Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Flying to iceland B2B COVID test needed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

Hi everyone,

I have read about the b2b on BA destinations post and still struggling to figure out the picture due to the current situation.

I am planning for a TP run (b2b) to KEF in September. I am worrying whether I would need to pass through passport control and security, as well as the COVID test or not when I am just transiting in the airport and get back on the BA metal back to London.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure on this one, although recent thread below has plenty of other helpful info

BA email re travel to Iceland
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flyingroundtheworld
Hi everyone,

I have read about the b2b on BA destinations post and still struggling to figure out the picture due to the current situation.

I am planning for a TP run (b2b) to KEF in September. I am worrying whether I would need to pass through passport control and security, as well as the COVID test or not when I am just transiting in the airport and get back on the BA metal back to London.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
When you arrive at KEF you arrive at the departure gate on a B2B. A bit like AMS.

Ordinarily if you were transferring from the BA flight to any other international (non Schengen) flight including a B2B, there would be NO security or passport control. Obviously this could have changed since the pandemic.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You should be ok. As noted you don't go through immigration.

For Iceland you are supposed to fill in a pre-registration form before you arrive. I don't know whether BA will expect you to have that, these rules are not really written with b2b in mind so you may be best just doing one for the sake of showing it if needed.

You will need to complete a passenger locator form for your return in the UK, but as Iceland is an exempt country no self isolation needed.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I’ve arrived in Iceland today. I was asked at checkin at LHR whether I’d done the form for entry into Iceland but it wasn’t physically checked.

If you’re doing a b2b then you won’t get to the point at KEF where the form would be needed or checked either.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Just a word of warning for anyone planning to come to Iceland soon. The Icelandic government is changing the rules for visitors and residents in the next few days (18 Aug I think) and all arrivals will have to quarantine for a few days (I heard 4, may be 6) on arrival, irrespective of the test result on arrival. Our hotel receptionist for this evening and a restaurant manager both mentioned it today and they’re worried about the knock on effect to their businesses. Not sure if this would impact a b2b but would definitely impact a short break.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Just a word of warning for anyone planning to come to Iceland soon. The Icelandic government is changing the rules for visitors and residents in the next few days (18 Aug I think) and all arrivals will have to quarantine for a few days (I heard 4, may be 6) on arrival, irrespective of the test result on arrival. Our hotel receptionist for this evening and a restaurant manager both mentioned it today and they’re worried about the knock on effect to their businesses. Not sure if this would impact a b2b but would definitely impact a short break.
Great. Another short break down the pan. After cancelling a few trips to AMS over the next few weeks I was at least optimistic my 4 day trip to Iceland in early September would survive. Apparently not!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
That is a really good piece of information, I was about to book my b2b Iceland for late September. I will perhaps stay put for now and wait for what is going to happen.
I have done some research online and the Iceland gov document says "airport flight transfers" is listed as "essential travel" under the Iceland regulations, and are available for passengers that are non-EEA and non-EU countries provided that they do not enter the Schengen area.

Hope b2b will not be affected and hope the situation will be better soon.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Great. Another short break down the pan. After cancelling a few trips to AMS over the next few weeks I was at least optimistic my 4 day trip to Iceland in early September would survive. Apparently not!
it’s worth waiting to see how it pans out I think. I’m just surprised that this doesn’t seem to be mentioned too much so I was wondering if I’d got it wrong - but I’ve now heard it from 3 different people in Iceland so I’m guessing there must be something behind it - it was apparently decided 2 or 3 days ago by the Icelandic authorities. The good news about coming to Iceland is that at least one gets tested so at least I know I tested negative earlier this week 😊👍

https://www.ferdamalastofa.is/en/moy...ing-passengers
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Aug 15, 2020 at 11:47 am
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:05 pm

it’s worth waiting to see how it pans out I think. I’m just surprised that this doesn’t seem to be mentioned too much so I was wondering if I’d got it wrong - but I’ve now heard it from 3 different people in Iceland so I’m guessing there must be something behind it - it was apparently decided 2 or 3 days ago by the Icelandic authorities. The good news about coming to Iceland is that at least one gets tested so at least I know I tested negative earlier this week 😊👍

https://www.ferdamalastofa.is/en/moy...ing-passengers
I agree, I will leave it for now if only to see if flights get cancelled so I can just get a full refund. Otherwise I will just FTV.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yep. That’s next weekend ruined for me. Had VCE, LJU, BRI and CTA all cancelled or made unviable by flight times in Sep too. Lame.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I would suspect that almost no government in the world has written its rules even considering the possibility of anyone wanting to do a B2B.
nancypants, Often1, HIDDY and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fruitcage
I would suspect that almost no government in the world has written its rules even considering the possibility of anyone wanting to do a B2B.
This. It will all depend on the physical layout of the turnaround airport and whether one deplanes into an area accessible for departing passengers.

The number of people doing turns on the same aircraft -- other than perhaps the crew -- is infintesimal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.