FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Relaunches Montego Bay again ! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2022076-ba-relaunches-montego-bay-again.html)

Lgwfan Jul 22, 2020 4:52 am

BA Relaunches Montego Bay again !

BA have announced they are again relaunching Gatwick Montego Bay this winter, starting October 13th 2020. The last time this route was relaunched they lasted 18 months. See how long it lasts this time. PR release here : British Airways has announced new London Gatwick to Montego Bay flights starting from October 13, 2020.

The new flights will be operated by a three-cabin (World Traveller, World Traveller Plus and Club World) B777, and will depart on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

British Airways’ other flights to the Caribbean from Gatwick are Antigua (from August 1), Barbados (from July 18), Kingston (Jamaica, from July 20) and St Lucia (from July 25), albeit with reduced frequencies.

Diane Corrie, British Airways’ commercial manager for the Caribbean, said: “We’re excited to be extending our network once again between London Gatwick and the Caribbean with the start of this new flight to Montego Bay in October, as well as resuming our services to Antigua, Barbados, Kingston and St Lucia.”

“Customers whose flights were affected over recent months, and who claimed a voucher can use it towards the flights.

mikeyfly Jul 22, 2020 4:56 am

I think with TPA & MCO clearly not going to fly for quite some time, I reckon we could see some interesting long hauls coming in at LGW ?

corporate-wage-slave Jul 22, 2020 4:57 am

And the operating times are:

Flight BA2265 will depart London Gatwick on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 12.20pm arriving at 5.30pm and the BA2264 will return from Montego Bay to London Gatwick on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 7.30pm arriving at 9.25am the following day.

Lead in Basic fare of £427 to promote the route.

Jamaica is exempt from the self isolation requirement for all 4 UK nations.

BAeuro Jul 22, 2020 5:01 am

More winter sun leisure routes, exactly what I predicted. Nice to see another destination added to the network though.

scottishpoet Jul 22, 2020 5:02 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32549801)

Flight BA2265 will depart London Gatwick on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 12.20pm arriving at 5.30pm and the BA2264 will return from Montego Bay to London Gatwick on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 7.30pm arriving at 9.25am the following day.

that looks direct. This route seemed to have more success when it stopped in Kingston on the way out and the way back.

kanderson1965 Jul 22, 2020 5:05 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32549801)

Jamaica is exempt from the self isolation requirement for all 4 UK nations.

Seems to be good timings, hopefully there will be a bit of interest and the route succeeds, might be tempted if the J fares are reasonable.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 22, 2020 5:13 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965 (Post 32549819)
Seems to be good timings, hopefully there will be a bit of interest and the route succeeds, might be tempted if the J fares are reasonable.

£1,667 in CW.

kanderson1965 Jul 22, 2020 5:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32549831)
£1,667 in CW.

Not bad at all.

SonicStar817 Jul 22, 2020 5:29 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32549831)
£1,667 in CW.

Hmm I see £754 outbound and £587 inbound which is £1341, but then get £1667 as you did when it gets to the confirmation page:confused:. I guess its still being sorted through the system.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 22, 2020 5:47 am

Originally Posted by SonicStar817 (Post 32549865)
Hmm I see £754 outbound and £587 inbound which is £1341, but then get £1667 as you did when it gets to the confirmation page:confused:. I guess its still being sorted through the system.

Same for me, except on a low caffeine ratio I wasn't entirely sure of my maths. Having said that, fares tend to bounce around a bit on launch. There will be a launch fare (which I couldn't actually find) and some silly add-ons, sometimes you can get a bargain if you catch a corner that revenue management hasn't spotted, but usually it's best to wait a few days for the computers to recover from the shock of having a new destination.

RG1X Jul 22, 2020 6:12 am

Bah, I hate flying from Gatwick (nightmare for me to get to) but I do very much want to go to Jamaica sooner rather than later.

T8191 Jul 22, 2020 6:27 am

WOW! Back to the old head-to-head with VS at MBJ, then. How very enterprising.

I confess the grind from KIN to Ocho Rios, even with Highway 2000, was a bit of a PITA. This might just tempt us back to Jamaica, especially if their COVID restrictions are fairly relaxed. The only thing that would worry me (and apologies in advance) is the potential infections from thousands of Americans flying in from Floridan airports.

EDIT: Eight years since we did MBJ. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip...l-jamaica.html

T8191 Jul 22, 2020 7:24 am

Some further information here >>> https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/

The Resilient Corridor includes the coastline from Negril to Port Antonio. Only businesses within the Corridor that have been trained and assessed for adherence to COVID-19 protocols are allowed to open to tourists.
I note with some surprise that Sandals Royal Plantation (our favourite) is not yet on the list. And, of course, things may change if they get a spike or other complications as happened in Antigua.

mikeyfly Jul 22, 2020 7:55 am

As usual, for those that forget and have a stack of Avios, 2J available on each flight handy for spare 2-4-1s

jobstfeld Jul 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Does anyone have a view as to when seats are likely to become available to book? Right now, the route is not listed - which I guess is to be expected.

Thanks!