Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot flying

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chipmaster

As to flip flops and exposed feet being repulsive how about obese people in yoga ants or letting it all hang out, or people just plain ugly... Got what has the world gotten in terms of tolerance?
Indeed. Those who wear skin tight jeans always make me chuckle.

WickedStepMother and TTmex like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
I've seen people sleep in economy with their toes dangling in the aisle barefoot, they're so hard to dodge!

It's always funny when the cart bumps into them
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
A few things I always think you need for take off an landing, good shoes, passport, phone and wallet in your pocket. Then if you’ve got to exit the aircraft quickly in an emergency you’ve got some things tat will help you
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Rob0895
A few things I always think you need for take off an landing, good shoes, passport, phone and wallet in your pocket. Then if you’ve got to exit the aircraft quickly in an emergency you’ve got some things tat will help you
Add car/house keys and you're good to go!
Rob0895 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'd say a little of both, frankly. I don't think of flip flops any differently than the myriad of women's open toe flat shoes or men's sandals, so I do think it's snobbish to judge someone just for their shoe selection and make a snide comment about 'Leisure flying" as if business travelers are a better class of person just because their employers pay to send them on the road. Plenty of the travelers you identify as leisure could be business travelers on their way home (especially those Friday flights) when they no longer have appearances to upkeep or a meeting to dash off to upon landing.

Now that said, I do find it objectionable in the sense that I'd never want to personally be barefoot in the terminal at security, or onboard. And I find it objectionable when those passengers put their barefeet on lounge furniture, bulkheads, or the seatback in front of them.
“Leisure flying” is more about BA’s current network, with high load factors and frequencies to places like the Greek Islands, coastal regions and so on. Which could explain why more people are wearing these types of footwear (more suitable in hot places and more people who only travel infrequently so don’t have the FF etiquette).

On my flight to Santorini last week the rather large gentleman next to me took his shoes off, and proceeded to pick the flakey skin off them.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Vgravity
“Leisure flying” is more about BA’s current network, with high load factors and frequencies to places like the Greek Islands, coastal regions and so on. Which could explain why more people are wearing these types of footwear (more suitable in hot places and more people who only travel infrequently so don’t have the FF etiquette).

On my flight to Santorini last week the rather large gentleman next to me took his shoes off, and proceeded to pick the flakey skin off them.
Shocking what you see on LCCs nowadays. Time BA got back to only accepting gentlemen if dressed in a suit/collar/tie and ladies wore hats and gloves on the plane.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:50 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I can attest to the danger of flip flops 18 months ago I turned my foot and wound up in hospital in Mauritius with a severely broken wrist, to this day after revised uk surgery I still have not got full use of the joint, no more yoga or scuba diving for time being ( the latter due to getting back on dive boats) I now stick to a footwear consisting of trainers or Skechers when out and about. The surgeon told Me that he sees broken limbs on a daily basis due to to flip flops or similar Non supported footwear
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:06 am

Growing up in Zimbabwe, visiting the airfield where my dad was chairman of the local flying club, I was firmly told that I would never be considered as a passenger on a light aircraft unless I wore decent shoes. The thinking behind this was in case of a forced landing in the bush and having to walk a long distance to rescue. Ever since then, I have never worn sandals when flying. So, I concur with Rob0895 and I always have my passport wallet and phone on my person in case of a sharp exit.

FWIW, I too find bare feet up on the cabin walls/arm rests objectionable.
Silver Fox and Fatdickie like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
I have no issue with people making the most of the space they have paid for, and am of the opinion that as long as they aren't causing any actual discomfort to another pax { toe in ear / seriously cheesy smell etc } people can do what they like with their feet. On many a not so full long haul you will see people lying across 3 or 4 seats with their feet on the last seat.

With all the coughs, sneezes, nose picking, hair runbbing, ear picking, finger licking, after toilet non-washing and everything else the human race does on a flight, someone's feet up or barefoot is a real non issue on the hygiene front.

I don't personally do either, but I do find it highly amusing that there are some that see it as a crime against civilised society, for which the perpetrators are some kind of alien race that should be ejected forthwith via the nearest emergency exit.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This thread is a good resource for making a stab at the age of the posters
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by MrsW
I don’t mind what folk wear on their feet as long as they keep their footwear on. It’s those who rest their naked feet on the bulkhead that I find gross,
If I were seated in 1D I would have no choice but to ask thrm to put them down. There's no way I'm eating looking at that🤢
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by MrsW
I don’t mind what folk wear on their feet as long as they keep their footwear on. It’s those who rest their naked feet on the bulkhead that I find gross,
would you rather they had their shoes on the bulkhead?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Reading the Daily Fail/Wail on a plane ought to be outlawed, and the person's Gold card confiscated.

Bare feet are fine.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
would you rather they had their shoes on the bulkhead?
Lazy straw man argument. It's safe to assume that "MrsW" wants their shoes on the floor.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by crlwl
Lazy straw man argument. It's safe to assume that "MrsW" wants their shoes on the floor.
They were on the floor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.