T5 - bring on board food and wine?

Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
That's interesting. A couple of time I took some of the little bottles of sherry out of the T4S lounge and enjoyed them with some almonds on the A340 back to LHR. Never had any problems. Alas when they updated the lounge they got rid of the little bottles. And before this blows up I am not a serial lounge pilferer!
+1
Every year when flying to Gran Canaria we fly via MAD. Not sure if they still serve those 200ml Mahou beers in the lounge but IB cabin crew never had a problem when we consumed them on the plane. They were always happy to take our empties!
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Finavia
If you’re worried about consuming your own alcohol on board any flight, just disguise it in a aluminium water flask or any kind of bottle. Myself and the other half sometimes take a few miniatures onboard with us and add them to a coffee or a soft drink. As for people questioning your ability to go without for a few hours, ignore them. You’re on holiday, enjoy it!
Reminds me of my youth- get a 500ml bottle of coke, drink half of it, then top up with Vodka. We called them "travellers" and they were a very good way of getting drunk whilst appearing to be consuming a harmless soft drink.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Reminds me of my youth- get a 500ml bottle of coke, drink half of it, then top up with Vodka. We called them "travellers" and they were a very good way of getting drunk whilst appearing to be consuming a harmless soft drink.
I'd never ever say I've done that, however I do tend to purchase 7 up free from Boots airside 😉
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I'd never ever say I've done that, however I do tend to purchase 7 up free from Boots airside 😉
I was thinking about whether I’d do this for a moment, and I just thought to myself I wouldn’t possibly want to carry or drink half a bottle of fizzy drink without it containing some form of poison.

I have however done this with a gin & tonic when leaving to get into an Uber as I’ll have a sophisticated glass bottle of fever tree or something of the like.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Well after all that, we’ve arrived in Madrid having spent a grand total of Ł9 on a lovely bottle of screw top NZ Pinot noir red from world duty free and borrowed a couple of (cardboard!!) coffee cups from the Flounge. Coupled with a good fill-up first, it was a great trip. Plus we parked at T4 so none of the silly T4S train business.
ENTP and TTmex like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
One wouldn't want to imbibe too heavily while flying to a cycling trip, lest one become TheWobblingCyclist ?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
To be fair, one became the wobbling cyclist about 5 years ago. 20 years of racing will do that to you.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Wonderful to see some fun coming back onto FT.
There were times when it was all so doom and gloom. It’s been a tricky time.
The woods aren’t clear, but light is shining!
Im back to Belfast next week and the to Toronto in September . Hopefully, I won’t need my Pellegrino water bottle!
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
That's interesting. A couple of time I took some of the little bottles of sherry out of the T4S lounge and enjoyed them with some almonds on the A340 back to LHR. Never had any problems. Alas when they updated the lounge they got rid of the little bottles. And before this blows up I am not a serial lounge pilferer!
We'd taken a couple of Club Europe sized miniatures in our liquids bag and "procrured" a couple of mini cans of fever tree mixers while in the lounge. A request for tumblers with ice was met without issue from the front galley but the guy clearing in our cabin area didn't seem to appreciate being given the associated rubbish when prompted and set about advising us in lound Spanglish that this is not allowed here at Iberia and that we mustn't drink our own alcohol on board again. Admittedly I just shrugged and said too late (because it was by that point). I guess he could have been over zealous and keen to make an example but I've not really wanted to push the subject again since.... Not that I've flown Iberia Economy after this incident, I've always picked BA operated services. I did notice it is printed in the Iberia Cafe buy on board magazine in small print that it isn't permitted.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:50 pm

BYOB is a tricky subject in my view. I've had some great flights, and great conversations, aided by a little booze taken from the duty free (an example that springs to mind is a couple of supremely cool Russian experimental physicists on a Baku-Tbilisi flight, where they explained their experiments as we shared a small bottle of Jägermeister) but, unfortunately, when it turns to Britain it always descends into chaos. I think I've written about it here, but I've come to the conclusion that duty free alcohol should either be banned or packaged in some way not to be openable, when flying out of Britain, after inspecting a 747 that had just arrived from Vegas. Parts of Club and Traveller were soaked in vomit, blood, some strange liquids and Doors 3 smelt of rancid urine (because somebody couldn't wait for the loo, apparently). The police had to arrest three people. And that's unfortunately quite common on routes such as LAS and a lot of Spain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.