Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios reward search on BA app has 1 week minimum lead time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I've been using BA app and I have over 300k avios to travel in the USA usually on American Airlines. The past year all searches would reveal reward flights through the app only 1 week in advance even though there were plenty of flights available during that week. This never happened 1 year ago I could book same day reward flights. Now with reduced phone hours and massive wait times has anyone found a way around this limitation?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Can you use the website?

Can't see any issue there looking at Boston as an example this week. Availability on BA is there.

Possible due to the worldwide events availability just is not the same as 1 year ago.

Also(!!!) Where in the US costs 300,000 Avios?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

i have done multiple searches, one way vs round trip, NY to Boston, ATL to MIA and it is always the same. same with website from computer. nothing shows available until 1 week later July 28 and then it's like 7 open seats business and economy on 3 flights.

the common issue is that flights only show 1 week later. i am using standard avios search.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Can you use the website?

Can't see any issue there looking at Boston as an example this week. Availability on BA is there.
Have just searched using the website, and (at least the handful of US domestic routes I searched) nothing available until exactly seven days from today. After that flights available in first and coach every day. Perhaps there is some new delay in ticketing? Or a security restriction to deal with hacked accounts?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Sounds worryingly similar to the Cathay Pacific issue - also 7 days. Have you tried calling..... I know,...... but Cathay pre covid could be booked within 7 days by calling.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stewardo
Have just searched using the website, and (at least the handful of US domestic routes I searched) nothing available until exactly seven days from today. After that flights available in first and coach every day. Perhaps there is some new delay in ticketing? Or a security restriction to deal with hacked accounts?
Have you tried looking on the AA site to find saver award availability (or using Expert Flyer)?

Generally the saver level award needs to be available on AA before you can book it on BA (and BA will, generally, show the same availability - with exceptions). Looking at AA for NYC-ATL for the next week they don't have any saver level awards (which is understandable - they slashed their capacity at all NY area airports and are still running very limited schedules).
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by absoluy
Have you tried looking on the AA site to find saver award availability (or using Expert Flyer)?

Generally the saver level award needs to be available on AA before you can book it on BA (and BA will, generally, show the same availability - with exceptions). Looking at AA for NYC-ATL for the next week they don't have any saver level awards (which is understandable - they slashed their capacity at all NY area airports and are still running very limited schedules).
it is possible that AA removed saver level rewards from their computers until 1 week later and that BA website is just reflecting that. i will research more using AA.com website thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

so after analyzing AA.com website offerings it appears that AA is the one pulling the SuperSaver flights that qualify for Avios until 1 week later from booking. This applies to both Economy and Business. There are other mileage flights available but they are just a few thousand miles more than Avios (ATL to MIA is 10k 1-way for Avios and there are plenty of 12k flights but no 10k till 1 week later).

so it seems for now you will have to book at least 1 week in advance and that calling in won't help.
Modo likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
I've just checked ExpertFlyer (which I normally use for checking availability that doesn't show up on ba.com) and I'm seeing the same thing. No U or T class availability until a week out...so, it is AA limiting availability.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
That’s not all that new either btw. Ever since AA introduced their web saver fares its played havoc with T and U availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.