India [resumption of flights] ?

Old Jul 26, 20, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

India [resumption of flights] ?

I am sorry if there is a thread on this - I looked but I am unfamiliar with these BA boards (I am normally a DL flyer).

Is BA flying to india now? I thought I saw where India was reopening to London, Paris, Germany and the US? I have a trip booked on BA on 8/21 and so far it appears to be fine?
Old Jul 26, 20, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Service to Dehli and Mumbai are currently scheduled to start 16Aug2020. See:
Impacts of Coronavirus to BA's August schedule
Old Jul 27, 20, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
AF and LH currently offer flights to India.
I believe that these flights are mostly "repatriation" flights open to Indian nationals (to India) and EU nationals (to EU).
Old Jul 27, 20, 2:26 am

I sometimes see Air India's 787 landing towards LHR these days. I suppose it's a freighter service?
Old Jul 27, 20, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
I sometimes see Air India's 787 landing towards LHR these days. I suppose it's a freighter service?
No it isn’t a freighter service. It’s a part of Indian government’s repatriation flights that they have been running for the last few months. They have had restricted sales with only certain conditions/rules that allow you to book. But they carry passengers both ways.
Only since mid-July, India has allowed some specific international carriers to operate to/from India. Currently they are AF/KL, LH, EK, EY, Air Arabia. BA haven’t yet officially announced flights in agreement with the Indian government. Whatever you see on BA.com is only tentative and likely to change.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Jul 27, 20 at 4:57 am
Old Jul 27, 20, 4:41 am

I am follwing developments on this. We have a flight booked to DEL in Dec, with the intention of catching another flight on a separate ticket out of India on the same day. Difficult to predict at the moment if India will be allowing in people who are non citizens/residens, or even people who don't want to leave the airport, but are not technically in transit on a through ticket. Of course, we haven't booked that second ticket yet.
Old Jul 27, 20, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Yanshuf View Post
I am follwing developments on this. We have a flight booked to DEL in Dec, with the intention of catching another flight on a separate ticket out of India on the same day. Difficult to predict at the moment if India will be allowing in people who are non citizens/residens, or even people who don't want to leave the airport, but are not technically in transit on a through ticket. Of course, we haven't booked that second ticket yet.
Even on a good day you’d need to have an appropriate visa for this if on separate tickets as the originating destination carrier would check in for this and not permit boarding in the first place if you don’t. Usually depending on your nationality this is as simple as applying for an e-Visa online. However, given the current situation, I wouldn’t be surprised if borders remained closed to non-resident non-Indian (or OCI) citizens for the foreseeable future. As of now Diwali 2020 (which is in November) has been carved out as the tentative full re-opening date, though no guarantees of course. If you want secured travel plans (or at least as secure as possible), then India, or transiting via it, is something I wouldn’t recommend at all!

Last edited by AirbusA350; Jul 27, 20 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 27, 20, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
Even on a good day you’d need to have an appropriate visa for this if on separate tickets as the originating destination carrier would check for this and not permit boarding in the first place if you don’t. Usually depending on your nationality this is as simple as applying for an e-Visa online. However, given the current situation, I wouldn’t be surprised if borders remained closed to non-resident non-Indian (or OCI) citizens for the foreseeable future. As of now Diwali 2020 (which is in November) has been carved out as the tentative full re-opening date, though no guarantees of course. If you want secured travel plans (or at least as secure as possible), then India, or transiting via it, is something I wouldn’t recommend at all!
...and even if you have a current multi-entry visa, that will have been suspended, so you need to be crystal clear if it has been reinstated. An existing, apparently valid visa in a passport might get you through check-in inspection, but it spells trouble arriving in India.

If a multiple-entry visa has expired during the hiatus, you'll need to know if it has been extended to cover the suspension period - and have a mail/letter confirming this. Or just scrap it and get a new visa.
Old Jul 27, 20, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Been on the phone with my clients in India (mumbai) for the last couple months.
In Mumbai, the government has not even started the local trains that the major of the population (well what left in Mumbai) use to get to work.
I, unfortunately travel to India on a multi entry tourist visa (too much hassle to get a business visa) and , well , maybe later this year if we are lucky
going to change my visa to one that Indian born , but having another citizenship .. the thought is that the government may allow those types of visa's
faster then my tourist visa.
Old Jul 27, 20, 6:51 am

Yes, we always get a multi-entry tourist visa for India. So we will have to see if they are offering any type of tourist visa towards the end of the year. That's the problem with planning travel right now: there are too many uncertainties, and predictions are impossible to rely on. One small advantage that we do have is that flight to DEL is on miles so can be cancelled without incurring too high a financial penalty.
Old Jul 27, 20, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Awesome.

I have a flight on the 21st of august. They canceled the DEN LHR portion but left the LHR DEL portion intact. No idea what BA is doing but this is a bit of a mess.

BTW, I have the 5 year business visa. It was pretty easy to get and relatively (for Indian standards) painless. No idea what is going the happen here - on the phone with Amex travel trying figure this out. Clearly I got the B team this morning.......
Old Jul 27, 20, 11:30 am

A lot of airlines are doing this. They allow bookings immediately the day after the government’s latest ban date, the government then extends it but it takes a few days before its finally translated to cancellations/rescheduling. India for all practical purposes unless you’re an OCI card holder or an Indian national is out of bounds and lots of states have various regulations/quarantine/health declaration apps. I would just avoid until India opens the floodgates fully which is likely not to be till the end of the year!
Old Aug 7, 20, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the indian government has banned all regular scheduled international flights till 31st august....the only travel allowed right now is through air 'bubbles'....i honestly don't see them opening up regular international travel till october so the op's flight in august is definitely going to get cancelled....
Paren likes this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
the indian government has banned all regular scheduled international flights till 31st august....the only travel allowed right now is through air 'bubbles'....i honestly don't see them opening up regular international travel till october so the op's flight in august is definitely going to get cancelled....
i am due to be flying to Mumbai at the beginning of December on BA (rescheduled from March and April when it was rescheduled several times) got a text to say the outward flight has been brought forward 15 minutes.

I have a Multi entry visa which runs out in November, although this was suspended in March - will it be extended or will I need a totally new one I wonder? Thank you
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CharlotteC View Post
i am due to be flying to Mumbai at the beginning of December on BA (rescheduled from March and April when it was rescheduled several times) got a text to say the outward flight has been brought forward 15 minutes.

I have a Multi entry visa which runs out in November, although this was suspended in March - will it be extended or will I need a totally new one I wonder? Thank you
i don't think they will be extending any visas....seems like you will have to apply for a new one....

also, the government has cancelled all visas for now....so unless you are an indian citizen, oci card holder or have a diplomatic passport, you won't be allowed in....

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 7, 20 at 7:57 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: