FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why are BA using buses at T5? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2023170-why-ba-using-buses-t5.html)

mrandery Aug 11, 2020 7:56 am

Why are BA using buses at T5?

Arrived on a flight from Amsterdam earlier today.

Flight was on time. We go to a remote stand, then wait for a bus and stairs. Then after about 1/2 the pax have disembarked, it is discovered that the stairs are misaligned. So we wait 20 minutes while a driver is found for the stairs. Then another wait for a bus!

Finally get into the terminal about 40 min after landing. About as long as the flight was.

One assumes air bridges will be available for all flights at T5 considering BA are not flying their full schedule.

speedbuslhr Aug 11, 2020 8:05 am

With aircraft in the ground longer than usual thats probably why all the on pier gates are taken or they are being saved for the really late arrivals like LGW flights. They may as well make best use of their bus drivers too.

mikeyfly Aug 11, 2020 8:13 am

Crikey warm day to be cocking around on buses & stairs outside

SteveF Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Originally Posted by speedbuslhr (Post 32596341)
With aircraft in the ground longer than usual thats probably why all the on pier gates are taken or they are being saved for the really late arrivals like LGW flights. They may as well make best use of their bus drivers too.

Maybe get them to drive the passengers from Amsterdam instead.

ermis177 Aug 11, 2020 8:51 am

I think someone has mentioned before that BA is using buses for AMS due to financial reasons.

KARFA Aug 11, 2020 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 32596467)
I think someone has mentioned before that BA is using buses for AMS due to financial reasons.

For arrivals at AMS? BA don't use buses and never have in my experience.

If you are referring to the OP's complaint it is about using buses at LHR and I can't see there being a cost benefit for using buses vs a jetbridge on T5?

Dan72 Aug 11, 2020 9:01 am

My last arrival at DOH from LHR on QR, a month ago, was bussed too. It's annoying, but I suspect that the current situation throws up new challenges. That said QR do buses, at least for J, very well.

mrandery Aug 11, 2020 9:01 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 32596365)
Crikey warm day to be cocking around on buses & stairs outside

Exactly. It was getting pretty steamy on the plane and on the bus

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 32596467)

They're using air bridges at AMS

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 32596380)

Considering it took just about 5 hours door to door to get to Central London from Central Amsterdam........

alex67500 Aug 11, 2020 9:07 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 32596380)

The taxi at Schiphol takes you half the distance anyway, particularly if you're going to LCY :D

ermis177 Aug 11, 2020 9:15 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 32596477)
For arrivals at AMS? BA don't use buses and never have in my experience.

If you are referring to the OP's complaint it is about using buses at LHR and I can't see there being a cost benefit for using buses vs a jetbridge on T5?

My bad i misread the thread. I thought was LHR to AMS. I do not remember who mentioned it but i will have a look later on. It might be another destination.

As far as i remember buses are a bit cheaper than jetbridges?

alex67500 Aug 11, 2020 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 32596526)
My bad i misread the thread. I thought was LHR to AMS. I do not remember who mentioned it but i will have a look later on. It might be another destination.

I think it was FRA (I remember reading about it too). I'd rather fly through there than through MAN, but only marginally...

Confus Aug 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 32596526)

There are no fees for arriving passengers at Heathrow. For departures there is indeed a rebate for remote stands, but obviously this has to be offset against the cost of operating and staffing the buses themselves.

There are many elongated turnarounds at T5 at the moment, for obvious reasons, so buses will be a fact of life. It doesn’t help that (unlike T2 and to some extent T4) there aren’t any handy tow-off stands that can easily be used, so it’s a case of leave it on or tow it over to Eastbase.

Airprox Aug 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mrandery (Post 32596322)
One assumes air bridges will be available for all flights at T5 considering BA are not flying their full schedule.

One assumes incorrectly.

flatlander Aug 11, 2020 2:23 pm

I am firmly in the camp of people who are incredulous that BA can't avoid bussing passengers even with their current reduced schedule, and additionally am not impressed whatsoever that they would cram their passengers onto a badly ventilated bus instead of allowing them to transfer directly from the well-ventilated aircraft to the well-ventilated terminal.

Buses don't have aircraft-grade ventilation systems and we don't need any more occasions of being packed together to cough viruses on each other than necessary.

binman Aug 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 32597455)
I am firmly in the camp of people who are incredulous that BA can't avoid bussing passengers even with their current reduced schedule, and additionally am not impressed whatsoever that they would cram their passengers onto a badly ventilated bus instead of allowing them to transfer directly from the well-ventilated aircraft to the well-ventilated terminal.

Buses don't have aircraft-grade ventilation systems and we don't need any more occasions of being packed together to cough viruses on each other than necessary.

i fully agree and if neither BA nor Heathrow airport can operate safely then they must be stopped from operating. My flight last week bussed - passing 5 empty stands in T5A including 503.

football matches in Scotland have been stopped for players breaking rules yet thousands are allowed to queue in penned areas for Check-in and immigration or crammed 50-70 in badly ventilated busses just after being told to remain 2 m apart in the aisle of the aircraft!! It’s a joke

The sign on check in desks that BA take safety seriously is risible.