FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   DXB - Departure Requirements For BA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2022715-dxb-departure-requirements-ba.html)

CX828 Aug 3, 2020 12:04 am

DXB - Departure Requirements For BA

Hi Everyone,

Planning a trip to Dubai soon - well aware of the need to have a negative test 96hrs before departure for inbound into DXB + the need to have a test on arrival too.

Something I am not clear on is if I need to do the same to leave DXB - if it is my responsibility to have a negative fit to fly certificate for BA to present at check-in? I would be a tourist not a resident - but I am seeing unclear information whether or not this is required by everyone and every airline. For example Emirates mandates all passengers headed to Europe/UK have a negative test certificate just to check-in.

13901 Aug 3, 2020 12:17 am

Don’t know about BA-specific requirements, but I think the UAE aren’t in the FCO exempt list so you’ll need to quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning to the UK.

An acquaintance of mine flew back to Dubai after having spent some time abroad (he’s a resident). From what he said it all sounded incredibly messy and complicated.

stargold Aug 3, 2020 1:18 am

From https://www.dubaiairports.ae/
"All passengers including citizens, residents and tourists departing from DXB or DWC to the European Union or United Kingdom are required to carry a negative COVID19 certificate."

You'll need to get a swab test done whilst in Dubai. There are various different centres (including drive-through) that you can use - I'd ask the hotel for recommendations. Results typically take 12-24h to come through via SMS, but I guess you'll need to allow time to collect a paper certificate.

A small tip for your outbound to Dubai. My partner travelled recently from Singapore and had a PCR test done upon arrival. You're supposed to wait in your hotel until the results come through, which is typically through e-mail or SMS. In his case, neither arrived at any point (it's now been 4 days!) - instead, if you go to http://www.purehealth.ae/results/, choose "Smart Weblink" and plug in your details, you may discover that it tells you the result much sooner than the other channels, allowing you to get out of your hotel room sooner. In his case, it took just over 24h for the results to be visible.

CX828 Aug 3, 2020 2:07 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 32577442)
From https://www.dubaiairports.ae/
"All passengers including citizens, residents and tourists departing from DXB or DWC to the European Union or United Kingdom are required to carry a negative COVID19 certificate."

You'll need to get a swab test done whilst in Dubai. There are various different centres (including drive-through) that you can use - I'd ask the hotel for recommendations. Results typically take 12-24h to come through via SMS, but I guess you'll need to allow time to collect a paper certificate.

A small tip for your outbound to Dubai. My partner travelled recently from Singapore and had a PCR test done upon arrival. You're supposed to wait in your hotel until the results come through, which is typically through e-mail or SMS. In his case, neither arrived at any point (it's now been 4 days!) - instead, if you go to Pure Health Screening Results App, choose "Smart Weblink" and plug in your details, you may discover that it tells you the result much sooner than the other channels, allowing you to get out of your hotel room sooner. In his case, it took just over 24h for the results to be visible.

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful. Do you know if you have received negative test prior to flying to DXB - if it is required to have one again at the airport, and if so - if waiting in hotel until test result - is that barred in room or hotel in general. I.e. Would one have to go straight to room and wait 24-48hrs in room?

DYKWIA Aug 3, 2020 2:10 am

Originally Posted by CX828 (Post 32577487)
Thanks for the info, that's very helpful. Do you know if you have received negative test prior to flying to DXB - if it is required to have one again at the airport, and if so - if waiting in hotel until test result - is that barred in room or hotel in general. I.e. Would one have to go straight to room and wait 24-48hrs in room?

The rules seem to change daily at the moment. It now says you *may* need to have a test on arrival. Until last week, it had a specific list of countries (and cities in the US) where a second test was mandatory. These are the rules as of today :-

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a53b012cd6.png

southlondonphil Aug 3, 2020 3:35 am

In summary, if I've got this right :confused: -
  1. You will need a negative PCR test before you get on the aircraft in LHR
  2. You will need to complete a Health Declaration Form either prior to boarding or onboard
  3. You may be selected for additional PCR testing upon arrival and will have to self-isolate pending results
  4. You are required to download the UAE government Covid-19 tracing app
  5. You will need another negative PCR test before the return flight to the UK
  6. You're not supposed to turn up at DXB more than 4 hours before your return flight
  7. Mask and gloves are meant to be worn whilst in DXB airport
  8. Other random limitations could be introduced at any time! :(

Fun Times :eek:

stargold Aug 3, 2020 3:50 am

Originally Posted by CX828 (Post 32577487)

He did not have a PCR test result (more or less impossible to get in Singapore for non-critical travel) so he had to receive one at DXB.

I understand that following introduction of the new requirements on 1 August 2020, not all passengers will be swabbed upon arrival anymore.

If you are not swabbed at DXB upon arrival, then you will not have to self-isolate at the hotel. It's only if you're waiting for the result from a DXB swab that you have to wait in the hotel until you receive a negative result. If you do have to do this, then it means waiting in the room - you cannot use the hotel facilities until you get the green light. Expect to make extensive use of room service for that time!

CX828 Aug 3, 2020 5:03 am

Thanks for the update everyone, appreciate your thoughts and information.

Tricky times ;)

firstlight Aug 3, 2020 6:01 am

Originally Posted by southlondonphil (Post 32577578)
In summary, if I've got this right :confused: -
  1. You will need a negative PCR test before you get on the aircraft in LHR
  2. You will need to complete a Health Declaration Form either prior to boarding or onboard
  3. You may be selected for additional PCR testing upon arrival and will have to self-isolate pending results
  4. You are required to download the UAE government Covid-19 tracing app
  5. You will need another negative PCR test before the return flight to the UK
  6. You're not supposed to turn up at DXB more than 4 hours before your return flight
  7. Mask and gloves are meant to be worn whilst in DXB airport
  8. Other random limitations could be introduced at any time! :(

Fun Times :eek:

Thanks this is useful although it's 8 weeks before we go to Dubai and things might change.

So is it BA, the Dubai authorities or the UK govt. that's insisting on the PCR test before getting back on a plane to the UK?

oneworldrtw Aug 3, 2020 7:10 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 32577788)
Thanks this is useful although it's 8 weeks before we go to Dubai and things might change.

So is it BA, the Dubai authorities or the UK govt. that's insisting on the PCR test before getting back on a plane to the UK?

It wont change.

These are UAE requirements so they aren’t blamed for transporting covid positive patients. The cost of the test is $100 for flying back to UK.

And just to clarify. An NHS test is no longer accepted to board before departing to UAE. You must present a PureHealth negative result at a cost of £130 per person. More details https://screening.purehealth.ae/application

firstlight Aug 3, 2020 7:54 am

Originally Posted by oneworldrtw (Post 32577926)
It wont change.

These are UAE requirements so they aren’t blamed for transporting covid positive patients. The cost of the test is $100 for flying back to UK.

And just to clarify. An NHS test is no longer accepted to board before departing to UAE. You must present a PureHealth negative result at a cost of £130 per person. More details https://screening.purehealth.ae/application

yes we had seen the need for a paid test on the way out, it will be bizarre (and I guess extra expense) to have to do one on the way back as well given we are only going to dxb for 4 nights / 3 days...

firstlight Aug 3, 2020 8:07 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 32577994)
yes we had seen the need for a paid test on the way out, it will be bizarre (and I guess extra expense) to have to do one on the way back as well given we are only going to dxb for 4 nights / 3 days...

Looking at al arabiya in English, it's appears it's only UAE residents that need to take a test before leaving Dubai...

southlondonphil Aug 3, 2020 8:49 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 32577994)

4 nights / 3 days is plenty of time to catch something if you're unlucky

brunos Aug 3, 2020 9:05 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 32578029)
Looking at al arabiya in English, it's appears it's only UAE residents that need to take a test before leaving Dubai...

SOme time ago, EK transported 30 pax who tested positive upon arriving in Hong Kong (16 on a previous flight). They got heavily fined and tUAE image got damaged. Then UAE adopted more stringent measures for pax departing DXB (the causal link is mine and a pure guess)
I don't know, but it would be surprising if tests are only required for UAE residents.