Wiki Posts
Search

Incoming passport checks/times at T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Incoming passport checks/times at T5

Hi all, has anyone been through passport control recently. Arriving tomorrow afternoon and wondering how wait times have been for others. Gatwick North was a breeze last week, but i always worry about T5 if everyones passport has to be checked.

Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I don't have any first hand experience, but just make sure you've completed this form - non-completion is slowing passenger processing down.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:52 am

Today was a breeze. The e-gates were open in T5 and no one checked nor asked for my declaration form. Not even a wait for a machine - straight into a free machine.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
I don't have any first hand experience, but just make sure you've completed this form - non-completion is slowing passenger processing down.
I've got the link saved for the form to complete on holiday before coming home, what happens when you submit it, do you get an email that you have to show? Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paulaf
I've got the link saved for the form to complete on holiday before coming home, what happens when you submit it, do you get an email that you have to show? Thanks
you will get an email with a pdf version of the completed form attached. If an immigration officer wants to look at your form you can just show it on your phone.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:10 am

Many thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I was there Thursday afternoon at 12:30pm, queued for an hour for a manual check. I think UKBF have now given in with the manual checks and opened the gates as of Thursday evening.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I was there Thursday afternoon at 12:30pm, queued for an hour for a manual check. I think UKBF have now given in with the manual checks and opened the gates as of Thursday evening.
I think it's variable. UKBF gave up at one point last week when the queues for manual checks were too long and made the eGates operational again.
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A friend of mine just arrived home in London after flying from Budapest.

He said that the e-gates in T5 were open, with no queue, and no-one checked whether he had completed the required form.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
A friend of mine just arrived home in London after flying from Budapest.

He said that the e-gates in T5 were open, with no queue, and no-one checked whether he had completed the required form.
Are the e-gates open for UK citizens only, or is it still UK + EU + "trusted countries"?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by redct
Are the e-gates open for UK citizens only, or is it still UK + EU + "trusted countries"?
My friend is Hungarian, but I don't know what other passports, if any, he might hold.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by redct
Yes, they are open for the extended group.

My understanding is that Border Force have told the Home Office that on current staffing levels, and with rising passenger numbers, they cannot check all arrivals. This was always the case at the Channel Ports. Therefore they have a daily percentage target to meet, and from that point on it's best endeavours. Personally I'd prefer a reversion to the Bangemann Wave on the Locator Form and then off to the e-gates - the really important point on the Form is that if there was a outbreak traceable to your flight or departure airport, Track and Trace can get hold of you.

In the meantime, the later in the day you arrive, the faster it will be to get through the UK Border.
copenhagenBA and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Took us just under an hour on Thursday afternoon , it was a complete mess and from an infection control point of view a shambles . Glad to hear it’s got better .
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf
The form is quite possibly the most badly designed form in the history of online form filling. The first question should be “are you British, returning to your home?” A yes answer would then mean you would not have to answer many of the questions, which are completely redundant to a UK resident returning home.
where next likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by muscat
The form is quite possibly the most badly designed form in the history of online form filling. The first question should be “are you British, returning to your home?” A yes answer would then mean you would not have to answer many of the questions, which are completely redundant to a UK resident returning home.
Do you know that was exactly my thought last week when I was filling it in. The length of the form and duplication of information seemed odd. And it is as if it is only designed for visitors rather than UK residents coming back home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.