Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GGL/CCR July/Aug/Sept Renewals - I need your help

GGL/CCR July/Aug/Sept Renewals - I need your help

Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
In terms of the vouchers, those who fell short of a GUF2 of GUF1x2 were offered the lower threshold for them,

M
They were? I missed this. I flew about 2000 TPs in the first 3 months of my year before covid hit and BA said I was out of luck for GUFs
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by alexwuk
They were? I missed this. I flew about 2000 TPs in the first 3 months of my year before covid hit and BA said I was out of luck for GUFs
You needed to have booked flights which were cancelled which, if flown, would have cleared those 2500 and 3500 thresholds.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mixbury
Although I am in this group, I would suggest you leave this sort of proposed action a few months. The previous extensions have only recently been announced, and although it is difficult to see any level of normality returning in 2020, technically, as of now, reduced thresholds are in place as relief. I think your argument gains weight as the months roll by, and this view is supported by the response you received when you raised it at Waterside.
Whilst I see your point, I feel that the suggestion to wait too long is a risky one. Don't take me wrong, I don't think that this is urgent to do this within a week or even a month, but conversely, if you wait till, say, February, you have absolutely no idea whether the next policy will have already been decided or not.

I think that one thing that we have seen is that once BAEC decide on a policy, they don't quite like revising it afterwards. To me, the goal of the letter that msm2000uk is proposing is to express structured disappointment, signalling that a given group of members feel that they have been short-changed by the initial policy and putting pressure on BAEC to take this into account if and when they think of their next move and conceive the next iteration of the policy, which by the way, a lot of people assume that they will "have" to do but nobody knows for sure.

I think that the idea of waiting works well for those who trust BAEC to do the right thing anyway or feel that the BAEC response has been right, but if those things are the case, frankly, writing a letter would not serve any purpose at all. In that sense, within the framework of what is being proposed here, ie for people who feel that the initial policy was unfair on a number of us, then I think that the case for waiting is not very strong. The main potential gain is that more people may get worried and would thus join a letter, but the main risk is that you have no idea if you might be too late and could end up with a more confusing message too. Furthermore, whilst nobody wants to start passing on monthly messages, sending a letter in coming weeks certainly doesn't preclude re-writing, possibly with even more people involved, in a few months.

My sense is that the best strategy in terms of what msm2000uk wants to achieve is:

1) a letter in coming weeks (e.g. Sept/Oct at the latest) by those who feel that the previous policy has been inadequate so that the "structured dissatisfaction" is registered and that BAEC have it at the back of their minds when they start considering the next policy, which may well be before the end of 2020 depending on how the situation evolves, followed by
2) another letter that could be sent around April-May if no adequate protective action has been announced by BAEC by then as the first people will start worrying about losing their status.

Simply postponing till February or March would serve little purpose as you still won't have much specific information about how many people specifically will likely lose status, and waiting till April or May runs a very serious risk of BAEC having already decided on their new policy by then, and there is no evidence that they are agile or flexible when it comes to adapting their own decisions after they have initially taken (let alone announced) then so there would be a major risk of being too late and writing for nothing if the message has not been registered before.

PS: can confirm, no reduced thresholds for GUFs, and I suspect that many of us July members have already lost more TPs through airline cancellations since 9 July than accounted for by the reduced thresholds.

PPS: count me among those happy to join the letter in principle. PM sent with the relevant info.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
... I suspect that many of us July members have already lost more TPs through airline cancellations since 9 July than accounted for by the reduced thresholds...
Indeed, that is certainly the case for our household. Everyone in our household is GGL/Gold and all requalified by at least March, all of us have an August year end and already have had flights cancelled in August and September totalling more than the 25% annual TP qualification requirement and other TP dependent perks.
orbitmic and crazyarmadillo like this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Jul 30, 2020 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks to Wozza2404 , orbitmic and Tobias-UK for summarising why I feel the need for action to be taken.

Thanks too, to all of those who have PM'd me so far. I honestly didn't expect the response I've had so far, and clearly I'm not alone in wanting some sort of result.

M
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Whilst I see your point, I feel that the suggestion to wait too long is a risky one.
I would never advocate waiting too long.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Andymick
I am one of the GGL members in the position that you describe. I am happy to be included in your proposal. However, I do not know how to PM you I am afraid - please will you advise me how to do so in order that I can provide you with the necessary BAEC information.
Hi Andymick , If you click on msm2000uk's handle (to the left of their post), it should give you the option to send them a PM. If you don't see the option, it may be because you need to have 5 posts before these options open up (although that is a total guess!)
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Hi Andymick , If you click on msm2000uk's handle (to the left of their post), it should give you the option to send them a PM. If you don't see the option, it may be because you need to have 5 posts before these options open up (although that is a total guess!)
The user has been in touch, and is onboard for our crusade!

M
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I received two contradictory emails.
May renewal

FIRST EMAIL
Thank you for your email. You are correct the additional year does take your status to May 2022, and this does include your Concorde Room card.
For your collection year from 09th May 2022 to 08th May 2023 you would currently need to earn the full 3000 Tier points to maintain Gold Guest List and 5000 Tier points for your Concorde Room card as the lower Tier points are only for the 2020-2021 collection years.

SECOND EMAIL
I have checked this with our duty desk and for your status year 9th May 2021 to 08th May 2022, you would need to earn the 3000/5000 Tier Points to earn GGL/Concorde Room for 09th May 2022 to 08th May 2023.

So effectively I am one of the 'no extension' of benefits group.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
May renewal

FIRST EMAIL
Thank you for your email. You are correct the additional year does take your status to May 2022, and this does include your Concorde Room card.
For your collection year from 09th May 2022 to 08th May 2023 you would currently need to earn the full 3000 Tier points to maintain Gold Guest List and 5000 Tier points for your Concorde Room card as the lower Tier points are only for the 2020-2021 collection years.

SECOND EMAIL
I have checked this with our duty desk and for your status year 9th May 2021 to 08th May 2022, you would need to earn the 3000/5000 Tier Points to earn GGL/Concorde Room for 09th May 2022 to 08th May 2023.

If you'd like to join the battle, please do PM me (just so I have the comms all in one place).

Best,

M
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed, that is certainly the case for our household. Everyone in our household is GGL/Gold and all requalified by at least March, all of us have an August year end and already have had flights cancelled in August and September totalling more than the 25% annual TP qualification requirement and other TP dependent perks.
Good example of the policy not addressing the issue.

Good luck to you all! If I were a July August September, I would do exactly the same.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Markie
May renewal

FIRST EMAIL

SECOND EMAIL

How are these contradictory? They both say you need to earn 3/5000 for 2022 to 2023. You get benefits until May 2022.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by Mixbury
Although I am in this group, I would suggest you leave this sort of proposed action a few months. The previous extensions have only recently been announced, and although it is difficult to see any level of normality returning in 2020, technically, as of now, reduced thresholds are in place as relief. I think your argument gains weight as the months roll by, and this view is supported by the response you received when you raised it at Waterside.

Also, I don't think this problem will limited to the three months you mention, and I don't understand why you suggest this is limited to GGL members? A July 2020 renewal, who had retained Gold by March of this year is in the same boat, no?
I had to gain my 1500 points by 8 September to ordinarily renew my Gold however these last few years I have earned about 3000-3500 annually and since February have been sitting with 1700 + and as such would have easily renewed prior to the now reduced threshold for the current year. To be honest though I don't feel that I'm losing out in any way- I just haven't gained as others have gained but that's absolutely fine.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
You may not feel the same way if you were already a month in, such as Julys, with flight cancelations here there and everywhere.

Maybe come September things will change. Maybe not.

I think BA will be tweaking the policy as the months progress.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Good luck to you all.

Originally Posted by AdBoy
I received my additional 6k space release (based on cancelled flights) on much reduced actual TPs earned.
AdBoy How did you manage that? I finished my year (June 8) on 5,400 and missed out on 6k, 7k and 8k benefits due to booked then cancelled flights and wouldn't mind asking for something if that's possible?
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Jul 30, 2020 at 2:10 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.