Why are BA using buses at T5?

Old Aug 11, 20, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Why are BA using buses at T5?

Arrived on a flight from Amsterdam earlier today.

Flight was on time. We go to a remote stand, then wait for a bus and stairs. Then after about 1/2 the pax have disembarked, it is discovered that the stairs are misaligned. So we wait 20 minutes while a driver is found for the stairs. Then another wait for a bus!

Finally get into the terminal about 40 min after landing. About as long as the flight was.

One assumes air bridges will be available for all flights at T5 considering BA are not flying their full schedule.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 20, 8:05 am

With aircraft in the ground longer than usual thats probably why all the on pier gates are taken or they are being saved for the really late arrivals like LGW flights. They may as well make best use of their bus drivers too.
Old Aug 11, 20, 8:13 am

Crikey warm day to be cocking around on buses & stairs outside
HFHFFlyer, SxMan and paulieuk like this.
Old Aug 11, 20, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by speedbuslhr View Post
With aircraft in the ground longer than usual thats probably why all the on pier gates are taken or they are being saved for the really late arrivals like LGW flights. They may as well make best use of their bus drivers too.
Maybe get them to drive the passengers from Amsterdam instead.
Old Aug 11, 20, 8:51 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
I think someone has mentioned before that BA is using buses for AMS due to financial reasons.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 11, 20, 8:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
I think someone has mentioned before that BA is using buses for AMS due to financial reasons.
For arrivals at AMS? BA don't use buses and never have in my experience.

If you are referring to the OP's complaint it is about using buses at LHR and I can't see there being a cost benefit for using buses vs a jetbridge on T5?
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:01 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
My last arrival at DOH from LHR on QR, a month ago, was bussed too. It's annoying, but I suspect that the current situation throws up new challenges. That said QR do buses, at least for J, very well.
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Crikey warm day to be cocking around on buses & stairs outside
Exactly. It was getting pretty steamy on the plane and on the bus

They're using air bridges at AMS

Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
Considering it took just about 5 hours door to door to get to Central London from Central Amsterdam........

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 11, 20 at 1:40 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
The taxi at Schiphol takes you half the distance anyway, particularly if you're going to LCY
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:15 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
For arrivals at AMS? BA don't use buses and never have in my experience.

If you are referring to the OP's complaint it is about using buses at LHR and I can't see there being a cost benefit for using buses vs a jetbridge on T5?
My bad i misread the thread. I thought was LHR to AMS. I do not remember who mentioned it but i will have a look later on. It might be another destination.

As far as i remember buses are a bit cheaper than jetbridges?
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
My bad i misread the thread. I thought was LHR to AMS. I do not remember who mentioned it but i will have a look later on. It might be another destination.

I think it was FRA (I remember reading about it too). I'd rather fly through there than through MAN, but only marginally...
Old Aug 11, 20, 1:26 pm

There are no fees for arriving passengers at Heathrow. For departures there is indeed a rebate for remote stands, but obviously this has to be offset against the cost of operating and staffing the buses themselves.

There are many elongated turnarounds at T5 at the moment, for obvious reasons, so buses will be a fact of life. It doesnít help that (unlike T2 and to some extent T4) there arenít any handy tow-off stands that can easily be used, so itís a case of leave it on or tow it over to Eastbase.
Old Aug 11, 20, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by mrandery View Post
One assumes air bridges will be available for all flights at T5 considering BA are not flying their full schedule.
One assumes incorrectly.
Old Aug 11, 20, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I am firmly in the camp of people who are incredulous that BA can't avoid bussing passengers even with their current reduced schedule, and additionally am not impressed whatsoever that they would cram their passengers onto a badly ventilated bus instead of allowing them to transfer directly from the well-ventilated aircraft to the well-ventilated terminal.

Buses don't have aircraft-grade ventilation systems and we don't need any more occasions of being packed together to cough viruses on each other than necessary.
Old Aug 11, 20, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I am firmly in the camp of people who are incredulous that BA can't avoid bussing passengers even with their current reduced schedule, and additionally am not impressed whatsoever that they would cram their passengers onto a badly ventilated bus instead of allowing them to transfer directly from the well-ventilated aircraft to the well-ventilated terminal.

Buses don't have aircraft-grade ventilation systems and we don't need any more occasions of being packed together to cough viruses on each other than necessary.
i fully agree and if neither BA nor Heathrow airport can operate safely then they must be stopped from operating. My flight last week bussed - passing 5 empty stands in T5A including 503.

football matches in Scotland have been stopped for players breaking rules yet thousands are allowed to queue in penned areas for Check-in and immigration or crammed 50-70 in badly ventilated busses just after being told to remain 2 m apart in the aisle of the aircraft!! Itís a joke

The sign on check in desks that BA take safety seriously is risible.
hessbo, Dover2Golf, DaveS and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: