Options for rescheduling AMEX 241 bookings

Old Jul 13, 20, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, KLM
Options for rescheduling AMEX 241 bookings

I have been having a conversation with one of the BA Agents about rescheduling my August Avios / AMEX flights to the USA, which may well be cancelled anyway. They said i had 3 options listed below:

You have 3 options:
1. You can change for a fee of £35.00 per person plus any difference in price. You need to change at least 24 hours before departure and travel must begin within the 12 months of the purchase date or before the Amex Voucher expires (whichever is sooner).

2. You can cancel up to 24 hours before departure. The Avios/Voucher will be refunded and the money will be refunded less £35.00 cancellation fee per person. The Amex voucher will be extended by 6 months and this must be done at least 24 hours before departure.

3. You can exchange for a Future Travel Voucher. This essentially keeps everything you have on "hold" to be used towards a new Reward booking. You'll have until 30 April 2022 to book and complete travel regardless of the Companion Expiry date. This must be done at least 1 hour before departure. There's no fees and when you rebook Reward seats must be available and we'll charge any price difference

Option 3 seems too good to be true compared to 1 and 2. I don't want to get the tax and Avios back if BA cancel, as I prefer the 2 x First Class Returns!

Has anybody done option 3 yet? My Companion voucher expires in October, which would extend by 6 months in option 2, but option 3 would give me an additional 18 months of voucher life.
Old Jul 13, 20, 8:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The main advantage of option 3 as you note is no cancellation fees and the 241 is kept live regardless of the original expiry date until April 2022. You will need reward availability when you come to rebook.

If your flight is cancelled you can do 1 & 2 without any fee as well of course. Also 3 could be an option again if expiry of the 241 is an issue if you were to refund the booking.
T8191 and Emma Vallintine like this.
Old Jul 13, 20, 9:20 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
I have a similar situation with a booking in October using Avios and the Travel Together (2-4-1) Voucher from my Chase BA Visa. Do you know if the above options are available? I would like to take advantage of Option 3 because of the expiry date of April 2022.
Old Jul 13, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I used option 3 today, to extend a voucher for a trip to be used after expiry, a very easy process.
Old Jul 13, 20, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by geezersrule View Post
I have a similar situation with a booking in October using Avios and the Travel Together (2-4-1) Voucher from my Chase BA Visa. Do you know if the above options are available? I would like to take advantage of Option 3 because of the expiry date of April 2022.
Option 3 is the same as the advice given in the thread you started yesterday. It is still available.
Old Jul 13, 20, 10:31 am

if someone chooses Option 3------------------with the extended Expiry Date of April 2022 for the 2 for 1 Voucher----does any New Booking need to be the
identical routing as the old booking?----or can a new routing be arranged subject to availability?
Old Jul 13, 20, 10:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
if someone chooses Option 3------------------with the extended Expiry Date of April 2022 for the 2 for 1 Voucher----does any New Booking need to be the
identical routing as the old booking?----or can a new routing be arranged subject to availability?
any exUK/JER BA route will be fine. effectively you have a pool of avios, cash (taxes, fees, charges) and a 241 to spend on your new booking.
Old Jul 13, 20, 11:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by geezersrule View Post
If you booked before March 3rd, you are not eligible
for a FTV on a booking after August 31st.

For now your option is to cancel the booking for £35pp ($ equivalent). Or wait: BA may well extend the voucher policy to your travel dates, or cancel your flights which gets you free cancellation.
Old Jul 13, 20, 11:45 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
My 241 flight to SIN was recently cancelled (in F).

I was able to change it or claim a voucher.

I changed it to a date in April 2021, seemingly there did not need to be a requirement for reward seats to be available, which is fantastic. I had rang up several days earlier before it was cancelled and spent 20mins on the phone with the agent trying to find me F reward seats, so holding out for the cancellation was the right option for me.

I presume that this change of date will hold...
Old Jul 13, 20, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Question

Originally Posted by Complextable View Post
My 241 flight to SIN was recently cancelled (in F).
I changed it to a date in April 2021, seemingly there did not need to be a requirement for reward seats to be available, which is fantastic.
But was this within your ticket validity - i.e. did you book originally on or after April 2020?
Old Jul 13, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Plenty of folk around here have taken Option 3 - and itís widely discussed in the voucher / cancellation / various 2-4-1 threads
Old Jul 13, 20, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA (Gold)
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
But was this within your ticket validity - i.e. did you book originally on or after April 2020?
Original flight was booked October 2019.

Rebooked for 25th March , Returning mid April
Old Jul 13, 20, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Complextable View Post
Original flight was booked October 2019.
Rebooked for 25th March , Returning mid April
This implies that BA have changed their approach to only allowing a cancelled reward flight to be rebooked within ticket validity without there being reward availability,
I'm the lucky holder of a 2-4-1 LHR>SYD in J booked in Dec 2019 for a flight departing in late October 2020. When they cancel (as they inevitably will) am I going to be able to rebook without there being reward availability for Feb/Mar 2021?
Old Jul 13, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Yes you are - if BA cancel it’s in the Coronavirus rebooking conditions - third amendment late April covered redemption as well as cash bookings. I benefited from a F redemption which I’ve moved to Xmas New Year
Old Jul 13, 20, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Yes you are - if BA cancel itís in the Coronavirus rebooking conditions - third amendment late April covered redemption as well as cash bookings. I benefited from a F redemption which Iíve moved to Xmas New Year
Yes but the guidelines say you can rebook only within ticket validity and certainly some have been held to that restriction. Someone here has managed to rebook beyond the ticketís one year but itís not clear if thatís a fluke or exception or new policy (the written guidelines havenít changed).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: