Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice on purchasing necessary travel from UK to US at this time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum

I have relatives who will traveling London to the USA in one month or two. Visas have just been issued. They are traveling because they are required to be in the US at this time in order to do their essential job. So no need for a discussion on the merits of what Visa they have and whether they should or should not be traveling. Can’t comment on details further than that,. A couple of questions:

1. They have an allowance enabling them to travel in any class they choose, and would normally select Club World, However given that flights are almost empty and service is extremely basic right now, what class would you recommend and why? I m wondering if they might as well select economy since catering is not what you would call spectacular in any class right now and with some luck they will could get an entire row of seats to themselves, raise the armrests and effectively get a poor mans lie flat bed? What are your guys thoughts?

2. They do not know their return date, but rather than buying a one way ticker out and a one way ticket back, I think they would be better off buying a round trip ticket with an arbitrary return date and change that closer to the time when they will return which will likely be next summer, so within the terms of the ticket validity. Does the buy with confidence policy allow them to buy a round trip ticket now, with an arbitrary return date inside of the Travel with Confidence Policy (lets say April 15th) and then later change the date (before the arbitrary return date) to sometime in June or July and still not pay the change fee?

3. I am based in the US so I more familiar with the terms of tickets bought over here which I think are a lot more flexible on changes. I know these are different terms from those bought in the UK. Is there anything I should advise them on with regard to flying the outbound from the UK as planned and then changing the return at a later date?

Thanks for any help or suggestions that you may have
hbtr likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Furby
1. They have an allowance enabling them to travel in any class they choose, and would normally select Club World, However given that flights are almost empty and service is extremely basic right now, what class would you recommend and why? I m wondering if they might as well select economy since catering is not what you would call spectacular in any class right now and with some luck they will could get an entire row of seats to themselves, raise the armrests and effectively get a poor mans lie flat bed? What are your guys thoughts?
It is difficult to say given many details are missing. For instance, what kind of status level do they have with BAEC or other now? What kind of routing are they flying?

AFAIK - BA catering isn't really amazing. Still, CW still has its charm - lie-flat seat.

It sounds like it is still a OPM situation. So unless there is anything special about WT, I would not suggest to switch from CW.

2. They do not know their return date, but rather than buying a one way ticker out and a one way ticket back, I think they would be better off buying a round trip ticket with an arbitrary return date and change that closer to the time when they will return which will likely be next summer, so within the terms of the ticket validity. Does the buy with confidence policy allow them to buy a round trip ticket now, with an arbitrary return date inside of the Travel with Confidence Policy (lets say April 15th) and then later change the date (before the arbitrary return date) to sometime in June or July and still not pay the change fee?
I don't believe so (I could be wrong about this). What they need are full fare tickets.

3. I am based in the US so I more familiar with the terms of tickets bought over here which I think are a lot more flexible on changes. I know these are different terms from those bought in the UK. Is there anything I should advise them on with regard to flying the outbound from the UK as planned and then changing the return at a later date?
No if they buy full fare.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung
It is difficult to say given many details are missing. For instance, what kind of status level do they have with BAEC or other now? What kind of routing are they flying?

AFAIK - BA catering isn't really amazing. Still, CW still has its charm - lie-flat seat.

I don't believe so (I could be wrong about this). What they need are full fare tickets.

It sounds like it is still a OPM situation. So unless there is anything special about WT, I would not suggest to switch from CW.

No if they buy full fare.
No status with any airline. Flying to Austin so probably have to connect in one of the gateway cities. I’m not sure Club World is worth the premium price right now, especially if you can get a whole row of economy seats to yourself. I do not think buying a full fare ticket is the best move for them. Sure it gives flexibility but they know their outward bound date with 100% certainty and a return flight even if they throw away the return is still a lot less expensive than a standard one way fully flexible ticket,
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No status with any airline. Flying to Austin so probably have to connect in one of the gateway cities. I’m not sure Club World is worth the premium price right now, especially if you can get a whole row of economy seats to yourself. I do not think buying a full fare ticket is the best move for them. Sure it gives flexibility but they know their outward bound date with 100% certainty and a return flight even if they throw away the return is still a lot less expensive than a standard one way fully flexible ticket,
Who will actually pay for the tickets?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Assuming money isn't a factor here (judging by your post) and also the onboard food and beverage service :

I'd be checking loads and recent flight load history of the destination.

For example if CW was empty to a quarter full, I'd choose CW over F. The bigger cabin space would be the consideration for me in these times.

If CW was more than a quarter full, but economy only 20 people for example, id probably go economy.

One cabin I wouldn't choose, I think, would be WTP. I like WTP , but it's appeal for me was the smaller cabin. But now the planes are pretty empty to the US, that appeal has gone for the time being.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Flying to Austin so probably have to connect in one of the gateway cities.
Catering was never really the defining feature of buying a J ticket. If they are happy lying across 3 Y seats, book economy. Otherwise book J. Austin does't seem to go direct until 1 Oct. Before that if they connect on a route with the new Club Suites (DFW on the 787-10 or BOS/IAD on 350), they'll get a nice hard product.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:53 pm

Keep in mind that the armrests don't retract fully into the space between seats so if the expectation is a poor man's flat bed accross 3-4 Economy seats then you/the traveller might be disdisappointed. You could always shell out for WTP tickets then use Avios to complete the upgrade to Club (subject to redemption availability), although this would only work for BA issued tickets. If purchasing from AA.com you'd need to purchase a full fare ticket in the lower cabin in order to be eligible to upgrade to the higher. By the time you take this into consideration you might as well buy a restricted business ticket that allows date changes for a fee.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:45 pm

1. They have an allowance enabling them to travel in any class they choose,
Does this mean:

(a) They are given X dollars notionally towards a flight ticket but can spend it as they please
or
(b) They are given up to X dollars by way of reimbursement of a flight ticket

If (a) then what they spend is their money; if (b) it’s other people’s money. Makes quite a difference to the assessment here...
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Personally, I would only buy a Y ticket. Most of the flights are empty and the chances of getting a full row are very high. On the other hand, BA and most of the airlines are keep charging the normal price they used to for C class which is a poor value of money.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My thoughts are that like other FTers it's not entirely clear what the objective is here, but
- if it is to travel as cheaply as possible, WT will always win
- if it is to travel as comfortably as possible, then it is CW or First (though personally I don't think First should be offered since it's not possible to do a proper job of it at the moment)
- if it is to travel as physically distant as possible from other passengers then it's WTP.
As for "value for money" then you're trading off personal subjectiveness on a scale linked to the above.

For ticketing, that's trickier without an end date. It is possible - at the moment - to get single fares across the Atlantic which are cheaper than returns, but that situation will not last forever, BA will be itching to end that one. Also if you are in WT for a cheap fare then that comes with restrictions obviously. What BWC does, as a minimum, is allow changes without a punitive change fee, subject to BWC's current dates. Beyond that it would need more information on the date of travel to advise more precisely. However if you are genuinely flexible on an Atlantic routing, then the obvious answer is to book this as an Avios booking, perhaps to DFW. You get maximum flexibility if bought as 2 singles, but if you are definitely returning on oneworld then a return would be cheaper. This cuts through fairly complex fare rules and is irrespective of cabin.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
I prefer F for the better bed alone
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:56 am

With no status on airlines, as OP states, then why BA?

We were booked on Delta to the US a couple of years ago when my mum had to go into hospital. A Delta ticket on KLM and Delta metal departing UK in business (and a cheap non-refundable one) and Delta offered a full credit to a future flight. Saved a lot of hassle with insurance at a stressful time. Discovered that this was standard practice with "non-refundable" - i.e. cheap - tickets on US airlines)

Alternatively, if desperate to try Club Suite etc, then this is the time when it might really be worth buying avios, if anyone is currently selling them at c1p each.

We haven't bought any, but we've used them for a trip to the US in December so as to get that "up-to-24hrs before departure" cancellation policy.

(and bought IGH points to get the flexible hotel bookings)
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If these people are going to the USA for an indefinite time, they may well need to bring non-trivial amounts of clothing and other personal items. Club comes with a greater baggage allowance, and while it would be cheaper to purchase an economy ticket and extra baggage allowance this can be harder to justify in a budget that someone else is paying for. Extra bags is a luxury - flat seat is not, according to some people.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I'd fly on a carrier (e.g. American) offering a F&B service worthy of the price.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Assuming money isn't a factor here (judging by your post) and also the onboard food and beverage service :

I'd be checking loads and recent flight load history of the destination.

For example if CW was empty to a quarter full, I'd choose CW over F. The bigger cabin space would be the consideration for me in these times.

If CW was more than a quarter full, but economy only 20 people for example, id probably go economy.

One cabin I wouldn't choose, I think, would be WTP. I like WTP , but it's appeal for me was the smaller cabin. But now the planes are pretty empty to the US, that appeal has gone for the time being.
How does one go about checking historical loads? As a point of interest a friend operated as FO on a flight to DFW recently and the outbound load factor was 12! About 100 coming eastbound

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.