End of the Babybus and LCY-JFK

Old Aug 1, 20, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
I wonder if an all biz flight to another destination will re surface post COVID but what would be the aircraft?
If the only $1billion revenue route in the world couldn’t sustain this, I very much doubt anywhere else would.

QR tried a daily business only from DOH to LHR which lasted 2 years at most.
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:27 am

Programs: Have
Originally Posted by Waterhorse View Post
There are rumours that AA want to move into T5 on a permanent basis. The plan is that they would use T5C with US Customs and Immigration pre clearance in T5C. This would be part of the Joint Business Agreement so BA services (at least some of them) would also get the pre clearance. IF this is more than just gossip it would be a huge step forward and a big business advantage. Who would pay for the US officials etc is a mystery so this rumour comes with a huge huge huge warning. It may also have been one of those things that was talked about and Covid kicked into touch.
Do you think AA/BA could have exclusive US pre-clearance at LHR while DL/VS and UA doesn't? They will be doing everything they can to make sure this doesn't happen. Otherwise are we going to have a US pre-clearance in both Termini 2 and 5?
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
We are all different aren't we? I'm not sure what Meh is in English - but clearly you thought it as nothing much to write home about? I, on the other hand, adored it. It was a service which was both classy and special. I would rather spend an hour if needs be pre-clearing than doing so in the USA. JFK is vile - there is no other word. Sadly, it was obvious that the service was in its last days as already bit were being withdrawn at LCY. When I last flew from there, the Club Lounge was history. The service aboard was wonderful. The LGW crews that worked that flight loved it, and it showed. It was the last of The Good Old Days and Covid is the last nail in its coffin. I am not sad as one cannot live in the past. What I often think is that I am glad that I was able to experience it.
‘Meh’ is roughly the sound that a shoulder shrug and eyebrow-rumple makes. In France it is often accompanied by a sharpish exhale of air, similar to a ‘pfft.’

A318 was an interesting niche, but I don’t follow the comparisons to Concorde at all.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I too have this board to thank for my one and only BA1 last autumn. I managed 1A and seq 1 on my boarding pass too. Even then when things were going well for BA the feeling was that its days were numbered with Crossrail and GE weighing towards a Co solidation at LHR. Sad but not unexpected (I must say a lot less unexpected than the 747 retirement).

Regarding pre-clearance I had read in some comments elsewhere (on Lucky's blog I think) that AA were indeed looking at having that at T5C with another pre-clearance being made available in T3 for DL, VS and all the others. The 1 billion dollar route could justify it!
Nephoi likes this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:08 am

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
If the only $1billion revenue route in the world couldn’t sustain this, I very much doubt anywhere else would.

The EWR-SIN all business class on an A340 was nice. I’ve heard surprisingly decent things about the newer all business ORY-EWR service on La Compagnie. And in the era before lie flat beds were common I appreciated the MaxxJet all business class LAX-STN service.

While most hope feels gone currently, things will rebound eventually.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
‘Meh’ is roughly the sound that a shoulder shrug and eyebrow-rumple makes. In France it is often accompanied by a sharpish exhale of air, similar to a ‘pfft.’

A318 was an interesting niche, but I don’t follow the comparisons to Concorde at all.
Thanks for that Sweetheart! So it is practically an onomatopoeic word. I get it.

No - I agree with you that the only basis of comparison is that it was a unique service. Like Concorde it was a one class aircraft and flying aboard it was very unique. I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did.
Old Aug 1, 20, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I think we all expected it to go, but it’s still sad news (especially as we will once again lose the BA1/2 flight numbers). It’s an easy way to pull some more business seats off the route and prepare for lighter premium loads. With offices in the City remaining closed for a good while yet, there just wouldn't be the demand for this service.

Given that BA own G-EUNA and she is relatively new (2009), it’s a shame they didn’t keep her. It could have been converted to short haul with around 120 seats and become LHR based. Would have been a good aircraft to take on the NQY PSO full-time.
Old Aug 1, 20, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
On a point of information... QR never intended or wanted to have this service, it was by dint of necessity and future-proofing an investment. They bought an extra slot at Heathrow, but it came from a shorthaul carrier that used a small aircraft on a gate that couldn’t handle a widebody, and HAL couldn’t shuffle anything around to make it work. So they used a A319 to keep the slot, but as soon as HAL found a widebody gate ditched it for what they wanted all along.
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I flew the Babybus once on an economy class ticket. Yes, that's right. I once managed to engineer a Dusseldorf to Los Angeles itinerary in Y which included the Babybus from LCY to JFK. I knew there was a good chance of getting booted off and sent to LHR on arrival at LCY but after feigning ignorance and a few phone calls, apologies were made and I was allowed to check in, go through security and board. Only 11 of us on board. Absolutely cracking flight! Feel a bit sad I'll never get to do it again.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:52 pm

Programs: BA executive Club - Demoted to Bronze and promoted to AC Altitude 50K (gold)
I flew a A318 with AF from Paris to Tegel. nothing special

However, I have done BA1 twice. Once on Concord in 2002 when I took my mother for her 70th, and then with my husband on a 40th birthday trip. Great crew, nice to have the amuse bouche and sparking, an amazing pre clearance which was actually a pleasure and the real feel of a private jet. Living close to LCY, I also managed to meet the odd LGW crew member in the middle of their back to back.
All is not lost, EUNB has recently done one or two runs to St Helena with Titan. Via Africa and Asension - it carried medics and covid test kits and the landing looked a breeze. So good, they did several circuits for practise. Given Titan is moving to an all airbus fleet, i wonder if they will lease the second aircraft. It seems busy and definately does some niche work.

I love the City - Ney York service, and like Concorde, ticked both off my bucket list.

Like footballing heros - sometimes a number is retired due to a legend leaving with no-one wanted to fill their boots. perhaps now is the time to retire BA 1 and 2 - for now. Looks like my LCY to Toronto service will have be be City - Shannon - Iceland, Newfoundland, Toronto!!
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
They seem to still be selling LCY in March next year. Seems odd.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
They seem to still be selling LCY in March next year. Seems odd.
theyre still making changes to this weeks schedule, longer term flight planning has to wait.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post

Which is pronounced "Bof!"
dnajockey and alex67500 like this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Flew on the Baby Bus just the once (well twice including the return leg) during the second week of the London Olympics in 2012. It was the closest I got to physically being at the stadium as we climbed and turned away over the Olympic Park leaving LCY. I really liked it especially as in those days one got F TPs although I have to say one felt the bumps a bit more on the crossing. On the return leg one of our fellow FTers almost fell down the stairs on disembarkation trying to get to some photos. I think in the subsequent discussion thereof here it turned out there was another FTer on board too. Unfortunately, living on the other side of town, LCY is not really practical for me, but I was glad to have done it.

Over the years there were a number of other All Business services that we tried - MaxJet (not great) ex STN and Silver Jet (they tried hard, but LTN was a killer) and one other who's name escapes me...
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel View Post
Flew on the Baby Bus just the once (well twice including the return leg) during the second week of the London Olympics in 2012. It was the closest I got to physically being at the stadium as we climbed and turned away over the Olympic Park leaving LCY. I really liked it especially as in those days one got F TPs although I have to say one felt the bumps a bit more on the crossing. On the return leg one of our fellow FTers almost fell down the stairs on disembarkation trying to get to some photos. I think in the subsequent discussion thereof here it turned out there was another FTer on board too. Unfortunately, living on the other side of town, LCY is not really practical for me, but I was glad to have done it.

Over the years there were a number of other All Business services that we tried - MaxJet (not great) ex STN and Silver Jet (they tried hard, but LTN was a killer) and one other who's name escapes me...
La Compagnie launched an All Business service from Luton to Newark in 2015, however they dropped it in 2016 and decided to just focus on their Paris service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: