FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Security Heathrow Hand Sanitiser (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2022005-security-heathrow-hand-sanitiser.html)

CeeGee Jul 21, 2020 7:47 am

Security Heathrow Hand Sanitiser

Posting this on BA,as I am travelling on BA but MODS please move it incorrect.

I have seen that the TSA in America have relaxed the rules regarding the carry on amount of liquids in respect of hand sanitiser.
Does anyone have any indication if this has been done in respect of Heathrow ?.
I can find nothing specific to sanitiser on either BA or HAL just the usual liquids restriction as it has been before the present situation.
Thanks

samfrost93 Jul 21, 2020 7:49 am

I was wondering about this too, but couldn’t find anything on the gov website.

FlyerTalker39574 Jul 21, 2020 8:08 am

BA hand out a 3ml sachet of HS on board.
Will you need more than 100ml of sanitiser? If so take separate bottles.
The total allowance of liquid in hand luggage is 1000ml.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 21, 2020 8:49 am

Formally they haven't let go of the 100ml rule, and it goes into the liquids bag - that's quite a reasonable amount of sanitiser really, a standard 50ml tube or two is more practical than anything bigger. Typical use is 1 to 3 ml per go. Theoretically you could take 20 such tubes in the liquid bag, to the exclusion of anything else, more than that has to go into checked luggage. Having said that:
- I have seen UK security staff turn a blind eye to 100 ml bottles outside the liquid bag, particularly with family groups, though this can't be relied upon
- You don't really need sanitiser when travelling, it's in hotels, shops, restaurants, everywhere I've been (Europe and USA), and can be easily purchased overseas, and invariably cheaper too.
- Boots in T5 and similar stores in other airports have plenty of stock now
- LHR has hand sanitiser units almost everywhere (oddly I haven't found one in the immediate vicinity of the tray handling areas by security airside).
- BA on board is loaded not just with the personal kit bags, but there are usually copious quantities on board in larger containers.

adrianlondon Jul 21, 2020 10:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32547736)
You don't really need sanitiser when travelling.

I don't agree. I like to make sure my hands are clean before removing/replacing my mask to eat/drink. The sachets given during the flight are good for this.

Edit: Seems cws meant that there's enough sanitiser en-route not to need to bring your own in hand luggage. I agree.

crazyarmadillo Jul 21, 2020 10:18 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon (Post 32547940)
I don't agree. I like to make sure my hands are clean before removing/replacing my mask to eat/drink. The sachets given during the flight are good for this.

I think the point is that there are plentiful supplies of antibacterial at the airport and on the plane. That how I read it, I haven't flown for months, so I don't know have first hand knowledge. Good pun there

Apart from security at T5, very strange

KARFA Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am

I think it was more the point that there is plenty available at all stages for you to use rather than you don't need to use it at all.

Barnaby100 Jul 21, 2020 10:54 am

The first lounge was full of mini bottles of BrewDog hand sanitiser type stuff on Friday

cheshirepete Jul 21, 2020 11:05 am

Not sure about other areas of security, but at the First Wing where I think you need it the most after handling the trays, there isn’t any at that point.

navylad Jul 21, 2020 11:21 am

Originally Posted by cheshirepete (Post 32548089)
Not sure about other areas of security, but at the First Wing where I think you need it the most after handling the trays, there isn’t any at that point.

There is hand sanitizer opposite where the security personnel who watch you going through the detector stand in the F wing which can use after you have finished handling your tray.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 21, 2020 11:23 am

Edit: Seems cws meant that there's enough sanitiser en-route not to need to bring your own in hand luggage. I agree.

Indeed as clarified, I should have added the word "bring extra". The world is now awash with hand sanitiser. I think it's a good idea to have a 50 ml tube to hand, but even that shouldn't be needed, and if you forgot it at home you wouldn't need to worry, it's everywhere these days.

DYKWIA Jul 21, 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100 (Post 32548059)
The first lounge was full of mini bottles of BrewDog hand sanitiser type stuff on Friday

That was sanitiser????

No wonder I felt rough on Saturday. :eek:

Barnaby100 Jul 21, 2020 12:06 pm

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1200e9673b.jpg

barneyb Sep 18, 2020 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100 (Post 32548059)

Are these still in GF? I've just had a wander around and couldnt see any and the staff didn't seem to know what I was on about when I asked.

S_W_S Sep 18, 2020 4:11 am

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 32683858)
Are these still in GF? I've just had a wander around and couldnt see any and the staff didn't seem to know what I was on about when I asked.

No they're not, I asked on the 22nd of August and one of the staff said several thousand went in a few days.