FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Refund Policy for BA Cancelled Flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2022586-ba-refund-policy-ba-cancelled-flights.html)

ddschur Jul 31, 2020 7:28 am

BA Refund Policy for BA Cancelled Flights

First, I DID try to find the answer to the question but was not able to find the answer...so, apologies in advance!

BA cancelled an upcoming flight and when I spoke with agent he said I WOULD BE REIMBURSED for all costs related to flight, all AVIOS pts. returned and voucher used would be redeposited,

I did receive a partial refund but not for a "seat selection" charge for the flight and not for a "gold upgrade to first class"....when BA cancels are these charges reimbursable???

Also, still awaiting 241 voucher and AVIOS Pts. to be returned!

Anyway, if anyone can clarify the above question I would be extremely appreciative.

Be safe and be well!!!

TWCLAM Jul 31, 2020 8:05 am

Unfortunately seat selection costs aren't reimbursed by BA. We all agree they should be but it's literally been tested in arbitration and it was upheld that BA do advise you that those costs are non-refundable.

See here for an article on the matter: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...ection-refund/

2-4-1 Vouchers should reappear in minutes ( I've had them show up in my account whilst still on the phone to BA) and the avios at most overnight IF you spoke to somebody. I'd imagine same timeline when somebody actually processes your claim if done online so you might want to chase that part up.

brithk Jul 31, 2020 8:06 am

Originally Posted by ddschur (Post 32571473)
First, I DID try to find the answer to the question but was not able to find the answer...so, apologies in advance!

BA cancelled an upcoming flight and when I spoke with agent he said I WOULD BE REIMBURSED for all costs related to flight, all AVIOS pts. returned and voucher used would be redeposited,

I did receive a partial refund but not for a "seat selection" charge for the flight and not for a "gold upgrade to first class"....when BA cancels are these charges reimbursable???

Also, still awaiting 241 voucher and AVIOS Pts. to be returned!

Anyway, if anyone can clarify the above question I would be extremely appreciative.

Be safe and be well!!!

generally my avios and vouchers have come back straight away - and certainly within a few hours

BertieBadger Jul 31, 2020 8:15 am

Originally Posted by TWCLAM (Post 32571560)
Unfortunately seat selection costs aren't reimbursed by BA. We all agree they should be but it's literally been tested in arbitration and it was upheld that BA do advise you that those costs are non-refundable.

See here for an article on the matter: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...ection-refund/

Sorry, but that's simply not correct. You are making reference to a case where the passenger voluntarily cancelled the flight. The OP is referring to a situation where BA have cancelled the flight. BA explicitly list this as a reason for a refund:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...es-and-refunds

ddschur have a look at the above link, there's a button at the end of the page that will take you to a form where you can request a refund. Seating fees are generally treated separately, so I expect you'll need to apply for that refund separately, it won't come back to you automatically as part of any fare/avios/taxes refund.

KARFA Jul 31, 2020 8:20 am

On the GUF do you know what the expiry date was? If it has already expired has an extension been requested - this can take a few days to do.

BertieBadger Jul 31, 2020 8:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 32571596)
On the GUF do you know what the expiry date was?

I may be imagining this, but don't 2-4-1s sometimes end up being described on receipts as "Gold Upgrade...", depending on how they get processed by the agent. So the OP might have used a GUF as well or maybe just the Amex 2-4-1?

ddschur - did you specifically use a "Gold Upgrade Voucher", commonly known as a GUF2 / GUF1 round these parts. These are the vouchers you earn when reaching 2500 and 3500 Tier Points. Or did you only use your 2-4-1 voucher and no other vouchers?

KARFA Jul 31, 2020 8:30 am

Yes sorry, I was assuming that was the case and a combination of a 241 + GUF was used.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 31, 2020 8:36 am

What should happen here - assuming BA cancelled one of their operated services or it's BA marketed - is the following:
- refund of fare
- refund of seat fees
- return of GUF to account, potentially with 6 months added
- return of 2-4-1 to account, again potentially with 6 months added
The one thing that is not refundable is if you paid a change fee to go to First, the wording here is a little unclear.

Sometimes this come in separate chunks, and I can't work out from the first post when this cancellation was done. It can take 6 weeks or longer. But there are more examples of this in the main rebooking thread, examples of timeline, and how to reach the BA Refund Helper if you have waited more than 2 weeks.

TWCLAM Jul 31, 2020 8:42 am

BertieBadger My bad there. I didn't re-read the article and was going from memory where I thought the cases matched. Thank you for the correction

BertieBadger Jul 31, 2020 9:19 am

Regarding the possible GUF, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the "Gold Upgrade...." on the receipt is just the Amex 241 on its own.

My thinking is the OP must be on the booking, but if they are paying for seats, must also be Bronze or Blue. Now there may be a timeline where they could have obtained a GUF and dropped from Gold through Silver to now be Bronze and where the GUF was still valid, but the OP had lost their free-seat selection via status when the GUF was used, but it's warm outside and it's Friday afternoon, so I will leave working out if that is possible or not to smarter minds than me :D

ddschur Aug 1, 2020 11:24 am

I was using a 2-4-1 voucher but whoever processed it shows it as a "gold upgrade" which, frankly, means nothing to me. Again BA agent did it unbeknownst to me.

BertieBadger Aug 1, 2020 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ddschur (Post 32574138)
I was using a 2-4-1 voucher but whoever processed it shows it as a "gold upgrade" which, frankly, means nothing to me. Again BA agent did it unbeknownst to me.

I believe that's not uncommon. The reference to the Gold Upgrade is just your 214, which should come back to you

Anonba Aug 1, 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by TWCLAM (Post 32571560)

2-4-1 Vouchers should reappear in minutes ( I've had them show up in my account whilst still on the phone to BA) and the avios at most overnight IF you spoke to somebody. I'd imagine same timeline when somebody actually processes your claim if done online so you might want to chase that part up.

If ba cancel the flight you would be entitled to a full refund on seat selection fees.

ddschur Aug 2, 2020 6:26 am

I am really confused about BA refunds/process...can anyone enlighten

I know there are a number of posts about the current issues re: BA refunds but I am very confused about the process and what to do next.

I had itinerary of 2-4-1 reward travel cancelled by BA for September.

I called BA and agent said the entire amount would be refunded...including paid u/g and seat selection charges in 24-48 hours. Didn't happen in that time frame.

Agent said I would also receive ALL AVIOS pts. returned when I received refund in 24-48 hours.

Agent said the voucher would be returned as well.

It is now 1 1/2 weeks and:

I have received a modest refund of points...not anywhere near the points I used (frankly, based on number of points I am at a loss to see specifically for what part of the trip?)

I have received the refund...less the amount spent on seat selection and u/g and NO refund of AVIOS points for this transaction

I have NOT had the 2-4-1 voucher returned to my account!

I guess my question is will those other items still be forthcoming or should I start another process to get what I am supposed to receive or is what I am experiencing the normal BA process and for me to wait?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and be safe and be well.

ddschur

KARFA Aug 2, 2020 6:38 am

See the recent thread from the OP for some of the previous comments https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...d-flights.html

- on the points are you in a household account by any chance?
- seat selection fees can be requested via the link posted in the previous thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32571584-post4.html
- what is the expiry date of your 241? Go in to your baec homepage, then Manage my account in the left hand bar, then My eVouchers. Could you find the issue date and expiry date of your 241?
- sorry, what upgrade? you used a 241? what paid upgrade did you do?