Vouchers - who can use them?

Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Vouchers - who can use them?

We had several flights booked when the pandemic started which we voluntarily cancelled in exchange for a voucher. Some of these vouchers took ages to come through (not surprising) but it has meant that I am now a little confused over what vouchers I have with BA. Is there a way to get a statement so that I can confirm what vouchers we have and their value?

One of the flights was to the USA with my wife and daughter. Now that we are looking at re-booking that trip my daughter is unlikely to be able to join us as she will be returning to uni. I paid for all the tickets myself on one booking but of course the actual tickets are in individual names. Will I be able to use the value of my daughters ticket towards our flights (or other flights by me and my wife)? I have heard that the credit is for the use of the named ticket holder and not the person that paid for the ticket and if that is the case then we are likely to lose the value of her ticket as she is not likely to be flying anywhere in the next year.

Sorry if this info is already on the forum... I have searched but with so many threads on vouchers I may have missed it
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is in the Rebook thread, in respect of how FTVs are not really vouchers but tickets cleared of sectors, but I appreciate it is a somewhat congested thread now. FTVs are not transferable, they are made out to the original traveller, regardless of who paid, and can only be used by the person named on the original ticket for a new booking also in their name. The exception is BAH booking FTVs, where you can change the names around for the new booking so long as at least one name stays the same.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Lots of good info on the "rebooking with a voucher" thread Rebooking with e-voucher
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
BA in process of issueing EMDs for all those who accepted Vouchers. Technically there were no vouchers and just Booking on Hold.

If you have not got the EMD yet, suggest call and request them.

EMD will be in each passenger's name but can be used by anyone. Travel has to be before 30 Apr 2022.
And can be used for online bookings as well, so no need to call.

snaxmuppet suggest you check on your Exec Account online. All your bookings should be there.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I called the Gold help line and they can only convert FTVs that were redeemed after 5th August to EMDs... if a FTV was redeemed prior to 5th August then they remain as a held booking on the original booking reference and the value is credited to each person on the booking... so must be used by each individual rather than pooled.

This is a real pain for me as it is unlikely that my daughter will use her voucher (which I paid for!!!) even though they are valid up to April 2022... she doesn't normally travel abroad. She might now!

The agent did say that this was the current state of play and that it may change in the future.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Might it work to use the voucher to buy a ticket on a flight that is likely to be cancelled ? For example an early date flight to one of the non-approved US airports? I can see PHL for sale in October and would bet on the travel ban proclamation still being in force then.

If cancelled then it can be refunded. If not cancelled then (I think) you can go the voucher route again, so have lost nothing.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I called the Gold help line and they can only convert FTVs that were redeemed after 5th August to EMDs... if a FTV was redeemed prior to 5th August then they remain as a held booking on the original booking reference and the value is credited to each person on the booking... so must be used by each individual rather than pooled.
I'm not sure if that is right, or indeed what the situation is. I do know it has to be a simple flight-only booking and paid in cash. This is the response I got about converting a couple of FTVs which I got way back in March:

We've sent your booking XXXXXX to the Book with Confidence team so they can convert your voucher and you'll receive an email confirmation shortly. In relation to the booking XXXXXX, since it has been reissued previously and you used a Customer Relations voucher to make the booking, I'm afraid it isn't eligible for the conversion.

Not sure what they mean by 'shortly' as I got that response on 26 July, and right now both still appear as spurious bookings on Qantas MMB.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
I'm not sure if that is right, or indeed what the situation is. I do know it has to be a simple flight-only booking and paid in cash. This is the response I got about converting a couple of FTVs which I got way back in March:
Yes, I haven't asked for any FTVs to be transferred to EMD, but gradually that seems to be happening, one after the other, from March onwards. It doesn't make much difference to me, given that I have plenty of opportunities to use either FTVs or EMDs, but what I think is the more accurate answer is that more simple bookings from August onwards will generally end up as EMDs sooner rather than later, but older FTVs are also turning into EMDs, again if the booking was reasonably easy, without GUFs, part pay with Avios, POUGs and what not. So I think the version given to snaxmuppet is only part of the story - as is often the case with BA. But even if it stays as an FTV then at least the daughter can use it while she is young and I'm sure her father will take a benevolent view of this (eventually).
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
This is a real pain for me as it is unlikely that my daughter will use her voucher (which I paid for!!!) even though they are valid up to April 2022... she doesn't normally travel abroad. She might now!
If this rule sticks, get her to book the cheapest possible flight you can find with it (a Ł19 one-way PMI-LGW would do it). The residual will then be issued on a full EMD, which you can use for something far more exciting for yourself.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:47 pm

Deleted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.