Wiki Posts
Search

Crystal ball time - Cape Town Aug 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Crystal ball time - Cape Town Aug 2021

So I know we've had enough crystal ball threads, but this isn't a destination/route I've used before and I'm hoping next August is far enough away that we can expect something close to the 'former normal' by then. Also, flights should go on sale within the next few weeks and I'm crossing my fingers I might get a decent deal.

A group of us are planning a leisure trip, may or may not all fly out together but lets mostly assume this is just me and the mrs to keep it simple.

Options I found based on april-july pricing (appreciate might increase for August);
* BA, from LHR direct - cheap as chips at ~£500 in Y or ~£2.5k in J each. For leisure I'd probably save the £4k on a shorter flight, but that's a brutal 11.5hrs at the wrong end of the plane and I'm not getting any younger...
* QR from LHR - similar price to BA in J but with a leg stretch at Doha and the wife hasn't experienced QR J/qsuite, which I think she'd enjoy. Presume Y isn't worth considering regardless of price (even longer in an upright seat, rubbish lounge at Doha in Y...?)
* BA to Oslo in CE, maybe a night there in a basic airport hotel and QR onward from there - seems to knock QR J down to £1300-1500 each which seems a relative bargain

Options 2 and 3 seem more leisurely and give a few more TP's (maybe same or less Avios). For option 3 - did I stumble on a good hopping point or am I mad and there's somewhere much easier/better value/safer? Am I missing some other good plan (even ex-EU BA via LHR again, though the sanity of that will be a slightly harder sell to the wife )

Side note - BA direct flight seems to indicate a 747, but I suppose that's unlikely given talk of them being grounded indefinitely?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:50 am

I have actually chosen your option 3 for myself, albeit leaving in Feb 2021 (OSL - DOH - JNB - PLZ). For me, Biz class on Qatar long distance is a completely different world to the equivalent on BA (if no club suites are available).
There is a long wait between your arrival at OSL and the check in desk opening for Qatar. Once we just waited in the terminal. Another time, we actually flez in the night before and spent the morning in Oslo.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The one saving grace to the LHR-CPT route from a Y perspective is that in both directions they are night flights with basically no time difference. Uncomfortable yes. £4k can buy you a lot in South Africa.

I have done QR in and out of OSL - nice city, if you have not been definitely spend a night there. I would do it on the way out, matters less if your QR flight into OSL is delayed than it does if your BA flight into OSL is delayed and you miss the QR connection.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Avios + 241 are generally good value to SA. You get the preferential BA flight tunes, no multi-stop hassles and the cost is around £1100 TFC plus 125,000 (ish) miles. Valuing at 1p mile the cash “cost” is around £2400. £200 saving over the OSL flights, plus the positioning costs etc.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Do you have to go to Cape Town in August? The weather can be dreadful. Pack your big coat and a brolley.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Do you have to go to Cape Town in August? The weather can be dreadful. Pack your big coat and a brolley.
Yes, not a good month to go.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:47 am

Ive been to Cape Town a couple of times & I'm based in DUB. I’ve always flown BA J via LHR and the odd time found F availability using avios. It’s usually about €2200 each. The OSL option has been around with QR for a while now, saving about €900 each but the cost of the positioning flight and they safety of an overnight in OSL eats into this.

Personally I don’t think the saving is worth it for the extra flight, the potential overnight in OSL and getting off a 7hour flight in the middle of the night to get on another. At best you’ll get 5hrs to sleep and it’ll be broken when your body least wants it to be versus 8hrs+ on BA. One of the great advantages of flying to SA is no jet lag and you’ll lose that.

As for flying economy, did it once and yes 2k will get you a long way in SA but you’ll lose the first day in CPT due to lack of sleep and you’ll be jaded when you return. Plus unless you’ve status then you lose the lounge and the luggage allowance to bring back amazing wines.

So for me it’d be BA (or VS) if you’re London based. But as has been mentioned, I’d be avoiding August. For me November or late January - April are the best times to visit the Cape. Either way you’ll have a great time though
Cris L likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
The British Lions tour to South Africa has been confirmed today (as much as anything at the moment can be 'confirmed'). First fixture 3rd July in Cape Town, first test 24th July in Johannesburg, 2nd test 31st July in Cape Town, final fixture (3rd test) 7th August in Johannesburg.

So, looks like you'd be likely to miss the travelling support if you go out in August but might be something to keep in mind for your plans!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
We've regularly seen exEU-CPT for around £1100-1200 sometimes from AMS.... but more interesting was a 241 in F which when adding a car hire got two folk to SA for around £3,600 in F a while ago. I'd not book at the earliest opportunity and keep seeing what comes along...
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by richardwft
Yes, not a good month to go.
All depends on what the OP is going for. If just to visit CPT as a city then no not the best month. But great time for whale watching in Hermanus, and depending on the rains in May/June the second half of August can see some of the most spectacular flowers on the west coast and Namaqualand. In addition, if adding a safari into the mix, August is a great time to be in the bush.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hi, drwook. An interesting conundrum for the community to unravel!

The weather aspect is already covered! As for routing, We’ve done both BA and QR to CPT, but only in J. However, while I agree the direct BA routing is “quick and convenient” the QR experience is also nice if you’re not bothered by the midnight DOH changeover. Costs being broadly equal, if no 2-4-1 availability, I think we would take the QR option again (see CPT19 TR in my signature). That said, GBP go a very long way in SA!!
(PS ... don’t rely on getting Q-suites, as the TR shows!)
As to whether it will even happen, check out the thread in the Africa Destinations forum and form your own opinion!! It’s a mess, and not getting much better.

Last edited by T8191; Jul 15, 2020 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
We've regularly seen exEU-CPT for around £1100-1200 sometimes from AMS.... but more interesting was a 241 in F which when adding a car hire got two folk to SA for around £3,600 in F a while ago. I'd not book at the earliest opportunity and keep seeing what comes along...
Ah yes, I remember making use of this deal as well to fly F direct from LHR to JNB and then connect to CPT. £1800 per person in F was an acceptable price for me, but the Biz class prices currently on offer from LHR are too high compared to what Qatar is offering from OSL.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drwook
So I know we've had enough crystal ball threads, but this isn't a destination/route I've used before and I'm hoping next August is far enough away that we can expect something close to the 'former normal' by then. Also, flights should go on sale within the next few weeks and I'm crossing my fingers I might get a decent deal.

A group of us are planning a leisure trip, may or may not all fly out together but lets mostly assume this is just me and the mrs to keep it simple.

Options I found based on april-july pricing (appreciate might increase for August);
* BA, from LHR direct - cheap as chips at ~£500 in Y or ~£2.5k in J each. For leisure I'd probably save the £4k on a shorter flight, but that's a brutal 11.5hrs at the wrong end of the plane and I'm not getting any younger...
* QR from LHR - similar price to BA in J but with a leg stretch at Doha and the wife hasn't experienced QR J/qsuite, which I think she'd enjoy. Presume Y isn't worth considering regardless of price (even longer in an upright seat, rubbish lounge at Doha in Y...?)
* BA to Oslo in CE, maybe a night there in a basic airport hotel and QR onward from there - seems to knock QR J down to £1300-1500 each which seems a relative bargain

Options 2 and 3 seem more leisurely and give a few more TP's (maybe same or less Avios). For option 3 - did I stumble on a good hopping point or am I mad and there's somewhere much easier/better value/safer? Am I missing some other good plan (even ex-EU BA via LHR again, though the sanity of that will be a slightly harder sell to the wife )

Side note - BA direct flight seems to indicate a 747, but I suppose that's unlikely given talk of them being grounded indefinitely?

Hey there,

August is typically not the ideal time to go and not 'peak season'. If possible, I'd suggest reconsidering the dates, but all that said, Cape Town is amazing.

We went this past Feb 2020 and the weather was absolutely perfect. We are planning on going back for about 2 weeks in Mid-February to Early March 2022 (some time in that window).

I'll leave the flights up to others, but we took the Qatar Q-Suites from DFW-DOH-CPT going down there and it was lovely. Coming home, we opted for the shorter route in Economy (United Airlines from CPT-EWR-DFW). It too, was not bad and we may do that flight again as it was so 'easy' (shortest time, etc).

Best of luck -- It's a fabulous place and I'd be happy to make some suggestions and recommendations on dining, things to do, a safari, etc. Just ask
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly the ex-AMS pricing disappeared last year and hasn’t fully come back. That was a decent deal as it allowed a weekend away and then the convenience of the late JNB flight right after work.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Awesome info everyone, thanks - lots to digest. I'll check if August is immovable - It might be, but I've clearly never been to SA and to show up my own ignorance didn't even consider weather being an issue!

Plan was primarily about relaxing, most of us are built more for checking out a few vineyards and finding some hearty food than action, although at least the wife and I will want to fit in a short one day mini-safari (because we're there, but not as the main point of the trip). I'm certainly more one for trying the local/traditional food whereever I land (at least to start with) so I'm hoping that gives us plenty of options on the dining front. Any suggestions gratefully received

I'll keep an eye open for that AMS option re-appearing, I can think of more stressful starts than a few hours by the canals. I suppose it's not outside the realms of possibility that BA and/or QR could run a summer sale to drum up demand in the next few months too, which might tilt the options. I think I've talked myself out of considering BA Y for now, I really envy those that can sleep in an upright seat sometimes!

Yanshuf - you mention a long wait at OSL waiting for Qatar check in to open, what are we talking desks opening 2/3hrs before scheduled take off, does that make security a pain? I guess this is something I take for granted with BA from LHR/LGW and trips me up sometimes when I turn up early for a flight elsewhere expecting to drop a bag and head to the lounge.
T8191 - yeah I'm sure it is a mess right now.... but I'm really hoping in 13 months time things will be better rather than worse.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.