Cyprus flights

Old Jul 27, 2020, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Cyprus flights

Any idea how BA will react to Cyprus allowing Brits in but asking for a negative test? (Family flights booked for Oct half term). Hotel booked through tui and they have already cancelled our sept Croatia hotel

update: flights no longer available to book from any London airport so I suppose going through the change from Gatwick to Heathrow in the background

Last edited by Jlawren1; Jul 30, 2020 at 1:25 am Reason: Flights being changed
Old Jul 27, 2020, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Have a look through the Coronavirus main travel forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Also, here on the BA forum is a good place to have a look:

Covid-19 Entry restrictions repository for BA Routes *INFO ONLY Noise-Free*
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: Some
I think it's far too early to say for October flights. I believe Cyprus is saying they hope to move UK to Category A (no test required) by the end of August so BA are unlikely to make any changes to October's schedule for a while. My guess is a wave of August cancellations to LCA may be starting shortly as BA probably don't need 3 flights a day with the requirement that all UK tourists be tested 72 hours before arrival.
paulaf likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: GGLfL
September flights have been cancelled in the last couple of days, which is odd, given CY designating UK category B from 1 August.

My1 Sept LCA-LHR flight has been cancelled - the 1700 out of LCA.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
September flights have been cancelled in the last couple of days, which is odd, given CY designating UK category B from 1 August.

My1 Sept LCA-LHR flight has been cancelled - the 1700 out of LCA.
Not odd at all - doesn't mean the demand will rebound to the same level it was previously forecast to be for September before COVID-19 hit. BA is generally only cancelling flights due to COVID-19 about a month or two out, so the schedule may not have been adjusted at all for COVID-19.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seems that travel patterns are not radically affected by testing requirements (whether in advance or on arrival). People who want to go somewhere -- whether on business or for leisure -- are unlikely to be deterred over a swab. Furthermore, travelers would be well-advised to obtain a negative result prior to travel in any event. While there are no certainties in life, if one is indeed positive, few really want to infect fellow travelers, those they may visit, and others. Even fewer want to risk what is potentially a life-threatening illness while far away from home and unable to return.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Seems that travel patterns are not radically affected by testing requirements (whether in advance or on arrival). People who want to go somewhere -- whether on business or for leisure -- are unlikely to be deterred over a swab.
I'm not sure what data you are basing this sweeping opinion on, but I very much doubt this is true for the UK package holiday market of leisure travelers who make up a material portion of Cyprus's total tourist volumes. Even non-package holiday leisure visitors are likely to be deterred by the complexity of obtaining a written test result within 72 hours of arrival which Cyprus is requiring for UK travelers going forward, a lot of them will just go somewhere else in the Med instead (including myself in this bucket).
hungry likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I guess what the sudden decision about Spain did, is that all becomes even more short-termish. Who knows where the Cyprus figures will be in September ... I assume BA will reinstate flights,if it seems likely that travel there will be safe... say one week out ...
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
I just left the below on Head For Points in reply to someone who was specifically asking about PFO on Aug 5 so forgive me if my copy and paste isn’t completely relevant but I hope it helps some of you.

We arrived PFO Saturday Aug 1 and all 3 flights to LCA and the 1 to PFO were pretty much full. This was the first flight out to PFO from LHR!

We were unsure about the COVID testing and decided the private tests in London were silly expensive and no guarantee of getting them back in time (the family of four next to us in seats 1df/2df paid 150 each for private tests - ouch).

We contacted the Chessington (Surrey) drive-in test site on Wednesday, said we have no symptoms and are not essential workers and they said come on down! The test took 10 mins and we had our negative result within 12 hours by text and email - amazing. Even if you can’t do this, PFO will test on arrival at €60 each “if your home country can’t offer tests” but we didn’t want the faff, or the risk. Also, and although they board from the back to the front at LHR, we were 1A and 1C so first off at PFO which was a blessing. When we were collecting our luggage, we could see the immigration queue still snaking back so best just to prep everything in advance.

The Flightpass site was an absolute pain as it still thought the UK was on the naughty list until 00:01 on Aug 1, and then it opened up. It was so stressful trying to get through to the Flightpass helpline on Jul 31 - utterly utterly impossible and in the end, I called the High Commission in London and they said it’s a known issue and just wait until midnight which we did and everything worked but why not put a message on the site?! Ah, Cyprus!

We had no problems on arrival BUT YOU MUST MUST MUST print everything even if you have Flightpass. So, not just the Flightpass itself but also the confirmation of the booking time and date for the test (so they can see it was within 72 hours), the little cards they give you at the test site to say you’ve had the test and, of course, the results email too.

PFO immigration looked at everything very very seriously and kept the test result email but gave everything else back and we sailed through. This was an NHS test and accepted without question with no laboratory name, time or date - just an email with the date Jul 30 saying we were negative at the time our test was taken which is why I suggest it’s so important to take the booking-in confirmation email as well.

Our flight was almost full and looking at the 3 LCA flights on Aug 1 on Expert Flyer, they looked full too - amazing.

To the flight itself, this was the first flight for both the CSD and his colleague, just back from furlough. They were beyond superb which was even more commendable given that they might lose their jobs on Friday. I doubt it though as they were typical BA crew - cheerful, fun and so eager to make sure we had a fantastic flight, which we did.

The catering however... this was pitiful with a veg or non-veg sandwich option. The non-veg was chicken and the veg? Neither we nor the crew had any idea (there was nothing written on the box) and all we could see was something bright purple, nice!

Admittedly, there was a very very small but tasty starter of something salady and the Do&Co chocolate mousse but a 1x round sandwich (not 2 rounds) was a massive “we’re using this as an excuse to cut costs“ and will use “health, safety and Covid” as the excuse. It was genuinely pathetic - other airlines can and do deliver the premium experience so why not BA? They say it minimises contact but what’s the difference between chucking a load of cold sandwiches at us from the same trolley from which they’d retrieve and chuck a load of hot meals at us?

Of course, this didn’t really matter as the crew were so great but do fill yourselves up in the lounge, which was astonishingly good by the way with the new QR code ordering system and which I think they should retain once all of this horrid situation has been and gone. It was breakfast time for us and lots of choices (pulled pork gone though) but full English, kippers, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or build your own English - really good (no fried eggs though as I think this would slow things down). However, one has no idea whether the champagne choices (Brut or Rose) are Feuillatte, Monopol or Aldi and outrageously, there is NO Johnny Walker Blue! Despite this, it was actually a really pleasant experience but the much lauded card system of “occupied” or “clean me” for the seats was not apparent anywhere and strangely, very very few sanitising stations with zero in the first security wing. Why? Do bring your own...

Boarding was slightly hilarious by row number from the rear meaning they still board from the front via the air bridge - rear rows first (and priority boarding is no more) so we were last on but realised some in Club had cheated and got on with economy. We were expecting to have a major argument about overhead storage but the crew had been good and there was only safety equipment over row 1 and the other passengers had behaved too but given that these were LHR aircraft (ours was 1-year old), there’s a wardrobe so we were ready to deposit in there if necessary but not needed.

Lastly, we were surprised to see the antimacassars in-situ (did they replace these for the return PFO-LHR - I doubt it) but the bird did look clean but do take your own wipes. The tiny tiny wipe they give you on boarding is laughably small and every kid touched the conveniently placed arms of 1C and 1D as they snaked down the aisle to their seats.

I hope this helps - we normally come here in Apr, Jun, Oct and Dec (those plans went out the window!) believing Aug to be as bad as DXB but actually, it’s not really that much different to Jul and really rather lovely.

Best,
PlaneSpeaking
BAeuro, Swadbus, ENTP and 1 others like this.

Last edited by PlaneSpeaking; Aug 3, 2020 at 1:20 am
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Hilton Honours, IHG Rewards
Just had our PFO flights, 20th to 27th September, moved to LHR as we were expecting. The original email notified us of the cancellation of the LGW flights but only gave us the new inbound flight to LHR no outbound. Phoned the Gold line and was told they only offer flights at a similar or later time and the outbound is 7.30am much earlier than our original flight. Managed to get on that one so have the same dates but we will probably need an overnight stay at LHR.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Has anyone else had trouble checking in online for flights to Cyprus? Just had a concerned mother on the phone convinced that she will be bounced off her busy flight tomorrow.....

I am assuming it may be something to do with the need to present the Cyprus COVID test credentials at check in....

Also, out of interest, when does the 72 hour clock finish on the COVID test window? Is it 72 hours before departure from LHR or before arrival into Cyprus?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Has anyone else had trouble checking in online for flights to Cyprus? Just had a concerned mother on the phone convinced that she will be bounced off her busy flight tomorrow.....

I am assuming it may be something to do with the need to present the Cyprus COVID test credentials at check in....

Also, out of interest, when does the 72 hour clock finish on the COVID test window? Is it 72 hours before departure from LHR or before arrival into Cyprus?
It is 72 hours before departure. You need evidence of time and result of test. Also have to complete Cyprus flight pass within 24 hours of departure which needs you to upload the date and result. We are due to fly out in a week but are beginning to think it might not happen if the number of positives in the UK continues to increase. Fingers crossed.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend is safely on board the 664 today. She wasnt able to OLCI as they wanted to check her permission to fly. Flight busy but not full.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

We’ve been to PFO a couple of times in the last month and there’s no OLCI outbound so the paperwork can be checked for a negative test result and the Cyprus Flightpass (and to your mum and SP9652, do print out the originals as they insist on this, including the test appointment time just in case). Coming home, it’s no problem and OLCI works just fine although you will need to complete a form online to get back into the UK - BA will email you about this with a link a few days prior to the flight but absolutely nobody wants to see it at LHR! The lounges are closed at LCA and PFO and there are still only sandwiches on board so do eat before the return flight and maybe take a bite to eat with you in case you get peckish (the on-board bar is free flowing thankfully!). On the 72-hour window question, we always err on the side of caution and assume prior to arrival but to be honest, they don’t really question this and just look at the date of the test. Lastly, be prepared for another test on arrival as they’re performing random tests which is no bad thing really although it does make your eyes water somewhat! Safe travels!
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Weve been to PFO a couple of times in the last month and theres no OLCI outbound so the paperwork can be checked for a negative test result and the Cyprus Flightpass (and to your mum and SP9652, do print out the originals as they insist on this, including the test appointment time just in case). Coming home, its no problem and OLCI works just fine although you will need to complete a form online to get back into the UK - BA will email you about this with a link a few days prior to the flight but absolutely nobody wants to see it at LHR! The lounges are closed at LCA and PFO and there are still only sandwiches on board so do eat before the return flight and maybe take a bite to eat with you in case you get peckish (the on-board bar is free flowing thankfully!). On the 72-hour window question, we always err on the side of caution and assume prior to arrival but to be honest, they dont really question this and just look at the date of the test. Lastly, be prepared for another test on arrival as theyre performing random tests which is no bad thing really although it does make your eyes water somewhat! Safe travels!
Thanks for the info. We were wondering what we would be required to do for the return journey. We are on the 7.30 am flight on 20th Sept and will be staying overnight at Heathrow, is there twilight check in for the flight to save time in the morning? Just hope Cyprus will still be letting us in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.