinical director Professor Jason Leitch on Off The Ball - The United Arab Emirates on Friday had 5,055 new cases - nearly double the Scottish numbers of cases.

According to the info I read, the UAE has not come anywhere near this number with the reported numbers being around 2800-3000 positive cases (in the last few days) - although this is much higher than it has been so clearly a cause for concern

Either way, I am hedging my bets and have changed my return to the UK from the 19th to the 15th Jan and will change it back again (back) to the 19th if the UAE survives another week on the travel corridor list.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Either way, I am hedging my bets and have changed my return to the UK from the 19th to the 15th Jan and will change it back again (back) to the 19th if the UAE survives another week on the travel corridor list.
Sensible plan indeed, as it's Thursdays when the corridors get changed starting the following Saturday ?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Sensible plan indeed, as it's Thursdays when the corridors get changed starting the following Saturday ?
unless they significant issue and close it off straight away like Denmark or South Africa
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.