Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Downgraded F-J Return leg on flight I want to cancel - Thoughts pls!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club

Hi folks

I have an F return from LHR to ORD leaving late Jul, returning early Aug.

I was planning to get a voucher next week as flight seemed likely to go ahead, and as a Brit, I can't currently enter the US, and I wasn't eligible for a refund last time I spoke to BA. Tonight I was informed by BA that my return leg (ORD-LHR) has been downgraded to J.

I would welcome FT advice on my options please:

1. Does this return leg downgrade change my option from a applying for a voucher to getting a refund?

2. If I am still on voucher not refund, can I claim any form of material refund/compensation for the downgrade from F - J and accept a voucher for the remainder?

3. Will I still receive a voucher for full amount paid, even if downgraded to a lower class of travel?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jimlad48
1. Does this return leg downgrade change my option from a applying for a voucher to getting a refund?

2. If I am still on voucher not refund, can I claim any form of material refund/compensation for the downgrade from F - J and accept a voucher for the remainder?

3. Will I still receive a voucher for full amount paid, even if downgraded to a lower class of travel?
1 - yes you can now have a refund, best call YouFirst to get that; 2 - no, unless you actually travel, and it gets complicated by whether you fly one or both legs; 3 - yes, the FTV would be for the amount paid by you.
jimlad48 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
1. you can still get a FTV, and you can get a refund
2. a part refund under EC261, but only if you take the flight
3. yes as you didn't voluntarily downgrade

BA will allow you just to cancel the booking now for a full refund instead of going for a FTV.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Yes, no, yes in that order.

I would say you'd be entitled to a full refund - rather than a voucher - if the return leg has been downgraded which makes questions 2 and 3 irrelevant.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - as ever, the help here is really fantastic and much appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Quick update - BA are REFUSING to offer refund on the ticket citing fare rules - apparently it says that refunds not permitted on fare rules - this seems extremely wrong to me?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Quick update - BA are REFUSING to offer refund on the ticket citing fare rules - apparently it says that refunds not permitted on fare rules - this seems extremely wrong to me?
Did this come from YouFirst?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Did this come from YouFirst?
BA Exec Club gold line.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:15 am

BA Exec Club gold line.
As suggested in post 2, give YouFirst a call. Number should be in MMB.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
This is where it may get a little more complicated. A few steps that you can take, in sequence:

- Write to them and complain about the response you got on the phone, ask for a refund per EU261 rules once again.
- If they decline again, ask for a deadlock letter so that you can escalate the matter to the regulators.
- Armed with this evidence, you can ask your credit card company for a chargeback.
- If that still doesn't work, you can escalate this to the CEDR (optional but easier for you)
- And finally you'll have to go to court if none of the above works.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
This is where it may get a little more complicated. A few steps that you can take, in sequence:

- Write to them and complain about the response you got on the phone, ask for a refund per EU261 rules once again.
- If they decline again, ask for a deadlock letter so that you can escalate the matter to the regulators.
- Armed with this evidence, you can ask your credit card company for a chargeback.
- If that still doesn't work, you can escalate this to the CEDR (optional but easier for you)
- And finally you'll have to go to court if none of the above works.
The OP doesn't want to take the flights anymore and just wants to cancel so I am not sure any of that is going to be of use unfortunately.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by KARFA
The OP doesn't want to take the flights anymore and just wants to cancel so I am not sure any of that is going to be of use unfortunately.
Well yes, OP wants to cancel, but I'm fairly sure they would also like the money back, right?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As suggested in post 2, give YouFirst a call. Number should be in MMB.
You First also refusing the refund - offering 75% of the cost difference as compensation for the return sector only.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You First also refusing the refund - offering 75% of the cost difference as compensation for the return sector only.
Which is also wrong...
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
Well yes, OP wants to cancel, but I'm fairly sure they would also like the money back, right?
No since you are only eligible for the part refund after taking the downgraded flight. Launching an action requesting this prior to taking the flight would be a waste of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.