When will BA cancel my Japan flight?

Old Aug 1, 20, 9:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Question When will BA cancel my Japan flight?

Greetings All,
Back in Dec/Jan i managed to grab myself a CW return to Japan for October, since then we have had the Nasty little covid-19 turn up and Japan has closed its borders to All apart from returning natives.
So my question is this, i'm sitting at T-9 weeks till my flight, at what point will BA cancel it allowing me to get a refund as i'm NOT interested in a voucher at all.
dragonflyer10 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 6,443
What’s your plan if they don’t cancel it?
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:37 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
What’s your plan if they don’t cancel it?
well i'll still not be Flying as Japan wont allow me to enter the country Due to being a UK Citizen, and BA would get fined if i did fly as i'd be refused entry into Japan.
dragonflyer10 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 6,443
But seeing as BA are operating flights in their schedule from end of August - it’s not a dead cert they’ll cancel. So maybe a voucher comes into play. Plenty of other threads showing cancellation rough timelines and cancel options:

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Impacts of Coronavirus to BA's August schedule
September 2020 flight cancellations and operational changes
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 10:43 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 47,222
Even if the present restrictions continue, BA may well operate the flight. It may fly fewer frequencies, but there are very broad exemptions to the general rules and therefore some demand. In any event, with a fluid situation, BA might not cancel until quite near the flight.

In any event, you have no incentive to cancel now unless you wish a credit for future travel. By waiting until close to flight time (remember that even scheduled flights are cancelled for maintenance and weather), you assure that if there is a cancellation or a substantial schedule change, that you are entitled to a refund. At worst, you cancel very close in and get what you may have today.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 5:59 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sheffield, UK
Programs: Virgin Flying Club
Posts: 52
I had my September 24th and October 10th flights to haneda cancelled a week ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if yours went the same way. Frankly I was shocked it was so far out but knew it would be cancelled no way would Japan be letting us in by then with their current restrictions.
Malli1 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:47 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 47,222
Originally Posted by Malli1 View Post
I had my September 24th and October 10th flights to haneda cancelled a week ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if yours went the same way. Frankly I was shocked it was so far out but knew it would be cancelled no way would Japan be letting us in by then with their current restrictions.
But the key question is, "who is 'us'?" There is a laundry list of exceptions which suggests that there is at least some traffic. Perhaps OP's is the flight that sticks. I would just wait it out. Can't do worse than a credit/voucher, so why opt for it now?
Crampedin13A likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 10:07 pm
  #8  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,866
Don't forget the cargo demand. Some routes have really good cargo demand so they can justify operating the flight with not many passengers.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 10:36 pm
  #9  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Don't forget the cargo demand. Some routes have really good cargo demand so they can justify operating the flight with not many passengers.
As a zone one fish eater, I can only assume a lot of London restaurants rely on BA cargo from Tokyo at the very least.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 10:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Posts: 5,730
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
But the key question is, "who is 'us'?" There is a laundry list of exceptions which suggests that there is at least some traffic. Perhaps OP's is the flight that sticks. I would just wait it out. Can't do worse than a credit/voucher, so why opt for it now?
Exactly. I'm a UK/Canadian dual citizen but have no idea who is flying LHR-YYZ with no non Canadian citizens/PRs and a couple of dozen exemptions involved and still 14 day quarantines on both ends but apparently there are enough eligible people with exemptions somehow to allow BA and AC to keep the daily service going on the route. I'm sure this works on UK-Japan as well. I would not be 100% that BA cancels the flight

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Aug 1, 20 at 11:21 pm
Crampedin13A is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:37 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,207
Originally Posted by dragonflyer10 View Post
well i'll still not be Flying as Japan wont allow me to enter the country Due to being a UK Citizen, and BA would get fined if i did fly as i'd be refused entry into Japan.
You would be denied boarding. The ability to enter a given country (visas, passport validity, etc.) is 100% your problem.

That said, most airlines, including BA, would make a gesture - a voucher in this case - but not a full refund.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 5:27 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Posts: 229
Our flights to Seattle were cancelled with just under 24hrs before departure a couple of months ago.

Hold off until you're right down to the wire to accept a voucher (from memory you can get close to ~1hr before the flight leaves?), but if the flight operates and you're unable to be on it, you'll have to accept the voucher, unless you've got travel insurance which will cover you cancelling your ticket.
pythonisman is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 5:47 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LHR / LAS
Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,746
I wouldn't wait till the last hour.

What happens if you lose your phone. Computer dies on you. Can't get through to BA. Your service provider goes down. Etc etc.

I would leave it till 24 hours , no later, before a flight to get a voucher
KARFA, IMH and cloverticketing like this.
crazyarmadillo is online now  
Old Aug 2, 20, 6:00 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Posts: 3,458
Do you have travel insurance taken prior to March, since you booked it before COVID-19 was known about, if you have travel insurance, you might want to speak to them as you might be able to get actually money rather than a future travel voucher.
navylad is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:46 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canary Wharf, London
Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,456
Unless the voucher scheme is extended, there is no voucher option though?
chistery is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: