Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Preserving a BA 747 - The need for Action Now!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preserving a BA 747 - The need for Action Now!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I think that people who are clamouring to save a BA 747 are deluding themselves. BA are as likely to want to save one as you would want to save your car when it is ready for the scrapheap. Due to their age and the current business climate, the scrapheap is the right place for them.
I think you are misunderstanding the economics. They are being scrapped or resold because the parts/airframes still have plenty of value either as spares for the many 744 or -8s still flying or whole as freighters/charter aircraft themselves. They are still worth millions each.

Concorde airframes had zero residual value for any of these things so went to Museums. The time to preserve an intact 744 is at the end of their useful lives, not, just the end of their useful lives with BA.
gliderpilot and golfmad like this.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Sep 20, 2020 at 8:09 am
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
G-BYG are going to Rossiya apparently?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Lynyrd
That is what Airways magazine is stating alright, 7 of them.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/ross...ssion=true#top

Pilot37
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum

One novel use for a 747 has been as the starting point for flumes at a water park in Oregon (Wings and Waves). It is indoors so feasible for the UK (that park is great fun, there is an aviation museum and an RV park in safe walking distance)

Last edited by rather_be_on_a_griffin; Sep 20, 2020 at 8:51 am
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Not sure this has been mentioned yet. Is there any space at CWL to keep one (Ideally BNLY!) either as a museum Or air park exhibit, or for more novel use such as a hotel or events space etc?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
I think you are misunderstanding the economics. They are being scrapped or resold because the parts/airframes still have plenty of value either as spares for the many 744 or -8s still flying or whole as freighters/charter aircraft themselves. They are still worth millions each.

Concorde airframes had zero residual value for any of these things so went to Museums. The time to preserve an intact 744 is at the end of their useful lives, not, just the end of their useful lives with BA.
The point I was making is not too dissimilar to yours in that there is no value in BA preserving even a single frame because as you say there is greater value in them selling them off for scrapping or reuse.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin

One novel use for a 747 has been as the starting point for flumes at a water park in Oregon (Wings and Waves). It is indoors so feasible for the UK (that park is great fun, there is an aviation museum and an RV park in safe walking distance)

I’ve uploaded this before, not sure if it’s this thread but definitely a surprising sight on the horizon!
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

Any 747 being scrapped now after BA retire the fleet is at the end of its useful life (seemingly, no money or market in keeping it working). Therefore why not preserve it? More interesting and more educational than tonnes of scrap metal and composite. And if any of the fleet are sold on, the are very unlikely to come back to British shores (I recall a number of -136s ended up in the Gulf and were scrapped/stripped there).

I really don't understand why Qantas were able to donate VH-OJA in 2015 (while they still had quite a large 747 fleet in service, and therefore an internal demand for parts recovered from scrapped aircraft), while it seems so difficult to consider BA donating (or loaning, therefore no financial write off) a frame when the whole fleet is being axed, and the market is awash with parts from many retirees. Money is not everything. If it were, we would have no Spitfires, Mustangs, Lancasters of Flying Fortresses (all of which cost much more than they make as herititage aircraft whether static or flying). Thankfully we had visionaries to ensure not all were scrapped.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is a huge difference between aeroplanes that are no longer in service and aeroplanes that are in service; BA is not the be all and end all of airlines - its 747s are not special - when 747s no longer fly , I suspect that there will be a few preserved models around

At the moment there are plenty of operational 747s , so the comparison is flawed

If these were the last 747s in existence, it would be different
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is a huge difference between aeroplanes that are no longer in service and aeroplanes that are in service; BA is not the be all and end all of airlines - its 747s are not special - when 747s no longer fly , I suspect that there will be a few preserved models around

At the moment there are plenty of operational 747s , so the comparison is flawed

If these were the last 747s in existence, it would be different
So do you think QF was a bit bonkers to have donated VH-OJA to a museum rather than just scrapping her?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't know what the rationale was towards keeping one when it chose to do so back in 2015 - but I doubt it was the spur of the moment decision based on suddenly choosing to cease using that aeroplane type

It does , in face of it, seem to be a strange thing to do

If it hadnt be planned and taken place, I am not convinced it would have done it when it retired its 747s earlier this year

As far as any need to preserve a 747 for posterity - there are some already and even so, they are still flying - plenty around
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
So do you think QF was a bit bonkers to have donated VH-OJA to a museum rather than just scrapping her?
100 posts over 7 pages. All talk and no action.
If there is serious intent then:
1. Find out how much BA want for one.
2. Find a museum that wants one.
3. Ascertain the transport, decommissioning and preservation cost
4. Raise the money for it - starting with posters on here clamouring for it.
But absent that that, this a classic FT ‘why doesn’t BA do....’ thread - but with not one person prepared to actually take up the challenge. Ie if you want it, make it happen.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Lynyrd
Denied by BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.