Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Alternative Flight

Hi All,

I had a flight booked from Warsaw to LHR with BA on a Saturday in September, I received an email saying that this flight is cancelled.

When I log in to my account it offers me a alternative flight of Warsaw to Helsinki to LHR on the Sat with Finnair or flights the next day or previous day with BA.

The original flight had me back in LHR around 1pm the Finnair around 5pm, the BA flights the day before or after arrive around 8pm, I have further onward travel of about 3 hours.

Would you take the alternative, and is Helsinki airport more expensive than normal airports?

Thanks

Bassset
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by basset44
Hi All,

I had a flight booked from Warsaw to LHR with BA on a Saturday in September, I received an email saying that this flight is cancelled.

When I log in to my account it offers me a alternative flight of Warsaw to Helsinki to LHR on the Sat with Finnair or flights the next day or previous day with BA.

The original flight had me back in LHR around 1pm the Finnair around 5pm, the BA flights the day before or after arrive around 8pm, I have further onward travel of about 3 hours.

Would you take the alternative, and is Helsinki airport more expensive than normal airports?

Thanks

Bassset
I am not quite clear what you mean by is HEL more expensive? Would you not be just connecting there?

Do you mean if you stay overnight how expensive the hotels are? If that's what you mean then HEL is much more expensive with fewer options. Around LHR there are plenty of reasonably hotels under Ł60 per night, whereas you would be paying double that for the few that are around HEL.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I would only be hopefully connecting in HEL, with about a 2.5 hours wait. Was thinking about a beer and some food.

Not bothered about the extra time it takes in flying time. Just thought I tick another country off before my travelling stops.

Basset
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Originally Posted by basset44
Hi All,

Thanks

Bassset
Hello!

Northern Europe confuses me, I think things are a bit more expensive over there. I can only presume your asking as you don't have access to any lounges. With the connection being same day it rules out a hotel.

This is the airports dining page: https://www.finavia.fi/en/airports/h...port/shop-dine

Maybe you can search the food places for their menus online to help come up with an idea.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Finland is much more expensive than Poland, to be sure. But still the cheapest of the Nordics! A beer and salted snacks will cost about 15€ I would guess. There is an Irish themed pub selling draft Finnish beer by gate 22, which will almost certainly be en route between your arriving and departing flights, the Oak Barrel. It was open afternoons only as of last week, it may be more generally open by the time you travel. Note it can be quite a walk to the UK departure gates and you need to allow a little bit of time to clear the Schengen border (5 minutes or so).
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
If no lounge access I'd second @c-w-s option of the Irish bar. Relatively cheap for that part of the world and decent enough to pass an hour or two.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All,

I will change my flight tomorrow. It will no doubt change again before September. Oh the joys of travel in these days.

Basset

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.