End of the Babybus and LCY-JFK

Old Jul 31, 20, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by londonsmiler View Post
It may have been an inevitable cut, but it’s still a sad one.

i remember the glory days with first class tier points, an awesomely stocked gate lounge and exciting travelling companions- the only time I have actually recognised a celeb on BA and that took colliding into her coming out of the toilet!

even with the cuts later it was still a special feeling service.

I will treasure the closest I will ever get to flying on a private jet (except for the top deck of the 747 of course)

Besides from not colliding with celebs outside the toilet, my experiences and thoughts are the same as yours. When BA axed the 003/004 rotation, my gut feeling said that the 001/002 were next to hang, but it took some three years.

Only good memories left then...
Old Jul 31, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I Have to thank Flyertalk for enabling me to travel on the BA1.

in my quest for Gold I got one of the €939 DUB-MIA fares and was going to route DUB-LCY-MAD-JFK-MIA-LHR-DUB and BA cancelled the LCY—MIA route. I was looking at alternative ways to get to JFK expecting to have to go via LHR and called AA with my list of preferred choices.

THe AA agent said to me oh I have a one stop service leaving 30 mins later arriving in JFK at 3pm instead of 7.30pm is that any good for you? Oh yes I said that would be fine.. I’ll just get a supervisor to override that and get a seat released then she said. I was happy with this as booking onto the BA1 was €1439 and I couldn’t quite justify the extra €500?

Fly_by_Wire was on the flight the day before me and left me a message on Highlife.

choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jul 31, 20, 9:04 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post

Wonder to which route will the BA1 number be assigned to after this? I suspect it will be to one of the LHR-JFK service.

Cheers!
If its not LHR-JFK, then it will have to be LHR-DOH after the latest cash infusion
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jul 31, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Much like the retirement of the 747’s, this makes me very sad. It was a great innovation at the time of launch and the pre-clearance was excellent at a time before global entry was offered to UK citizens.
BA001 on January 2nd 2010 was one of my best ever flights on BA - only six passengers on board and the service was incredible. The service was still quite new at this point and still felt “special”. The last time I took BA1 was in 2018. Standards had definitely fallen, but the service from the LGW cabin crew was still exceptional.
Old Jul 31, 20, 11:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Spire
Had some great rides both ways on BA1 and BA2 - even a mini do with FilthyMonkey HighLife and a couple of others where we had a good laugh down the back. Always good crews and a good sleep home.

I am booked on BA2 next May returning from LAX on the SOF deal so no doubt that will get scrubbed in due course :-(

Here is another look at G-EUNA leaving LHR in March for Madrid.
allturnleft and ENTP like this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wonder if an all biz flight to another destination will re surface post COVID but what would be the aircraft?
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post

BA actually still own both A318s as they were both recently remortgaged.
Indeed, but NB is not currently operated by BA.
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by soy View Post
If its not LHR-JFK, then it will have to be LHR-DOH after the latest cash infusion
After the Concorde’s were withdrawn in 2003, were the BA1-4 flight number used before the launch of LCY-JFK?
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, EK Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss View Post
After the Concorde’s were withdrawn in 2003, were the BA1-4 flight number used before the launch of LCY-JFK?
Nope! They were only wheeled out again for the LCY service.
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I have to say I found the whole experience a bit 'meh'. But that may be because, when I lived in the UK, it was either in west London or west of LHR. I had the displeasure of working in Canary Wharf for a few years and tried out the Baby Bus. I never really got the hype, didn't find the seats particularly comfortable, and the preclearance at SNN seemed more of a faff to me after GE made entry into the US a walk in the park (but I agree JFK prior to that was a disaster). With a subfleet of 1/2, depending on what you count, its days were numbered anyway.

Last edited by LondonElite; Aug 1, 20 at 2:52 am
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:21 am

the flight number 1 is a very special one.
several airlines use them for a special and/or flagshop service

QF1 = SYD-LON
AA1= JFK-LAX
AM1 = MEX-MAD
NZ1 = LHR-LAX-AKL
DL1 = LHR.-JFK
EK1 = DUB-LHR
i believe, they will use it again...
Old Aug 1, 20, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
the flight number 1 is a very special one.

<snip>
EK1 = DUB-LHR
i believe, they will use it again...
I believe EK1 is DXB-LHR and I agree that we will see BA1/2/3/4 again in some form or another, but on an aircraft fleet that does not have unique characteristics like both the BA A318 and Concorde fleets.
Nephoi likes this.

Last edited by mrow; Aug 1, 20 at 3:09 am Reason: Fixing clumsy wording
Old Aug 1, 20, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by mrow View Post
I believe EK1 is DXB-LHR and I agree that we will see BA1/2/3/4 again in some form or another, but on an aircraft fleet that does not have unique characteristics like both the BA A318 and Concorde fleets.
sry. my bad. DUB is clearly Dublin and not Dubai. but i wanted to say Dubai.. so DXB it is.
well, DXB-LHR or AA1 or NZ1 doent have that much unique characteristics - when you neclect the lie flat in AA1... but this is available on several other domestic flights.
Old Aug 1, 20, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
That was in my plans (PRE Covid) for 2nd half od this year...... Add that to Concorde on the list of things I planned but never managed to do....
Old Aug 1, 20, 5:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I have to say I found the whole experience a bit 'meh'.
With a subfleet of 1/2, depending on what you count, its days were numbered anyway.
We are all different aren't we? I'm not sure what Meh is in English - but clearly you thought it as nothing much to write home about? I, on the other hand, adored it. It was a service which was both classy and special. I would rather spend an hour if needs be pre-clearing than doing so in the USA. JFK is vile - there is no other word. Sadly, it was obvious that the service was in its last days as already bit were being withdrawn at LCY. When I last flew from there, the Club Lounge was history. The service aboard was wonderful. The LGW crews that worked that flight loved it, and it showed. It was the last of The Good Old Days and Covid is the last nail in its coffin. I am not sad as one cannot live in the past. What I often think is that I am glad that I was able to experience it.
Robespierre and Grande Annee like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: