BA & Airbnb

Old Jul 30, 20, 3:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 853
BA & Airbnb

I recently booked 2 Airbnb trips, one for Aug & one for Oct via the BA Avios link. Both had to be paid up front but fully refundable

Yesterday the avios for the Oct booking landed in my account, 3 months before we arrived at the property & it got me to thinking, what happens if I cancelled the booking? Will be avios be refunded? And what if Id already spent them?

BTW its an excellent option for earning avios for anyone who wasnt aware of it
andymcdonnell is online now  
Old Jul 30, 20, 4:19 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LHR, LGW
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,398
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
the avios for the Oct booking landed in my account, 3 months before we arrived at the property & it got me to thinking, what happens if I cancelled the booking? Will be avios be refunded? And what if Id already spent them?
Interesting. Do have the answers to those questions?! Or do we wait and find out.
rockflyertalk is offline  
Old Jul 30, 20, 4:41 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Posts: 25,959
Back in the day, Accor paid 15% cashback on its luxury brands and it paid out a few weeks after booking, irrespective of when the stay was or if it was cancellable .....
TWCLAM likes this.
Raffles is online now  
Old Jul 30, 20, 4:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brighton UK
Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Posts: 923
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Back in the day, Accor paid 15% cashback on its luxury brands and it paid out a few weeks after booking, irrespective of when the stay was or if it was cancellable .....

My 1st Gold with them was, unknowingly, earnt with them that way. I got an email congratulating me and telling me when i'd get my new GC and couldn't work out how the hell i'd managed it until I looked into it - then stayed quiet about it. I requalified 6 years in a row so not sure they could ever be annoyed about it although I am, imho, rightfully( ish) p***ed that being 4 days short ( due to a forced canx coz of WuFlu) of retaining Gold they 'awarded' me Silver for an extra year. I suppose as my 1st year was their mistake I have to 'take it on the chin' when they catch up on their own mistake


For anyone who doesn't utilise Accor's scheme there is a Massive difference between S & G especially when it comes to upgrades to next tier or comp payments when they can't ( semi officially but by experience DEF applies)

Last edited by TWCLAM; Jul 30, 20 at 4:57 pm Reason: inaccuracies corrected
TWCLAM is offline  
Old Jul 30, 20, 7:04 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: STL
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 134
Duplicate post.

Last edited by Furby; Jul 30, 20 at 7:06 pm Reason: Duplicate Post
Furby is offline  
Old Jul 30, 20, 7:05 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: STL
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
Yesterday the avios for the Oct booking landed in my account, 3 months before we arrived at the property & it got me to thinking, what happens if I cancelled the booking? Will be avios be refunded? And what if Id already spent them?
I made more than a few Airbnb bookings last year for travel this year and had to cancel them. I received AVIOS a few days after booking each one last year, and when cancelled this year some of them resulted in a cash refund and some of them provided an Airbnb credit. Not one of them had the Avios reversed. I thought for sure the cash refunds would be reversed but it has been more than two months now since the cancelations and the AVIOS have stuck.
Furby is offline  
Old Jul 30, 20, 7:55 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Posts: 13,329
The posting of points upon payment (but before stay) has been discussed in this thread:
BA and Bookings.com / Airbnb
In that thread some have posted that they have cancelled and not had the points removed. But do you really want to talk about this?
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Jul 30, 20, 11:32 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 853
Originally Posted by Furby View Post
I made more than a few Airbnb bookings last year for travel this year and had to cancel them. I received AVIOS a few days after booking each one last year, and when cancelled this year some of them resulted in a cash refund and some of them provided an Airbnb credit. Not one of them had the Avios reversed. I thought for sure the cash refunds would be reversed but it has been more than two months now since the cancelations and the AVIOS have stuck.
I merely asked the question...
andymcdonnell is online now  
Old Sep 1, 20, 9:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mexico
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,231
Does anyone know how long points take to deposit? I made a booking the other day for about 750 usd, so expecting 1500, but not seen anything. Any ideas?
TTmex is offline  
Old Sep 1, 20, 10:26 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 853
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Does anyone know how long points take to deposit? I made a booking the other day for about 750 usd, so expecting 1500, but not seen anything. Any ideas?
Mine took a month after booking to deposit
TTmex likes this.
andymcdonnell is online now  
Old Sep 2, 20, 4:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Does anyone know how long points take to deposit? I made a booking the other day for about 750 usd, so expecting 1500, but not seen anything. Any ideas?
Mine arrived at 4 weeks from booking/payment.
TTmex likes this.
astutiumRob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: