Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your COVID-19 travel experiences on BA: Q3 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your COVID-19 travel experiences on BA: Q3 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BA293 LHR-IAD 29 July 2020:
Car rental – Avis T5 still closed (and likely to be so for rest of 2020), so off-terminal with transfer to T5 - always a bit of a drawn out affair, but at least the local roads still pretty quiet.

Slightly annoying was the signage on the lifts noted that the orange parking-terminal walkway was exit-only, so we went along to the red walkway lifts, only to find that the read walkway was exit-only and the orange walkway was an entrance to T5 (doh!). T5 itself was quite empty (early afternoon), plenty of new tensa barriers clearly in expectation for potential hoards of passengers. First check-in/wing also quiet (although I noticed a tensa-barrier line to the right of the entrance) and got through security easily.

Flounge was empty with more staff than passengers. The new food/drink ordering was easy and quick - and as others have noted, great service!

Salmon fishcake, and liquid refreshment:

Most shops in T5A were open, but only with a smattering of customers.

T5B shops all closed expect for WHS.

Seat cleanliness was a bit disappointing - given the intensive cleaning we were told about - clearly covid clean, not chocolate clean!

...However, an empty cabin.

31 pax...

...and we're off (nearly)...

Food was a disappointment. Having done this trip back at the beginning of June I'm not sure that putting virtually the same things in a box improved anything! Clearly room for improvement!

However, the crew were great (as usual) - and having an anniversary helps somewhat...

Arrival at IAD much the same as at the beginning of June: health form to fill in and individual checks (with temperature taken). Looked like GE was available after the health check - but we just used the normal immigration booths since there were so few passengers. Baggage was ready and waiting on the belt. In all, from arrival at the gate to roadside was under 30 minutes (not too bad, but way short of my record of 7 minutes!).

Overall: still very much reduced number of passengers, particularly on the TATL routes, but LHR busier (just) than 6 weeks ago. Bit of a mixed onboard experience with poor seat cleanliness, and sub-optimal 'catering', but excellent crew.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:54 am

BA430 LHR-AMS 29/07
i arrived at T5 at 06:05, there was a small queue for check in.
It was quick through security on the North Side (priority lane was closed).
i went to Galleries Club South and ordered the bacon roll breakfast.
In the lounge, I overheard people asking the waiters for the code of the day and there was one person who didn’t have the QR code scanner on their phone.
I went to Gate B42 and they called out the row numbers back to front, there were few people doing social distancing in the queue.
Boeing 787-9 G-ZBKK was my ride to Amsterdam. They handed out the anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitiser pack.
Boarding was completed 7mins before departure and we pushed back 2mins later.
for meal I had the ham & cheese croissant+chocolate muffin plus water.
The First class cabin was closed off.
At the passport control at Amsterdam, they asked to see the health form, they had a look at it and returned the form to me.

30th July 2020 BA431 AMS-LHR
The queue for security control and e-passport gates wasn’t bad at Amsterdam. Got through relatively quickly.
They called out seat numbers 30mins before departure and boarding was completed 11mins before departure.
Boeing 787-8 G-ZBJH was my ride back to LHR.
For meal they had “CM” which I’m guessing was some cheese sandwich along with a chocolate pot.

At LHR, the e-gates were switched off and they asked people if they filled the forms. There was lack of social distancing in the queue.
They asked where you come from ,looked at the passport and all the pages of the form on the phone.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Much busier at T5 this afternoon compared to last week ( Friday afternoon Vs Wednesday mid morning may have been a reason)

First lounge busy enough .. almost normally so .. The only thing of note that has changed is the food counter which had been pulled right forward closing off the whole food area that existed before had now been moved further back so only the area where the hot food used to be is now inaccessible ..so seating capacity much improved
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
Just a quck report on the LHR-AMS flight yesterday.

Arrived at FW around 2pm, the airport looked very empty. First security was working and did not have a queue. Contrary to some reports, liquids and laptops need to be removed as usual. Also all shoes need to be taken off.

Flounge was not overly busy but not deserted either. Small selection of food, nothing fancy. All orders must be done via the web app scanning the QR code on the table which worked quite well, service was very prompt. Drinks have to be ordered same way. Masks are worn by all staff, most travellers wear masks when moving about the lounge. Water bottles available for taking away.

At the gate, boarding is by row from the back. Masks have to be removed when showing passport. No priority boarding, which we did not realise so had to wait at the seating area just behind the check area for front rows to start boarding.

A small kit is given on boarding which included a wipe and some gel. We were travelling in ET, so were given a pack of crisps, a biscuit and a bottle of water, no food to buy etc, basic food in CE. We were offered some champagne (wife is Gold, i am Silver at the moment so clearly because of her). The flight itself was approximately half full, maybe 2/3rds.

On arrival to AMS, small queue at passport control, no one asked to see the Health screening form. Masks worn in the airport building and on public transport in Amsterdam

Last edited by Mawalt; Jul 31, 2020 at 10:41 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I had my first flights this week since early March. Flew GLA-LCY-IBZ on Monday and completed the return leg today, all flights in Y.

GLA are asking you to pre-register before you fly, something about anticipating capacity. Not sure if thats true or it’s to gauge numbers for shops etc.

Parking at the multi-storey was easy, parked under cover on the ground floor for the first time ever. Pricing remained in line with the usual charges.

Glasgow was a little different from before in the terminal. The BA Check In desks have moved to the middle of the Check In area. This is a further move than the previous one to accommodate the Automated bag drop.

There was no priority queue but there were 3 desks opened, so know hassle. Priority security was empty, so we were through in a few mins.

Main departure area was busy enough, though I expect it to be quieter now with Jet 2 cutting further flights. Duty Free, WH Smith’s and Boots are open. Starbucks was just opening as I passed it at 0800. Only other food places open are Panopolis Cafe Bar and Krispy Kreme (not sure everyone would class that as food) The GLA app is up to date with what’s open, which is helpful.

BA lounge was still closed (as it was tonight) and so were the Upper Deck Lounge (Priority Pass Lounge) and the new Lomond Lounge. Though the latter two are scheduled open tomorrow. Upper Deck will be located with its standard features in the Lomond Lounge when it opens, according to the website.

The main domestic pier was very quite apart from our flight. Flight to LCY was an e170 (the others were on e190s)and we were boarded back from front via the Jet Bridge. No priority boarding, which is to be expected.

Arrived at LCY ahead of schedule and was through security quickly. Not much opened in LCY, just WH Smith’s, Boots and Cafe Nero.

Boarding was on time and went middle rows first, given the 2 stairs being used.

On both legs, nearly everyone followed mask wearing rules. Crew were great on both legs, very engaging and friendly. Crew on the second leg enforced the exiting the plane by row groups much more assertively than the first leg. There some people pushed through. Catering was the bag with water and crisps. Two great and pleasant flights.

Arrived in plenty of time at IBZ this morning. Check In had two queues, one priority and one standard. Was pretty quite, so we were on our way quickly.

Lounge is closed at IBZ, as is the Main duty free. There’s a smaller duty free open, 2-3 shops and the food places are open.

Boarding was in reverse order again, however we all ended up on the same bus. Don’t see the point of the process, if that’s what you are going to do.

Also it wasn’t helped by having to share the bus with someone who was FaceTiming their friend about their flying visit home. They organising their weekend and the different peoples houses they were staying at. It would be good if someone checked up on her, as she isn’t planning to attempt to follow the guidelines.

Flight was pretty good again, had row 12 on both legs and the extra space was appreciated. Staff were good on both legs again. I didn’t have it, popcorn made an appearance in the catering.

We had a four hour connection at City which was dull. Flight back to GLA was from one of the older gates. Not a great amount of space down there, however once on the plane it was fine.

In terms of loads, GLA to LCY was the busiest. I reckoned about 80% full. All others were around 60% full. I actually found the whole experience a little calmer than usual.

On a side note Ibiza was excellent. Wasn’t my original destination, we had booked it after we couldn’t go to GCM (should have been my first Club Suites flights)

I hadn’t been to Ibiza since I was in my early 20s but this trip meant I saw a whole different side to the island. Really peaceful, great food, hotels and weather. Felt very safe with everyone wearing masks in all public spaces apart from pools, beaches and restaurants. Shame the advice changed, as it felt safe and well organised. Finally in typical Glasgow fashion, it was raining when we landed.

Was really nice to travel again, I have missed it. Now not due to fly again until October but will see what happens with that.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:38 am
dnw

Are you still able to use the e-gates at LCY when arriving from Spain? Last two trips in July I did so but unsure if this has changed since Spain was removed from the travel corridor list.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dnw
Are you still able to use the e-gates at LCY when arriving from Spain? Last two trips in July I did so but unsure if this has changed since Spain was removed from the travel corridor list.
Sorry I forgot to mention that. Just before Passport Control at LCY they were checking peoples temperatures and that they had completed the locator from. E Gates were in use initially but they failed just before we got to them, so we were directed to one of the desks.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:45 am

So have I understood correctly from posts here that e gates being open at LHR is a bit of a gamble and that sometimes they check the location form, other times not, based on who is there? When they are checking, are queues chunky?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dan1113
So have I understood correctly from posts here that e gates being open at LHR is a bit of a gamble and that sometimes they check the location form, other times not, based on who is there? When they are checking, are queues chunky?
Unpredictable, but it seems more likely in the morning, middle of the day, less likely to the end of the day, but the impression I'm getting is that even when they are checking and queues are building up, it's not adding more than about 10 to 20 minutes to the time to get landside.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I thought I'd share a short experience on eurostar at the weekend as a comparison, mods feel free to delete if too far off-topic.

Fast track and the lounge were both open on Friday, first week of lounge opening apparently. Extremely quiet. Lots of seat change tickets were issued at check-in to ensure social distancing on the trains, and announcements to sit in assigned seats. No catering in premium classes, and the on-board bar is closed to limit movement. Interestingly, WiFi not working blamed on COVID - the logic part of my brain had a malfunction upon hearing that.

On the way back yesterday, very long process to go through UK border checks in Lille with BF checking PLF. They were handing out a little slip of paper with hand-written date and passport number to hand in once in London. In London there was a BF agent picking about one in ten passengers to go through a secondary check where all that was required was to hand in the paper slip.
adrianlondon and wilsnunn like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flew to Bologna on 25/7 - flight departed at 08.00 and I arrived at 05.30 (had been aiming for 6 but a nice quick journey), no issue getting into the terminal. It felt busy but there weren't the queues out of the door that had been reported the previous Saturday. A small queue had built up for the First wing in the time it took for my friends to come through from the car park, but we probably only had to wait 5 mins to get to a check in desk. Temperatures were taken while we were in the queue - although no record was taken of who we were and we were simply asked at the check in desk if we'd had our temperature taken. The check in process was slow - the agent said there were a lot of notes in the booking that needed to be cleared, which i think related to travelling to Italy. There were two too many of us to use the First Wing security so we headed off to the main security. There was a small queue for those with wheelie cases but we were waved straight through and overall security felt pretty quick and painless - although they were rather random with who had to take their shoes off.

In the terminal there was a large queue for Pret, which wasn't overly surprising, and in WH Smith and Boots. Magazine selection in Smiths was pretty poor - not sure if this was because there are few magazines being published or they'd just sold out, but there were very few of the usual women's magazines available.

Boarding started late because they were late bringing the plane over from the hangar. Boarding was by row number and was pretty organised, I think we ended up pushing back about 30 mins late, and there was then a queue to take off which took a little while.

On board everyone wore their masks and it was pretty uneventful. Had to laugh at the long-winded spiel about how the onboard food offering had been carefully designed with safety and nutrition in mind - I'm not sure how they managed to end up offering a bag of crisps and pack of biscuits if that was the case. Poor Greta must be wondering if the trade off for less travel at the minute is worth the mountains of plastic that are now being used on board. On arrival in Bologna, everyone stayed seated until called to leave (well apart from one or two who insisted on getting their things out of the lockers before their turn) - exiting was done from front and rear doors. Temperatures were taken on entry into the terminal, and after walking from the plane and queueing in the heat there were quite a few fails, including myself - all fine after a few minutes though. Passport control was very slow, but so was the luggage.

On return from Bologna on Sat 1 August, check in was quick (at least in the priority queue) and there were no queues at security. We again had to fill out a form to be handed in at the gate. Be aware that the airside full service restaurants are all closed, and you can only buy snacks or sandwiches when you have gone through. There is one small bar and a duty free shop open in the non-Schengen area through passport control. Boarding was again by row number, although as no-one could hear the announcements it was a little more chaotic. The return flight was also late - about 35 minutes.

On board, it was very much as on the way out and on arrival in London everyone again remained seated until asked to leave. We landed around 21.15 and there weren't the queues at passport control that were reported earlier in the day - those in my group who could use the e-gates went straight through (no-one asked about a PLF), however there were some with young children who had to go to the desks and they probably had to wait 20-30 mins to get through. It probably wasn't helped that it seemed like there was just one queue for all nationalities and not a separate EU one, and with a Qatar plane having landed a little earlier, they ended up being stuck behind a lot of people requiring detailed passport and visa checks. Luggage was also slow, and we'd just got the last of the luggage for our party when those with kids came through. I took a zipcar home and there were plenty available (although only Polos).
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
AMS-LHR BA431 earlier today (dep 11:45)

Check-in for business class and status holders was "busy" - small queue but nothing overly long. Asked about AMS Lounge that was supposed to reopen today, was told it was still shut and it was not known when it will re-open. Asked about fast track security (as it always seems to be an issue when not travelling business through Schiphol - was advised both Gold (wife's) and Silver (my) cards will get us in, this was not the case. They would accept Gold but not Silver and would not allow guests for Gold. Something is still not right with their training! As the queues were not long, we decided to go to the "normal" security.

eGates at passport control were shut, in-person passport control was working; queue took about 10-15 mins. No one asked to show the health declaration form.

Terminal was reasonably busy, most people and some (!)staff wear masks. BA Lounge was shut as we were told, ventured to Aspire next door (used by some oneworld airlines), but they don't accept customers travelling on BA, so we ended up using my PriorityPass card. Lounge was averagely busy (most good seats taken, but there were some spares), food was mediocre but juice and coffee machines were working.

Flight was completely full except 2 seats - I certainly was not expecting that! Wipes and gel were provided as was water, crisps and a biscuit in ET, not sure about CE as were seated further away due to numerous changes of divider that kept getting moved backwards in the days before the flight.

On arrival to LHR, horrendous queue at passport control as eGates were shut when we arrived there. Eventually they opened the gates after 5 mins and the queue started moving more quickly. No one asked to see the Passenger Locator Form but we did use eGates.

Cannot comment on luggage speed as was travelling hand luggage only.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
So BA508 LHR-FAO Sunday 19th july
Arrived to Heathrow about 11:30. Queues at check in seemed much longer than normal (typically I’d expect the queues to only be 1-5ppl in front of me), however it moves quickly enough and security was pretty quick.

As others have mentioned, only about half the shops appeared to be open (star Bucks and WHSmiths were two notable closed shops. However some good reductions on spirits in the duty/ tax free shop! (Remy Martin cellar 16 only £38 from around £60)

Boarding was easy enough, starting from the back (which makes a lot of sense anyway). Flight seemed about 70-80% full. We were down the back (row 22 iirc), my only (minor) irk was having ‘reserved’ row 13, it was changed a couple of days beforehand with no notice as club got extended (a quick e-mail to advise of this would have been welcome).
flight crew were friendly, and was pleasantly surprised to Be given water, some biscuits and some crisps. also the Portuguese track and trace cards given out on the flight.

Disembarkation similarly in reverse, perhaps could be quickened by allowing the next group to get their bags ready?
interestingly my Bronze bag tag hold luggage (yes I’m one of them!) was already on the belt when we got through passport control, along with one or two other bags, all the other luggage took another 10+ mins to arrive.

return journey (Ba2963 on the 2nd), similar experience, (half the shops shut at FAO) cheery flight crew, fairly painless (though I was a tad worried about a delay when the AC turned off the runway to check something, before getting back on the runway 5mins later). The crew advised us we needed the fill in the UK track and trace, but on the ground it seemed only families going through the manned gates actually got checked for the form (that’s clearly not BA’s fault though!).
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Not specifically BA related but it looked like Heathrow was back on dual runway operations when we arrived this evening ... sign of things getting busier now ?

Passport control this evening around 8.30pm was pretty slow , e-Gates were on but the other queue ( had kids so had to use the manual queue ) seems to now mix the 'Other Passports' queue and the 'Can't/Won't use e-Gates' queues together ... probably not too much of an issue at the moment as limited enough non European travel going on , but it means the line moves slower than it used to ( also because of the form checking going on ) .. Not terrible, and nothing worse that you'd get sometimes in the evening before all this .. but it's always a bit annoying ! .. Also seemed this evening that the Zipcar surplus is gone .. couldn't pickup a car this evening
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Nice experience this morning, about 10-15 groups waiting for bagdrop at FW, I was initially told to join the queue but an agent was walking down and let me through since I was checked-in and HBO. Both lanes were open at security and I was through in a breeze.

Had an à-la-carte breakfast, arrived promptly and had welcomes from at least 3 staff. The powder scrambled eggs weren't much to write home about and I think the bacon is gradually getting worse.

GF breakfast

The bar was manned by our favourite cocktail master from the CCR, he looked chuffed to be back but disappointed he couldn't make anything more than a bloody Mary 😂 I didn't partake before 8am though.

Flight to BSL was nice too. I don't think boarding was back to front, there was just a queue when I got to B gates, but lots of families with pushchairs arriving as it went on and using the special assistance lane so getting through first. I don't think the ground staff could have done anything differently to be honest.

On-board CE food was back to the cheese and ham croissant - I think I had a double dose of ham and cheese because there was a lot of it - chocolate muffin and water. Had tea as well, in a paper cup, the nice strong one you get on BA. For band 1 it's adequate.

​​​​​​A few people were wandering up and down the aisle at times, I think we had 3 or 4 announcements from CC during the flight about sitting down if not going to the loo.

Disembarking was front to back, but again a bit less disciplined than my first couple of flights, some people up in the overhead lockers as soon as the seat belt sign went off. CC were a bit more assertive in their announcements, more exasperated than angry though.

Very good crew, nice flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.