Delay in 355 day rule

Old Aug 1, 20, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Delay in 355 day rule

Any advice? Trying to book LHR-JNB in July next year. 355 days ahead BA reward and revenue seats should be released Seats JNB-LHR released on schedule. (Currently through to 21 July). However no seats released in any class / type for the LHR-JNB segment since 13 July - i.e. more than a week late.
GGL said possibly due to Lions rugby tour. They have no idea the suspension of seat release will last. Ideas?
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by KenBoffard View Post
Any advice? Trying to book LHR-JNB in July next year. 355 days ahead BA reward and revenue seats should be released Seats JNB-LHR released on schedule. (Currently through to 21 July). However no seats released in any class / type for the LHR-JNB segment since 13 July - i.e. more than a week late.
GGL said possibly due to Lions rugby tour. They have no idea the suspension of seat release will last. Ideas?
I suggest reward flight finder - if the seats are in demand you might want to pay the subscription version which updates hourly.

We recently got 2 business class seats to the Maldives through it, and they are as common as unicorn droppings...
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Oh, and welcome to flyertalk by the way. One of the mods will be along to welcome you properly soon...
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 3:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I just spoke to the GGL team about this. The very helpful young gentleman almost finished my question for me. It is clear that they are getting a fair few of these calls already. The answer I was given is that the revenue team have held back releasing the flights until they can determine which aircraft to use on the routes (JNB and CPT). Currently 744s are loaded for BA57 to JNB and BA59 to CPT so obviously that needs to be changed in any event. There is likely to be huge demand around this time. Who knows: maybe BA will even add a couple of extra flights on the route for a short period. I seem to recall them doing something similar to CPT a few winters ago and I am sure they will have the airframes and LHR slots to do it next year.
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Not quite. The thread is more about the fact that NO seats have been released in any class, neither Rewards, nor fully paid for. I use Reward Flight finder or Expert Flyer, but here there is confirmation from GGL that despite the fact that release should have been 10 days ago, and JNB-LHR seats are fully current, The LHR-JNB are delayed. No-one knows why or when...
PS. Flyertalk has been my “Go to” place for a long time. Thanks for letting me participate.
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Also, if they have released tickets to fly one way out - the bulk of JNB flights are already A380, they will probably use the same aircraft to return. 😄. Maybe they are still working out what the market will bear to get passengers to the Tests between the Lions snd the Springboks.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I did notice something strange. Up until a week or so ago, I was seeing wide open avail on Mex to Lhr for first weeks of July next year. However, now all has disappeared bar a few first seats. Nothing in any of the other 3 cabins. It's either a sign of something changing on back end or an error in the API. I'm wondering if this may explain lack of anything opening up

Old Aug 1, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I noticed the same issue trying to get 2 reward F seats to JNB.
I was checking it wasn't just JNB and looking at more common routes such as CDG and GLA - nothing was on sale until T-349.
Gold line could not explain it.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Also, if they have released tickets to fly one way out - the bulk of JNB flights are already A380, they will probably use the same aircraft to return. 😄. Maybe they are still working out what the market will bear to get passengers to the Tests between the Lions snd the Springboks.
Not sure if your comments are in reply to my post or another but let me clarify what I was saying:

- all fares, revenue and redemption, have been held back by the revenue team for JNB post 15/7/21

- that hold back also applies to CPT

- both hold backs were explicitly explained as being due to the Lions tour and the need to calibrate demand with appropriate airframes

- the airframe issue is being compounded by the fact that 50% of JNB flight are currently loaded as 744s with the other 50% being 388s, and 100% of CPT flights are loaded as 744s

- additional flights may be added because of potential demand

- keep checking back daily or use an ExpertFlyer subscription if you want to be ahead of the crowd

- whilst there are some cases of other routes having availability lowered to T+349, most major LH routes (eg HKG, SIN and JFK) are still available until T+355
george77300 likes this.

Last edited by HFHFFlyer; Aug 1, 20 at 12:24 pm
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
I’m quite interested in the 744 replacements on these routes as I have December CPT (optimistically) booked.
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Also, if they have released tickets to fly one way out - the bulk of JNB flights are already A380, they will probably use the same
to return. 😄. Maybe they are still working out what the market will bear to get passengers to the Tests between the Lions snd the Springboks.
I am also looking at flights to Joburg for July 2021 for The Lions games and still nothing released. The official Lions tour business has sold a huge amount of packages already (apparently more sold since last Wednesday when they were released than they took to New Zealand in 2017) and their preferred airlines are BA and Virgin but they do not guarantee a direct flight so can use other options. With the mess Virgin are in BA could well sell a few A380s on certain dates and make good money.
Fingers crossed they released something soon.
Old Aug 7, 20, 2:59 am
Original Poster

things not that bad. Flights are showing availability until 13 July (redemption) and 15 July (revenue), so the “freeze” is those coming in for the tests. Return flights are appearing as normal, though still showing 747. Will certainly be a second 380 service instead and almost certainly I would guess a 788/9 daylight service (previously operated as BA 050/051) - or even a 773.
Lions tour dates (apologies if felt to be an inappropriate post for this forum), thoughit shows where peak and trough demand will be😄:Saturday 3rd July 2021
DHL Stormers
Cape Town

Wednesday 7th July 2021
South Africa 'Invitational'
Port Elizabeth

Saturday 10th July 2021
Cell C Sharks
Durban

Wednesday 14th July 2021
South Africa 'A’
Nelspruit

Saturday 17th July 2021
Vodacom Bulls
Pretoria

Saturday 24th July 2021
South Africa
Johannesburg

Saturday 31st July 2021
South Africa
Cape Town

Saturday 7th August 2021
South Africa
Johannesburg
Old Aug 7, 20, 4:38 am

Any QR flight possibilities?
Old Aug 7, 20, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
Any QR flight possibilities?
Yep, lots of QR options available, mainly on modern B787 and A350 metal. Adds between 5 and 7 hours onto each journey and probably more expensive than the BA and Virgin options (but will not know until they are released). Definitely worth a look once all options released.
Old Aug 7, 20, 8:20 am
Original Poster

QR booking quite happily.
example GBP £1794 out on 17 July and £1069 back on 24 July in business. Actually same or cheaper than BA All seat classes available

Search this Thread
Search Engine: