Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot flying

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Don't you just love FT when someone can so knowledgeably recall data from "Relative accident statistics relating to wearing flip-flops, Dr Scholl, Birkenstocks and other open-toed footwear on BA aircraft 2019/20"..
Perhaps some have seen accidents with their own eyes.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
the older i get the more germ-phobic i become so everything about this annoys me, irrationally so becasue it has no personal impact

THAT SAID, the most repulsive thing i've seen -- the last instance in T5 was a guy walking barefoot in T5A! middle of winter. it was appalling. but worse yet, he was in front of me on the jetbridge STILL without shoes and was told to put his shoes on when he stepped on the plane....so he threw his flip flops on the ground to beard his seat where he no doubt instantly pushed them under the seat in front of him.

BLEAH, repulsive even thinking of today!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: Miles & More
There should be an immediate joint FAA/EASA advisory circular prohibiting bare feet and open shoes on airplanes.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Don't you just love FT when someone can so knowledgeably recall data from "Relative accident statistics relating to wearing flip-flops, Dr Scholl, Birkenstocks and other open-toed footwear on BA aircraft 2019/20"

Compared to high heels, they don't look remotely hazardous. But flip-flop wearers would do well to think twice before slipping on a pair. The NHS spends £40million a year treating injuries caused by wearing the casual footwear.

More than 200,000 people visit their GP or even end up in hospital every year after suffering falls or developing long-term problems.”
Daily Mail 2010
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by richardwft
Not quite, but when I was younger a friend of ours survived the East African Airways VC10 crash as Addis Ababa where the plane went off the end of the runway and broke up. I distinctly recall him saying that there was all sorts of barbed wire, fuel and debris that they has to wade through to get away from the wreck. In a similar vein, the Singapore Airlines incident at Taipei required a lot of walking through glass and metal debris etc in order to get away. Since then I have always kept my footwear (usually deck shoes) firmly on until established in the climb. Personally I think that bare feet is a step too far, but as ever, it's a free world.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:13 pm

The problem is that people sometimes just don’t think. There have been several occasions where an entire planeload of people has managed to escape a burning aircraft safely, only for some to scorch their feet on the apron while running away from it having either lost or had to remove unsafe footwear. Frankly, anyone who wears stupid footwear during the beginning and end phases of flight deserves anything they get.

I do get uncomfortable on aircraft and do like to remove my shoes during a flight - but only once securely in the cruise phase. And they come back on at TOD. And it’s too cold not to wear socks!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:22 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I could not care less what footwear people have as long as their feet are clean. I am disgusted by people putting their feet on the bulkhead - when wearing shoes, sock, tights, or worst barefoot. If anyone dared to put their feet on the seat top or by the window they would be asked to remove them and if that failed I'd waste a G&T complete with ice on their feet. How people can go into the toilet barefoot is beyond me, given how few men actually aim to please. My problem is that in an emergency, they might bang their feet on the way to the emergency exit and impede others.

The photo seems to have been taken on the 12th May 2017 - I could hazard a guess where it was bound (ALC/FAO/AGP/PFO?)
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I've seen Castaway. That's enough.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Vgravity
With BA’s new focus on leisure flying, it’s come to my attention that a high number of passengers seem to be flying in flip flops, or other sockless footwear - and like to remove them in-flight.

Am I being a snob, or does anyone else find this a bit objectionable?
Originally Posted by Misco60
No and yes, respectively.

I really don't want to see people's feet when I'm travelling.
The easy solution to this vexing problem is simple; don't look down
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Couldn't care less especially in those days. A socked foot is not any cleaner than a bare foot, and I find it worse when people put their shoe'ed foot on a chair/wall than a bare or socked one.

Quite frankly, at the moment, what I want to see are mask-wearing faces, keeping social distancing, and putting their hand or better elbow in front of their mouth when they cough if it happens hat a time when their mask is unfortunately down. Ideally, I also want them as far away from me as humanly possible.
This - I wish we had descended to an appropriate altitude and thrown the guy behind me who had a coughing fit without his mask on out of the emergency exit earlier this week.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
i am pretty sure the advice is to remove my high heels
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
I don't like to wander around in my socks and especially when using the toilet...as I hate to marinate my feet in other people's urine...

I wear trainers during the climb and descent and shift to Northface slippers for the cruise. Light, compact, padded for warmth and have a sole that is piss resistant...Since I jumped out of a BA 747 in Jo'burg back in 1983 I can assure everyone that the chutes are very abrasive indeed. Friction burns were par for the course...

Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:15 pm

Flip flops are unsafe footwear
I had a mountain hiking guide in Indonesia scale large rocks and other obstacles with the grace of a mountain goat while wearing flip flops - and was one of the few times I was the slow one. Put the guy in thick soled shoes or hiking boots and he might hurt himself

Injinji compression toe-socks with flip-flops are my goto long haul footwear. Free the toes!

Last edited by random.parts; Aug 2, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:00 pm

VGravity. Avoid travel to a Maldives resort! All pilots on the inter island flights are barefooted. You’ve been warned. Wouldn’t want you to faint 😂
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
VGravity. Avoid travel to a Maldives resort! All pilots on the inter island flights are barefooted. You’ve been warned. Wouldn’t want you to faint 😂
My experience is that flip flop flying is common in Australia - but haven’t seen it with such frequency in Europe as these last few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.