BA estore

Old Aug 10, 20, 10:24 am
MzG
Original Poster

BA estore

I havenít been on the forum for a very long time, and apologies if this has been discussed, but I am not great with forums and not sure how to search etc. I use the BA eStore, but just lately things are going crazy. I made a fairly large purchase, and returned just one item costing £20. Once again they have taken back all the avios, plus even more than I received in the first place. This happens every time I return one item (usually the smallest as it happens). I never get these back and find it increasingly difficult to get anybody to listen. Is there a knack to getting the avios back?

Many thanks, stay safe
Old Aug 10, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Welcome back to the forum MzG, whilst not directly discussed, there is a rather active thread about things eStore related here: BA eStore Reversals Common or just me!?
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:11 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Hi All,

I was wondering if this is normal. I have recently started using the BA estore and have noticed that the points you are rewarded is not what is promised! For example, I purchased an item from Mr Porter for 40 GBP - excluding delivery. Also, the promised points per pound was 9 avios per pound. So I should have received 9 x 40 = 30 avios. However, I only received 200! I have a screenshot below:

Is this normal? For the record, this has happened on every purchase. Here is another example when I purchased two nights at a Marriot Hotel for 107 GBP (offer is 5 avios per pound):

So as you can see - once I'm quoted the wrong purchase amount and wrong number of avios on that, and another time the wrong number of avios on the right purchase amount. Has this happened to others?
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:18 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by HB7 View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if this is normal. I have recently started using the BA estore and have noticed that the points you are rewarded is not what is promised! For example, I purchased an item from Mr Porter for 40 GBP - excluding delivery. Also, the promised points per pound was 9 avios per pound. So I should have received 9 x 40 = 30 avios. However, I only received 200! I have a screenshot below:

Is this normal? For the record, this has happened on every purchase. Here is another example when I purchased two nights at a Marriot Hotel for 107 GBP (offer is 5 avios per pound):

So as you can see - once I'm quoted the wrong purchase amount and wrong number of avios on that, and another time the wrong number of avios on the right purchase amount. Has this happened to others?
I know you don't get points on TAX/VAT etc. so 20% less normally.
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Don’t like your maths !
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:41 pm
HB7

Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
I know you don't get points on TAX/VAT etc. so 20% less normally.
Ok - so on the Mr Porter purchase, if we take VAT off the 40 GBP, it makes sense. But 9 avios x 33 = 297 avios, not 200. So what is happening there?

And with Marriott, 107 x 5 avios = 535 avios. So what happened there?
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
I make multiple purchases every month and often find that the Avios paid is a lot less than that advised in the order email confirmation.

I tend to let it go as I make so many purchases, but it is more than a little dishonest.
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:56 pm

Ok - so on the Mr Porter purchase, if we take VAT off the 40 GBP, it makes sense. But 9 avios x 33 = 297 avios, not 200. So what is happening there?

And with Marriott, 107 x 5 avios = 535 avios. So what happened there?

So Marriott
Price £108, minus VAT (0.8 x 108) = £86.4

86.4 x 5 = 432.

No problem here.
Old Jan 27, 21, 2:29 pm
HB7

So Marriott

86.4 x 5 = 432.

No problem here.
Fair enough - that makes sense. But the Mr Porter transaction still doesn't.

Also - just on that. The Marriott purchase was 107 including VAT. The Mr Porter purchase was 40 including VAT. Why are they showing one with VAT and one without?
Old Jan 27, 21, 2:44 pm

Also - just on that. The Marriott purchase was 107 including VAT. The Mr Porter purchase was 40 including VAT. Why are they showing one with VAT and one without?
Most retailers pay net of VAT but a few pay inclusive of VAT. I have had one example of VAT being clawed back over multiple transactions when the retailer realised that too much had been paid - rather annoying but fair enough. If you get an award on the gross figure, consider yourself lucky but brace yourself for an adjustment.

I have never used Mr Porter, but I have found other businesses in the Net-a-Porter group to be extremely fair, accurate and prompt with awards. I have had one clawback when I attempted to stack the eStore with and American Express cash back which, again, was fair enough and in accordance with the T&Cs. The current offer says, "You will earn a lower reward on purchases that include luxury watches, sale items and selected sneakers." - I doubt if £40 would cover a luxury watch but maybe it was a sale item?
Old Jan 27, 21, 2:58 pm
HB7

Originally Posted by aahjnnot View Post
Most retailers pay net of VAT but a few pay inclusive of VAT. I have had one example of VAT being clawed back over multiple transactions when the retailer realised that too much had been paid - rather annoying but fair enough. If you get an award on the gross figure, consider yourself lucky but brace yourself for an adjustment.

I have never used Mr Porter, but I have found other businesses in the Net-a-Porter group to be extremely fair, accurate and prompt with awards. I have had one clawback when I attempted to stack the eStore with and American Express cash back which, again, was fair enough and in accordance with the T&Cs. The current offer says, "You will earn a lower reward on purchases that include luxury watches, sale items and selected sneakers." - I doubt if £40 would cover a luxury watch but maybe it was a sale item?
Yeh I see, that's fair enough. And it was a sale item that I purchased - a journal that was half off. Thanks for that, I wasn't sure and I just wanted clarification.
Old Jan 27, 21, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So Marriott

86.4 x 5 = 432.

No problem here.

Actually, if the Marriott purchase price was £107.90 including VAT, then that's actually £89.92 net + (20% x £89.92 = £17.98) = £107.90.

So 432 Avios on the net amount would work out to be about 4.8 Avios per £1, which doesn't make as much sense.

So I wonder whether the explanation for all of this is that the calculations are done manually, and that they got the Marriott one wrong in the way that you've set out.
Old Jan 27, 21, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Actually, if the Marriott purchase price was £107.90 including VAT, then that's actually £89.92 net + (20% x £89.92 = £17.98) = £107.90.

So 432 Avios on the net amount would work out to be about 4.8 Avios per £1, which doesn't make as much sense.

So I wonder whether the explanation for all of this is that the calculations are done manually, and that they got the Marriott one wrong in the way that you've set out.
They must of worked it out wrong, like I did.

to be fair, I reversed engineered getting there. Of course its £108 / 120 x 100. Not 0.8 x £108.
Old Jan 28, 21, 1:47 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Also, the promised points per pound was 9 avios per pound. So I should have received 9 x 40 = 30 avios. However, I only received 200!
Yes, I'm not sure there was ever a 'promise' of 9 per pound as it says 'Up to 9 Avios / £'. And there are plenty of other caveats under 'What will stop me collecting Avios':

Collect 3 Avios / £1 on Sale items.
Using voucher or offer codes when you make a transaction could result in you not collecting Avios or collecting less Avios than the advertised rate.
Rewards are not calculated on postage / handling / delivery costs or associated purchase taxes in your region (This may include but not be limited to VAT, GST etc).

We do as much as we can through the estore, even cancelling and re-booking hotels when there is an avios promotion! It is always intriguing to compare what we thought we might get against what is actually stated in the email - however we have always eventually had that stated amount credited.
Old Jan 28, 21, 3:41 am
HB7

Originally Posted by vintagepilot View Post
Yes, I'm not sure there was ever a 'promise' of 9 per pound as it says 'Up to 9 Avios / £'. And there are plenty of other caveats under 'What will stop me collecting Avios':

Collect 3 Avios / £1 on Sale items.
Using voucher or offer codes when you make a transaction could result in you not collecting Avios or collecting less Avios than the advertised rate.
Rewards are not calculated on postage / handling / delivery costs or associated purchase taxes in your region (This may include but not be limited to VAT, GST etc).

We do as much as we can through the estore, even cancelling and re-booking hotels when there is an avios promotion! It is always intriguing to compare what we thought we might get against what is actually stated in the email - however we have always eventually had that stated amount credited.
I still plan to use the estore where I can. I only started using it this month as I'm a new BAEC member and was checking other people's experiences.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: