Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will BA cancel my Japan flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Question When will BA cancel my Japan flight?

Greetings All,
Back in Dec/Jan i managed to grab myself a CW return to Japan for October, since then we have had the Nasty little covid-19 turn up and Japan has closed its borders to All apart from returning natives.
So my question is this, i'm sitting at T-9 weeks till my flight, at what point will BA cancel it allowing me to get a refund as i'm NOT interested in a voucher at all.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What’s your plan if they don’t cancel it?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What’s your plan if they don’t cancel it?
well i'll still not be Flying as Japan wont allow me to enter the country Due to being a UK Citizen, and BA would get fined if i did fly as i'd be refused entry into Japan.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
But seeing as BA are operating flights in their schedule from end of August - it’s not a dead cert they’ll cancel. So maybe a voucher comes into play. Plenty of other threads showing cancellation rough timelines and cancel options:

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Impacts of Coronavirus to BA's August schedule
September 2020 flight cancellations and operational changes
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if the present restrictions continue, BA may well operate the flight. It may fly fewer frequencies, but there are very broad exemptions to the general rules and therefore some demand. In any event, with a fluid situation, BA might not cancel until quite near the flight.

In any event, you have no incentive to cancel now unless you wish a credit for future travel. By waiting until close to flight time (remember that even scheduled flights are cancelled for maintenance and weather), you assure that if there is a cancellation or a substantial schedule change, that you are entitled to a refund. At worst, you cancel very close in and get what you may have today.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club
I had my September 24th and October 10th flights to haneda cancelled a week ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if yours went the same way. Frankly I was shocked it was so far out but knew it would be cancelled no way would Japan be letting us in by then with their current restrictions.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Malli1
I had my September 24th and October 10th flights to haneda cancelled a week ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if yours went the same way. Frankly I was shocked it was so far out but knew it would be cancelled no way would Japan be letting us in by then with their current restrictions.
But the key question is, "who is 'us'?" There is a laundry list of exceptions which suggests that there is at least some traffic. Perhaps OP's is the flight that sticks. I would just wait it out. Can't do worse than a credit/voucher, so why opt for it now?
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Don't forget the cargo demand. Some routes have really good cargo demand so they can justify operating the flight with not many passengers.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Don't forget the cargo demand. Some routes have really good cargo demand so they can justify operating the flight with not many passengers.
As a zone one fish eater, I can only assume a lot of London restaurants rely on BA cargo from Tokyo at the very least.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Often1
But the key question is, "who is 'us'?" There is a laundry list of exceptions which suggests that there is at least some traffic. Perhaps OP's is the flight that sticks. I would just wait it out. Can't do worse than a credit/voucher, so why opt for it now?
Exactly. I'm a UK/Canadian dual citizen but have no idea who is flying LHR-YYZ with no non Canadian citizens/PRs and a couple of dozen exemptions involved and still 14 day quarantines on both ends but apparently there are enough eligible people with exemptions somehow to allow BA and AC to keep the daily service going on the route. I'm sure this works on UK-Japan as well. I would not be 100% that BA cancels the flight

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Aug 1, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dragonflyer10
well i'll still not be Flying as Japan wont allow me to enter the country Due to being a UK Citizen, and BA would get fined if i did fly as i'd be refused entry into Japan.
You would be denied boarding. The ability to enter a given country (visas, passport validity, etc.) is 100% your problem.

That said, most airlines, including BA, would make a gesture - a voucher in this case - but not a full refund.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Our flights to Seattle were cancelled with just under 24hrs before departure a couple of months ago.

Hold off until you're right down to the wire to accept a voucher (from memory you can get close to ~1hr before the flight leaves?), but if the flight operates and you're unable to be on it, you'll have to accept the voucher, unless you've got travel insurance which will cover you cancelling your ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I wouldn't wait till the last hour.

What happens if you lose your phone. Computer dies on you. Can't get through to BA. Your service provider goes down. Etc etc.

I would leave it till 24 hours , no later, before a flight to get a voucher
KARFA, IMH and cloverticketing like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Do you have travel insurance taken prior to March, since you booked it before COVID-19 was known about, if you have travel insurance, you might want to speak to them as you might be able to get actually money rather than a future travel voucher.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Unless the voucher scheme is extended, there is no voucher option though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.