Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody else LHR-SEZ in Sep?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Anybody else LHR-SEZ in Sep?

The latest list (updated 5th Aug) of permitted tourists doesn’t have UK on there. I guess there will be some diplomatic ping pong going on behind the scenes but anybody else booked for Seychelles in Sep?

List (continually updated) here:
Home - Department of Health - Seychelles

Flights from LHR restart on 1st Sep - do you think that they would cancel in the event British citizens are still denied access?

The hope is diplomacy wins out with the Seychelles economy relying on tourism but obviously uncertain times!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
We were going on 2/9 but cancelled on grounds we couldn’t get in, and getting a test in the timelines, which then was 48-hours before entry, but now is 72-hours before departure

im surprised BA hasn’t cancelled the flights yet
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Booked for November, before covid was a thing.

The last question on their FAQs, seem to suggest quarantining is required. FAQS - Department of Health - Seychelles

I appreciate quarantining in a hotel may be fine, but quarantining in a hotel room may be not.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:37 am

We are booked for 09-Sep and keeping an eye on the SEZ health advisory which, as you say, was last updated on 5th August. Interestingly, that last update didn't appear online until last Friday so I'm hoping this week's will be there tomorrow. Given what's happening in other European countries at the moment, I doubt many of those currently listed will remain on there. If they do, and the UK is kept off, you've got to question the motivation. I'm holding tight at the moment as my balance isn't due until 19th August so will make a judgment call then as to whether I pay the balance and risk it but keep the booking live, or ignore it and forfeit my deposit.

If the latter, any ideas on whether you can claim on insurance for the deposit? Especially if UK travellers are still denied on the scheduled date of departure?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:00 am
Original Poster

I'm insured with my NatWest account for Worldwide family cover and it does cover lost deposits as I used that for a cancelled trip to Hong Kong that was scheduled for March.

There is a British High Commission there so I'm sure they'll be pushing for allowing Brits in given it's a small place but I'm expecting a cancellation message from BA any day to be honest! This particular one has been shuffled around 5 or 6 times but hanging in there for now, guessing if it gets to a week before 1st (when flights LHR-SEZ restart) they'll just cancel the whole of Sep.

We also are going on the 9th - well, hope to be at least
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:33 am

We are booked to go with BA holidays 28th October but I am not too optimistic. We already have moved it once from May due to Corona. It seems like the department of health update on a Wednesday but don't post it to the Friday from looking each week. Fingers crossed to everyone!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:54 am

SEZ List of countries

Department of Health has refreshed the list today (dated Tuesday 17th August) and the UK remains off the list :-(

EDIT: I think it should read Tuesday 11th August as next Tuesday is the 18th, not 17th so there might be a further update next week though might not show until Friday.

Last edited by Born2turnleft; Aug 14, 2020 at 3:19 am
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Yeah saw that - I guess BA will cancel if access isn't allowed, particularly when the flight has barely got 20 bods on up to now. But yeah will check back in a week or two!
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Born2turnleft
SEZ List of countries

Department of Health has refreshed the list today (dated Tuesday 17th August) and the UK remains off the list :-(

EDIT: I think it should read Tuesday 11th August as next Tuesday is the 18th, not 17th so there might be a further update next week though might not show until Friday.
They update the list a few days before it becomes effective... "effective on Monday 17th August 2020"
The other thing to check is your accommodation is on the the list
https://www.seychelles.travel/images...t-07.08.20.pdf
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:02 am

UK still not on the green list I see!

Credit where it's due to BA though....got a call from them last Wednesday afternoon (T-21 days) to advise that as the country was still closed to UK on arrival, we could keep the booking open and see what happens closer to the time or proceed with cancelling the holiday. We decided to cancel and were told the deposit would be refunded within 14-21 days. It went back on my AMEX within 24 hours!

Apparently, BA take a view at 3 weeks out based on FCO guidelines and make a call from there. I'm not sure if calls were done widely (I did contact You First at the weekend as MAN-LHR leg cancelled so triggered a whole cancellation preventing me from going online to pay the balance) but great service from BA given the generally negative comments online about their COVID-related approach.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I have had two cancellations on my SEZ trip so far and am now rebooked for a mid September departure.
Given that 4 countries on the SEZ safe country list have higher infection rates than the UK, I'm still somewhat hopeful that we'll be added.

What's slightly more concerning is that Chateau de Feuilles is conspicuously absent from the approved accommodation list.
Indeed it is seemingly the only 5* property in the Seychelles not to feature...

http://tourism.gov.sc/wp-content/upl...t-24-08-20.pdf
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:01 am

Ive been watching the counties add/removed from the list, so yep fingers crossed the UK gets on the green list.

Belgium REMOVED
cuba REMOVED
france REMOVED
greece REMOVED
malta REMOVED
netherlands REMOVED
ADDED portugal
ADDED Singapore
ADDED srilanka
ADDED UAE
Jermyn likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Ive been watching the counties add/removed from the list, so yep fingers crossed the UK gets on the green list.

Belgium REMOVED
cuba REMOVED
france REMOVED
greece REMOVED
malta REMOVED
netherlands REMOVED
ADDED portugal
ADDED Singapore
ADDED srilanka
ADDED UAE
Do they consider the countries people are travelling from or their citizenship? Living in the UK as a British Citizen but multiple passport holder....
Old Aug 27, 2020, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Do they consider the countries people are travelling from or their citizenship? Living in the UK as a British Citizen but multiple passport holder....
Dont think it matters in the context of this conversation, although i guess you could ask to be RE-ROUTED if BA cancel your flight and you are in one of the countries listed. Also I am not sure of the exact rules, but the UK gov dont care about your passport, just where you have been in the last 14 days, i assume most governments would be the same.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:30 am

Very surprised BA flights are still scheduled for next week despite the ban on entry still enforced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.