KUL drops F

Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Essex Flyer
Same issue for Nov/Dec flights. If aircraft change to 787-8 then no Club Suite right?
Correct unfortunately. The refurbishment schedule for the 787-8 and 787-9 hasn't been announced, and neither has it for the A380 (although I doubt that fleet will ever see CS, even if it returns to service).
Old Aug 8, 2020, 4:20 pm

Wasnt KUL always seen as a bit marginal so perhaps no surprise regarding the changes?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
It was a space release, Avois, GUF, 241 ticket. So rather disappointed it's gone - but full refund is available I suppose (yet to call)
We'll probably cancel entirely and have some weekends away in the UK.
Unlikely to fly now until April next year when my year resets. Shame.
Not sure what other good options there are to the East where quarantine isn't likely to be a barrier (wishful thinking).
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Same happened to me over the weekend, but you may wish to phone BA as they were able to transfer to me to Singapore on the same date and created space in F (Avios booking on a 2-4-1 Voucher).
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by gw76
Wasnt KUL always seen as a bit marginal so perhaps no surprise regarding the changes?
This, I think its far from certain KUL will operate before EOS at this point with Malaysian quarantine measures as they are. Lots of people counting their chickens, proverbially speaking, in this thread by talking about downgrades to J for flights scheduled this calendar this year. I have a feeling KUL traffic is likely to be shunted via SIN for a while even after things start to pick up and therell be a similar fate for a lot of longhaul routes that could just about support a 787 in the pre-COVID times.
Schwann likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I have had many nice flights in F on the 789 to KUL, seems strange that it will now be a 788 when BKK seems to have a 789 in Oct/Nov and they are not selling F
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:00 am

When there is presumably a shortage of frames, varying cargo lift (and options for them to transport by other means) its probably not that strange. They could have equally used 789 to KUL without offering F.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
There seem to be a lot anecdotal tales in the last week or so of routes with aircraft that have F and yet it is not being sold.

I am starting to wonder if it is going completely? Or at least temporarily whilst they cant fulfill the full F product (F&B, spa, CCR etc). Perhaps they are targeting a proper return of J and putting F on the back burner for a bit.

TFC
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:45 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I tried this too but got through to India call centre and after an hour on the phone she said there was no avios availability
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fdem
I tried this too but got through to India call centre and after an hour on the phone she said there was no avios availability
Same thing happened to us. Booked to KUL in First for next March but cabin removed over the weekend and flight cancelled although in reality, the same flight was still operating but with 3-class and a 10 minute schedule change. Spent ages talking with YouFirst in India to get absolutely nowhere. Kept calling back until I got through to the UK and asked for Club seats to be opened to BKK for the same day but they refused, saying its a different zone and there was no Avios availability. As a result, we had to cancel the KUL flights and pay 70 cancellation fee which seemed very harsh but the lady on the other end of the phone just wouldnt see reason even though theyd caused it. We then rebooked to BKK a day later than we wanted when there was availability but we were lucky to get the seats at all and well now keep an eye out for availability on the dates we do want, just in case. Was it right that we were charged a cancellation fee when BA removed the cabin? And is it right that theres no consistent policy with regard to seats being made available regardless of Avios availability when the situation is caused by BA in the first place through removing First and some are lucky whereas some are not?
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Same thing happened to us. Booked to KUL in First for next March but cabin removed over the weekend and flight cancelled although in reality, the same flight was still operating but with 3-class and a 10 minute schedule change. Spent ages talking with YouFirst in India to get absolutely nowhere. Kept calling back until I got through to the UK and asked for Club seats to be opened to BKK for the same day but they refused, saying its a different zone and there was no Avios availability. As a result, we had to cancel the KUL flights and pay 70 cancellation fee which seemed very harsh but the lady on the other end of the phone just wouldnt see reason even though theyd caused it. We then rebooked to BKK a day later than we wanted when there was availability but we were lucky to get the seats at all and well now keep an eye out for availability on the dates we do want, just in case. Was it right that we were charged a cancellation fee when BA removed the cabin? And is it right that theres no consistent policy with regard to seats being made available regardless of Avios availability when the situation is caused by BA in the first place through removing First and some are lucky whereas some are not?
At minimum youre due a full refund so you can chargeback the 70 cancellation fee. Id argue youre also due a re-route in the same cabin under EU regs but someone else can advise better.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Thanks drakepassage. I think you’re right and I have been thinking of having a moan at them as it doesn’t feel right. Also, this is against a backdrop of constant changes to future flights. Many thanks for replying and safe travels.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I accepted my F downgrade to J on an award 241 in March but note that I have not received any Avios back into my account to reflect the delta between the classes, is it automatic or do I have to chase?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
I’m booked to fly to KUL in January and was notified of the change from 787-9 to -8 last week but I have no expectation of being allowed to enter Malaysia.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:58 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I accepted my F downgrade to J on an award 241 in March but note that I have not received any Avios back into my account to reflect the delta between the classes, is it automatic or do I have to chase?
i had an hour plus conversation with India when our f flights were downgraded to J but again told I couldnt move them to Singapore as no avios availability fair enough but I then asked about the difference in miles being refunded and she replied that they were already done, nothing in my account but could not convince her of this. I am not going to bother chasing right now as between redundancies and more immediate rebookings BA have more pressing cases to deal with ( our flight is not until January). I also wonder if KUL will be dropped altogether given that currently Malaysia is imposing strict quarantine rules. Who know what the future holds, but one upside my outgoing BKK flight has changed from 777 to 789

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.