Boston Flight

Old Jul 20, 20, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Boston Flight

Iím so sorry but the more I read the more confused I become and have many senior moments 🙄

Our flight to Boston end of August still looks to be going ahead. What I donít understand is I thought people from the UK were not allowed to enter the USA. However it doesnít look like I can actually cancel my flight and get a refund only a FTV. Is this because the flight was booked back in September 2019 ?
Old Jul 20, 20, 9:54 am

The flight is still running for US citizens traveling to the US and Europeans heading the other way (generally speaking).

If youíre unable to travel but your flight hasnít been cancelled, then your only option will be the FTV.
Old Jul 20, 20, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
If you have travel insurance from the time when you booked, you may want to talk to your insurer if you want a refund.

However, if BA is allowed to fly to their destination and chooses not to cancel the flight, then they have no obligation to provide you a refund if you can't travel. They are in fact going over and above by offering an FTV - even if it doesn't feel like it from your perspective. However, BA may still choose to cancel the flight - in that case you can get a refund.
Old Jul 20, 20, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by lovetoholiday View Post
Iím so sorry but the more I read the more confused I become and have many senior moments 🙄

Our flight to Boston end of August still looks to be going ahead. What I donít understand is I thought people from the UK were not allowed to enter the USA. However it doesnít look like I can actually cancel my flight and get a refund only a FTV. Is this because the flight was booked back in September 2019 ?
Don't get the voucher straight away. You may as well wait and hope for a cancellation. It can happen.

If the flights were in September it could be a different story.

Book with confidence vouchers
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 20, 20, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I think what perplexes me is not the fact that I donít want to travel but I canít because I wonít be allowed into the country.

Iíll take crazyarmadilloís advice and wait it out.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 20, 20, 11:28 am

Just remember to call a few days before if BA haven't cancelled.

Good luck with the cancellation!
Old Jul 20, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kiloalpha View Post
The flight is still running for US citizens traveling to the US and Europeans heading the other way (generally speaking).

If youíre unable to travel but your flight hasnít been cancelled, then your only option will be the FTV.
I believe if you have a working Visa (not US citizen) you can fly from Europe to USA, right?
Old Jul 20, 20, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
I believe if you have a working Visa (not US citizen) you can fly from Europe to USA, right?
Check this link, that may be good source info for you. There are exemptions, no idea if yours is one though.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/
Old Jul 20, 20, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are significant services between the US and UK (as well as other European gateways). Many people flying because they meet one of the many exemptions.

But, none of that helps OP as he apparently does not have an exemption.

Remember that it is not simply a cancellation by BA but a substantial change which would entitle OP to a refund. I would wait until 2-3 hours prior to scheduled departure. Last minute weather or technical problems still happen and if either one of those results in a substantial delay or cancellation, OP gets his refund. If not, at T-2, he gets his "funny money" for future use. Nothing but upsides in waiting.
Old Jul 20, 20, 1:56 pm

Mostly no. I have an L1 visa, which is one of the most common. I can leave the US but I canít come back from Europe without spending two weeks in a third country.
Old Jul 20, 20, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There are significant services between the US and UK (as well as other European gateways). Many people flying because they meet one of the many exemptions.

But, none of that helps OP as he apparently does not have an exemption.

Remember that it is not simply a cancellation by BA but a substantial change which would entitle OP to a refund. I would wait until 2-3 hours prior to scheduled departure. Last minute weather or technical problems still happen and if either one of those results in a substantial delay or cancellation, OP gets his refund. If not, at T-2, he gets his "funny money" for future use. Nothing but upsides in waiting.
I wouldn't leave it that late in case IT problems or can't get through by phone. wouldn't that then be a no-show if OP can't get through or IT issues?
Old Jul 20, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ftv seems best option if flight not cancelled because any new ticket should be within one year of date of booking previous, which was Sep 2019, so only gives op a month within which to take outbound. Doubt much will change in that time. I echo what others say, give it some time and if no cancellation, take the FTV.
Old Jul 20, 20, 4:30 pm

Is the OP entitled to FTV?
They mention the book date being September 2019. The way I read the book with confidence voucher eligibility is if flights are booked after March 2020. Or is FTV different to travel with confidence?

Taken from BA.com this evening:

Cancelling your booking

If you decide you no longer want to travel, you can cancel your booking and weíll give you a voucher to the same value for a future booking (applies to bookings made from 3 March until 31 August 2020 for journeys that are due to have been completed by 30 April 2021).
Old Jul 20, 20, 4:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Nope, that's not right. Full details here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...coronavirus-2/
Old Jul 20, 20, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Whilst I appreciate there are a few that fall into the ďyes you can enter the USAĒ category, can we categorically say that most people are still not allowed into the US, correct? And by most I mean leisure/tourist travellers?

The nuances we present on FT could somewhat give others hope that rules have changed or their are ways to bypass this, but my understanding is that the borders are shut to the general public? Unless I have missed a lapse in Trumps demeanour!

Search this Thread