Search

Flight Cancelled - Rebooking Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flight Cancelled - Rebooking Advice Needed

Hey y'all -

I am booked on a Dec 18 2020 BA278 flight from SJC to LHR. Last week, however, this flight was cancelled, as BA shifted to any every-other-day schedule.

As I understand it, due to the cancellation, I can choose between a refund or I can choose to be rebooked on another service where a seat is available. In the case of being rebooked, as I understand it, the passenger is not required to pay any difference in fare or fees. Do I have this correct?

I still wish to travel, so I want to be rebooked onto either the service on the 17th or 19th. However, when I contact JustFly (the OTA through whom I booked the ticket), they are advising me that I will have to pay a difference in fair. That, in order to be rebooked, I will be issued a voucher for the value of my original ticket which will then be applied to any new booking. This to me seems completely incorrect, but is this how this in fact works?

I have contacted BA directly, but they tell me they're unable to take control of the booking. and I have escalated with JustFly to no avail. I don't seem to know who or how to escalate it to, or what words to say.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation? Many thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by matticusbond
Hey y'all -

I am booked on a Dec 18 2020 BA278 flight from SJC to LHR. Last week, however, this flight was cancelled, as BA shifted to any every-other-day schedule.

As I understand it, due to the cancellation, I can choose between a refund or I can choose to be rebooked on another service where a seat is available. In the case of being rebooked, as I understand it, the passenger is not required to pay any difference in fare or fees. Do I have this correct?

I still wish to travel, so I want to be rebooked onto either the service on the 17th or 19th. However, when I contact JustFly (the OTA through whom I booked the ticket), they are advising me that I will have to pay a difference in fair. That, in order to be rebooked, I will be issued a voucher for the value of my original ticket which will then be applied to any new booking. This to me seems completely incorrect, but is this how this in fact works?

I have contacted BA directly, but they tell me they're unable to take control of the booking. and I have escalated with JustFly to no avail. I don't seem to know who or how to escalate it to, or what words to say.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation? Many thanks!
In principle from BA's point of view you are correct. Either a full refund or a new similar flight with you not paying any extra. Neither the change fee or fare difference. For an SJC flight, any SFO flights if more convenient would be possible, along with other SJC flights a number of days either side. You could even try for a SJC-XXX-LHR routing for more TPs if you do desired on the same day with an AA connection potentially.

BUT not sure how easy it is for your Travel Agent to play ball with that or whether their own terms and conditions contradict the above, or whether that's even legal. I'm sure someone such as the all knowing CWS will be along to give more specific details. Not any use to you now I know, but booking direct with the airlines is much easier to deal with in the case of IRROPS.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Here’s the thread for your query:

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Slightly more complicated using an online travel agent!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Here’s the thread for your query:

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Slightly more complicated using an online travel agent!
Cheers! popped it in there.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: HH Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriot Platinum, BA Exec Silver
Don’t play their game!

I had a flight with an Asia based airline booked through an agent to save money (which I will never do again). The airline cancelled the flight. Flight centre UK asked me to cancel my ticket so they could apply their own £300 cancellation charge. Despite pointing out legally why this was incorrect they wouldn’t shift their position. They then reduced their cancellation charge but the airline cancellation fee would still apply - to a cancelled ticket! I spoke with the airline who were very clear on my options to rebook or take a future dated voucher. I ended up reclaiming my money through Amex chargeback and rebooking directly with the airline. It might be to your benefit to do the same. I was told by one of the people dealing with my case that a lot of agents are doing this. I got the money and rebooked, managing to get the tickets at a cheaper price. Don’t play their game!
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by highflier73
I had a flight with an Asia based airline booked through an agent to save money (which I will never do again). The airline cancelled the flight. Flight centre UK asked me to cancel my ticket so they could apply their own £300 cancellation charge. Despite pointing out legally why this was incorrect they wouldn’t shift their position. They then reduced their cancellation charge but the airline cancellation fee would still apply - to a cancelled ticket! I spoke with the airline who were very clear on my options to rebook or take a future dated voucher. I ended up reclaiming my money through Amex chargeback and rebooking directly with the airline. It might be to your benefit to do the same. I was told by one of the people dealing with my case that a lot of agents are doing this. I got the money and rebooked, managing to get the tickets at a cheaper price. Don’t play their game!
A lot of travel agencies are playing this game. A lot of airlines are behaving like that as well.

I am very impressed with how BA have handled all of my refunds. While it is mildly annoying having to call to get a refund instead of the old online-cancellation option, I am sick and tired of the other airlines/travel agents that I had to deal with through credit card disputes or the small claim court.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 5:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by matticusbond
Cheers! popped it in there.
Thanks. We’ll close this thread so that discussion flows in one place

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.