Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your COVID-19 travel experiences on BA: Q3 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your COVID-19 travel experiences on BA: Q3 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I have gone 3 BA flights and none of them called pre boarding. There were certainly passengers including elderly with walking aids and tiny babies who would traditionally have been pre boarded. On one they did board a person in a wheelchair who had airport assistance but no calls.
Pre-boarding at LHR is done some time (5-10 minutes) before main boarding. It's not the first call of the boarding process.
Pilou likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Pre-boarding at LHR is done some time (5-10 minutes) before main boarding. It's not the first call of the boarding process.
They didn't ask anyone to identify for pre-boarding on any of the 3 flights, MAN, LHR or INV. INV certainly had a number of passengers who would usually have been pre-boarded.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jul 22, 2020 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
One thing that may not have been mentioned already .. but if you're being dropped off on the Departures level at T5 be aware that the first ( and the last ?) - 'bridge' over to the checkin area are closed so you should get out of the car around the middle of the bridge

Other than that very tranquil here this morning ... never seen the Short Term Car park so quiet ( used Zipcar - there's an abundance of them here this morning anyway overflowing the normal parking spots ) but the terminal wasn't that quiet , plenty of people around .. Lounge wouldn't be described as busy, but certainly isn't empty either
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Good to be back on BA. Last week T2 was dead and nothing but Leon/Cavir House open. T5 in comparison feels more like it used to.
check in takes a bit longer - was travelling to a Poland and OLCI was not available. Good lounge service is easy and extremely quick - remember to take note of the day’s password as you enter - you will need it to order food.
One new thing is that boarding is now strictly in rows. The gate staff said it is so much quicker. So no need to rush to the gate if you are up front. However not sure how this will work if flights are full with HBO pax. .i would be annoyed paying for CE but not be able to store a bag.
Flight service in CE is friendly with staff pleased to be there. The food boxes are beautifully presented, although clearly the food offering isn’t the same. Plastic cups and cutlery are annoying but so be it. Lack of ice needs a rethink.
Best bit I thought was the hand sanitiser and wipes sachets handed out at boarding - a good idea generally, given the condition of some seats and trays historically!
All in all, it’s the ‘new normal’ and it is a huge improvement on May, when I last flew BA, and miles ahead of other European carriers IMHO. It felt good to be back.
As a general comment, Europe does seem less bothered by all this CV19 stuff. All precautions are taken, but everyone seems less tense and officious. But then perhaps that’s just their positive response to my smile for being out of the UK
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by go_around
Are families with infants still given priority boarding or has that been scrapped?
It was scrapped on our flight - no priority boarding whatsoever. TBH, it really isn't needed for the transatlantic flights - plenty of seats, plenty of overhead bin space, no queues.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
The numbers reported for today's flight, above, were more or less right, other than that there were 21 in WT. Not sure if that is crew or duty related to explain the spike there. It was 4 in First, looks like someone accepted a AUP.

But for your flight, 6 are in First, 8 in CW, 2 in WTP, and about 18 in WT, using a bit of guess work. So you should be able to get a spare seat for the infant, it's fairly empty around row 40. WTP may be worth considering if you can upgrade with Avios or cash tomorrow, seeing how empty it is, however the seat sides are fixed so less useful if you want side space.

Thank you!

Just coming back to report our experience.

Flew: LHR-LAX on a Wednesday in WT (2 adults and 1 infant)
Total Passengers: 44 (heard the crew say this as they were counting us)
Departed: On time from B Gates
Arrived: Early

Check in: As someone who has flown UK-California nearly 40+ times in the last 10 years, I can say it was a totally different experience than usual. We got to the airport about 3 hours before the flight as we were travelling with quite a bit of kit since we have the baby. Check in was quick - no queue, just walked up and didn't even bother with priority lane. TIP* - If you have dual passports, they want to see the US ones even if you are used to flying out on the UK one, as the US as strict entry reqs at the moment.

Security: This was quicker than ever (even quicker than priority lanes) - walked straight up. Everyone was super nice and friendly, and it seemed like a much different Heathrow than I am used to.

Airside: I am only OW Ruby at the moment, so no lounge access. We spent our time pushing baby in the pram though, so she would take a nap. We also bought ALL our own food and drink for the plane. Options are limited to what has been reported: Gordon Ramsey plane food (but strictly breakfast only until 12), Boots, WHSmith (only one open), Pret (both), F&M, and I think that was it.... We bought a lot from Pret and Boots to take on the flight, and brought our own stuff for the baby. We were trying to avoid any food being served on the plane (a few others did the same).

Boarding: We were the only ones with a pram and baby. No priority/early boarding was offered. They started strictly by rows - starting at back. We entered near the end as we were wrangling the baby and finishing up her snack. No overhead bin space issues, around 15 people in WT. Most people are toward the front of the section, so if you want the most space possible, choose seats further back. Minimal flight attendant staffing, they even do the safety demo twice (in front and back) due to limited staffing.

On board: Everyone wore masks (bar a few who would take them off for extended periods ). You had plenty of space to spread out. TIP* We brought an old sheet to put on the seats for baby as her hands are everywhere. This made us feel a lot better. It also helped contained her mess (toys and food) and something I might just do it in general from now on. We brought our own anti bacterial wipes and cleaned everything a few times on the flight. They do give you ONE antibacterial wipes and ONE sachet of antibacterial gel in a bag. They don't want people waiting for toilets so ask that you wait until one is open - this was never an issue with about 5 toilets to 15 people. Unlike usual, people aren't walking up and down the aisles, they stayed seated. Staff were happy for us though to take baby to the back to rock to sleep and let her walk around in the back to burn off some energy.

Arrival: Disembarkation was supposed to be 5 at a time - largely due to the number of CDC staff doing checks I think. Instead, it was really just by class - first, etc. We came off almost last. You had to fill in papers for each person about your current health state (even baby needed her own). As soon as you came off the plane, CDC took the forms and took our temps (even baby who tried to take the thermometer from the nice man, but he didn't mind). We were told we were okay - handed a 'special' glossy leaflet paper that you needed to exit and 'advised' to self quarantine for 14 days, but the guy who handed it to us said -"it's just advice, you don't really have to". So, this is not strict like the UK.

Border: After the ground staff accidentally checked our pram in with the rest of the luggage rather than bringing it to the gate for us when we arrived, we had to carry baby to the border control. Luckily lines were okay - we waited maybe 5-10 minutes (we have a mix of passports and couldn't just use the machines alone). Everyone very pleasant and we were on our way.

Luggage and Customs: Luggage was out before we got there and went right through customs - no wait.

Hope that report helps some people who may have some anxiety about flying at the moment. In my honest opinion, apart from having to wear a mask for 15+ hours straight, this was the most pleasant and easiest flight experience I have ever had all around (and I have done more than 500k butt in seat miles in the past 10 years). All things considered and given the current circumstances- it was not bad at all.

Last edited by MadeInTheUSA; Jul 23, 2020 at 9:38 pm
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: Some
Want to know what it's like to fly on a BA flight with roughly the same number of crew as passengers? Read on!

I flew back from CFU on BA649 on Monday evening having caught the fairly busy first BA flight out on Friday. Check in was a breeze at CFU and there was no queue at either BA desk, the first sign this was going to be an unusual experience. Security was almost empty, but the family in front of me still managed to spend about 10 minutes completely unpacking and then repacking a full roll-aboard suitcase on the security belt, as you do in Greece.

I probably cleared security about 90 minutes before the flight, far too early given how empty CFU is right now in retrospect, but CFU at least has semi-decent facilities airside unlike some of the smaller Greek island airports. I grabbed a drink and waited, which gave me a chance to observe how other airlines are handling COVID-19. For example, Olympic Airways are taking the interesting boarding approach of all window seats first!

About 35 minutes before departure, I passed through passport control to the non-Schengen area where the BA boarding gate is. What greeted me was the below scene....

Yes, that is the entire boarding gate for an A321neo! 10 passengers on the flight including myself. Boarding began about 25 minutes before scheduled departure, rows 15-30 first and then 1-15 afterwards despite the very small number of passengers.

We walked outside and were then held just off the tarmac for a few minutes which completely defeated the object of the previous boarding process. I started to worry we were going to be bused to the aircraft despite it being less than 150 metres away (typical Fraport obsession with buses...), but fortunately it didn't happen!

Boarding complete was declared about 30 seconds after the first passenger was onboard. It was looking like this would be a pretty straight forward journey until the Captain then announced that the CFU luggage transporter had broken down in a tunnel with our flight's checked baggage on it!

Fortunately a fix was found about 5 minutes before scheduled departure which allowed us to push back roughly on time. There were 5 CE passengers and 5 ET passengers. All the CE passengers were sat at the front of the cabin and the couple across from me duly asked a crew member if they could move back given this wasn't exactly optimal social distancing, but due to A321neo () trim issues they were told they needed to stay seated there until after take off. CFU airport has a wonderful location with the runway overlooking the Ionian Sea.

We had a very short takeoff and then we were airborne. Bye CFU, see you very soon!

Service started with drinks and nuts. Pro tip: CFU has a Starbucks in the airside non-Schengen area, allowing you to procure ice for your flight

Band 4 CE catering is currently the choice of a coronation chicken sandwich or a vegetarian option. Hats off to Do&Co, the quality is still excellent. With zero exaggeration, the little Mexican bean, avocado and sour cream pot thingy is honestly tastier than most things I've eaten in BA F from non-Do&Co US outstations (I'm looking at you, IAD...)

As with my outbound flight, a lot of the little CE touches like antimacassars and the Aromatherapy Associates soaps in the CE bathroom seemed to have returned, which is great to see. The rest of the flight was relatively uneventful, beyond being plied with liberal amounts of alcohol by the crew. We got a nice routing over the Alps with some great views.

Before long we were on final approach to LHR, flying past the rather sad "Marche au supplice"

Somehow we ended up at a B Gate, at which point I confess I probably got a little bit grumpy. I managed to time it perfectly at least and walked onto the transporter to passport control about 5 seconds before the doors closed. There was no queue at immigration and I was probably back to landside within about 15 minutes of landing. Somehow, baggage was already starting to appear on the belt as I arrived which was impressive to say the least. Overall a great flight experience despite COVID-19. If only every flight was so easy!
Prospero, DYKWIA, VSLover and 11 others like this.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Jul 23, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:44 pm

Flew LHR-MXP yesterday here are my views.

LHR is fairly well organised, there’s hand sanitizer everywhere, including wipes and mask dispensers on the entrance tunnels as the great c-w-s said.

Zone H check in was quite quick, temp check and I was given a form for Italy as that was my destination. Bag drop, security were all good and staff was very professional and nice. Not all of them wore masks but don’t even know if they should; 99.9% of passengers wore them.

Airside I bumped in a bunch of BA suits I knew, including a friend who looks after lounges; they are reviewing the proposition as passenger numbers are increasing (>10k yesterday or so he said) and they want to maintain safety.

T5A was busier than I thought; some shops were open, with queues at Pret (but not the one by the domestics). Did a brief walk to T5B to think at the old days and was saddened by how quiet it was: only a flight to SFO boarding a few passengers. A lot of shiny new airplanes though!

Boarding for MXP was done as per the now familiar concept of back to front, much to the annoyance of some FQTVs. Bit of a faff with the self certification modules that half the people hadn’t filled in, but we left early. Approx. 80% full; I never saw such a clean A319. Scratch that, I never saw a clean A319.

Great service onboard, Mixed Fleet crew who were on the ball; cleaning pack, crisps, water and cookies served. The plane had wifi but not the instructions card although I do feel bad about the amount of plastic used.

MXP was fairly empty in the extra-Schengen arrivals, only us and a TK 321. TK evidently hadn’t given the self certification out so people had to fill it in, which was a bit chaotic, although they had divided the corridors in two sides, one for those who needed it and one for those who did not, with police officers patrolling the queues. Not much of social distancing but everyone wore masks (same for shops: everyone seems to be wearing them here). I just don’t think this concept can be scaled up much, unless they reimagine spaces in arrivals. Anyway, e-gates closed (good, SEA chose some very slow ones in my view) and, a true first in my life as an MXP user, bags on the carousel.

two words of caution on MXP: hand sanitiser dispensers aren’t ubiquitous, but once you know where to find them they are fairly well placed; they are a remote control thingy which doesn’t work in the best of ways. And the usual preferred car park for AVIS is still shut: you have to go into the main office.

Last edited by 13901; Jul 24, 2020 at 1:48 am
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, BA Gold
I have been flying regularly through the pandemic, this has in part been made possible by the Flyertalk hive mind, so thank you to all those who contribute particularly those on the BA and TK forums. My thoughts on recent experiences.

April, May were hugely depressing times to fly, terminals were dull, and very quiet. Catering on board and on the ground was very limited or non existent. I have now eaten my way through the full range of snacks available in Boots and WH Smith. Good to see that Gucci, Hermes and others battled to reopen as soon as possible after the peak of the pandemic to keep offering the essentials to the flying public, shame the food outlets couldn't do the same.

My schedule got busier in June/July as more countries opened up, I have found passenger numbers rising but only outbound from LHR, inbound flights are still quite empty. From chatting with other passengers this seems to be families going home for the long summer break or just people relocating to a preferred location after lockdown. As regards business travellers on board numbers still seem to be limited but growing. For a while I did see the same people quite regularly on board and in the terminals (Most of my flights are short haul in Europe with BA/LH/OS/LX/TK, and maybe once a month long haul transatlantic with BA).

Terminals have been - mostly - well organised, I'm particularly impressed with what has happened in the walkways below T5 (I think its great to get off a plane and have a long walk in spendid islation down a lovely cool corridor, particularly if you arrive at the C Gates). The jump in passengers at the end of "term" seems to have surprised HAL and I agree with those on here who said it was chaotic. Speaking with BA and HAL staff it appears that not enough of either companies people were unfurloughed in sufficient time to be reinducted properly, and many did not pay attention to briefings about changing entry regulations (i,.e temp checks etc), a few just did not do what they should have done (reverting to what they did previously), and as a result lots of non compliance with these new checks which is a concern.

The impressive temperature checking camera set up in T5 check in has not been staffed at any point when I have come through, the last time I was advised to go and get a coffee and come back to check in later (the operator was not on shift until 0830 that day).

I haven't missed the fight for overhead baggage space, and I also haven't had to wait for baggage for longer than 5 mins (maybe due to the numbers flying?) and I like the new boarding set up, right now I don't want to spend any more time on board than I have to.

The lounge set up in T5 has been very well organised, It's so much better than the way things have been done in T5 than some of the partner lounges, particularly in IST, where everything but everything comes wrapped in plastic. The staff in T5 lounges are all pleased to be back and are as good and helpful as ever.

Cabin and Air Crew have all been great, I hope BA find a solution that keeps the experienced staff, who for me, really make the airline what it is. The food on board is not great (beetroot sandwich anyone?) but I guess better than nothing. Aircraft have all been super clean (mostly brand new A321neo). The flights have all been astonishingly fast, landing early on every occassion.

Would I recomend to my family and friends that its safe to fly? I'm not sure. The airlines and terminals have done everything they can, but there are an awful lot of people who don't give a stuff about personal space and social distancing, countries are also finding that COVID test certificate fraud is now a thing. For those reasons I probably wouldn't fly right now if I didn't have to. Hotels at all price levels are also now pretty strange places, lots of restrictions and cuts (because COVID). We have holiday flights to ANU booked for next year so I am hopefull things will return to normal in due course.

If you do need or want to fly, I would suggest you bring a sense of humour, patience, a healthy supply of food, wet wipes, some masks and a bottle of hand gel. Above all manage your expectations. Things won't be like they used to be for quite a while and its no use railing at staff on the frontline about the many understandable frustrations that we all have to deal with.
Prospero, our_kid, IMH and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Originally Posted by Armadilleau
I haven't missed the fight for overhead baggage space, and I also haven't had to wait for baggage for longer than 5 mins (maybe due to the numbers flying?) and I like the new boarding set up, right now I don't want to spend any more time on board than I have to.
I completely agree with this - it's quite a relaxing experience to be sat in the front row and board last without any worries. I think I'll continue with that and forget about priority boarding in the future. I've also checked in luggage for the first time in years and was very pleasantly surprised at waiting no more than a couple of minutes at both ends!

I noticed that the FAQ on BA's page was updated with a question along the lines of "Won't all the CE overhead bins be full by the time I board last?" and a response that they are keeping the overheads closed above CE - that's certainly something that I've seen as well, and seems to work very well.
Armadilleau likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Armadilleau
I have been flying regularly through the pandemic, this has in part been made possible by the Flyertalk hive mind, so thank you to all those who contribute particularly those on the BA and TK forums. My thoughts on recent experiences.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here, and I hope you will continue to contribute. I certainly agree with you that the new boarding process is a revelation, I'm sure it is faster than Priority Boarding systems, so if that is a permanent change I would be all for it. Welcome again.
Armadilleau likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lewincg
I noticed that the FAQ on BA's page was updated with a question along the lines of "Won't all the CE overhead bins be full by the time I board last?" and a response that they are keeping the overheads closed above CE - that's certainly something that I've seen as well, and seems to work very well.
The other factor that those who board first, going to the back of the aircraft, know for sure there will be plenty of space so they normally take all of their bags straight to the back. When, previously, they boarded last, they'd enter the aircraft and see the overheads 90% full over CE and start to look for gaps in the 10%. Loading bags from the back to the front of the aircraft means you cut out the counterflows of people in the aisle.
poplarflyer, ENTP and Armadilleau like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
The other factor that those who board first, going to the back of the aircraft, know for sure there will be plenty of space so they normally take all of their bags straight to the back. When, previously, they boarded last, they'd enter the aircraft and see the overheads 90% full over CE and start to look for gaps in the 10%. Loading bags from the back to the front of the aircraft means you cut out the counterflows of people in the aisle.
Yes - that's a very good point, it's obviously working very well and quite intuitively for most I'd think.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
great reports above, thank you!

i have always preferred boarding last prior to this when in CE (and as fast as possible on CW or F to get those PDBs lol), but the worry about overhead space is why i always did check my bag anyhow, but would still be annoying to find space for my small carry on bag.

when AA introduced their premium transcon product, i was so amazed they put labels in the overhead bins saying they were for J or F passengers...and they always seemed to scare enough people off.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Flew EDI - LHR today on the 1735 flight ( the last flight of the day !)

Nothing major to note except the new(?) 60 minute bag drop limit at Edinburgh which we missed by about 3 minutes ( along with some other passengers ) .. quite bizarre given the airport was pretty quiet and i was assuming it was still 45 minutes as for most other short haul routes .... Anyway with some minor bad grace a call was made upstairs, the flight was reopened and the bags were checked and everyone and their bags easily made the flight of course

A few things open airside at EDI, .. retail wise Duty Free and JDSports(!) I noticed .. Food wise Pret was closed as was the Champagne bar by the BA gate but Costa is available ( take out only )

Flight was probably around half full this afternoon

On arrival in LHR again half the Zipcar fleet appears to be currently parked in T5 which is great as normally the later it gets in the day the less likely you are to find a car

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.