Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with BA32 F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by sixcolours
Qatar departing from LHR are subject to different laws than BA departing LHR?
Yes, the aircrafts country of registration defines the applicable law.
stewardo likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I would say there are 2 things peculiar things in the original post:

a) that BA hides behind Government guidelines to serve such a non-sense food offering and we all know it's cost cutting

b) that OP has a BA Gold card and then complains that he has to 'wait for 5 hours in an uncomfortable gate chair - I think BA Gold holders should be able to read the news at least or have the ability to manage expectations during a worldwide pandemic.
I find it interesting that I get repeatedly attacked because I was badly managing my expectations, rather than about the hard facts (no pun intended). But this is BA forum after all.

I apologize to all if my back pains made my post a bit excessive. I feel that BA could have handled better the few revenue F pax that transit in LHR, but maybe I am wrong.
Having had three return Asia-EU trips since February (when Covid was peaking in China), I have been surprised by the experience compared to its competitors.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
rather than about the hard facts (no pun intended).
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sixcolours
The mental agility required to defend BA here is rather remarkable to me...
Rather than defending BA all I see are posters stating facts about the service changes currently in force. Changes that can easily be found on the BA website for customers to see. So it's not as if they're trying to hide them. If other airlines are able to offer a better service on the route then I suspect it's not a direct flight which isn't a like for like comparison.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I do not understand why anyone is defending BA here.

That food was an insult. So was the wine.

I could go out tomorrow and buy better than that, easily served, for about UKP10.
Dave_C, wrp96 and DelTroon like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Rather than defending BA all I see are posters stating facts about the service changes currently in force. Changes that can easily be found on the BA website for customers to see. So it's not as if they're trying to hide them. If other airlines are able to offer a better service on the route then I suspect it's not a direct flight which isn't a like for like comparison.
But neither was HKG-NCE a direct routing for the OP.
For that routing it was always going to be indirect.
The way I read it is they did they homework pre travel to familiarise themselves with what the BA F service expectation might look like and felt that they would somehow be able to defy it and enhance it by blagging Flounge chairs for a bad back..... And it didn't pay off.... So a certain amount of sour grapes and clutching at straws. Honestly if F service and lounges are so important then why weren't they flying on Emirates from the get go? They had an opportunity to cancel the BA option when the original LHR-NCE cancelled resulting in a 5hr connection but chose not to. Perhaps the EC261 possibilities and potential service recovery to a GCH with a bad back for a journey doomed before it even began looked sweeter than any F product EK could provide...... But that's all subjective and of course people are going to view it differently.
​​​
GumshoeW12 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Rather than defending BA all I see are posters stating facts about the service changes currently in force. Changes that can easily be found on the BA website for customers to see. So it's not as if they're trying to hide them
What does the website say about changes to the F catering offering, exactly ?
SW7London likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Yes, it is. It says:

Reduce on-board service to the minimum necessary to ensure comfort and wellbeing of passengers and limit the contact between crew members and passengers.
  • reduce the food and drink service
  • use pre-packaged and sealed food and drink products

I’m not disputing that that’s not open to interpretation, nor the suggestion that BA has taken the opportunity to cut costs.
But when the guidance clearly calls for food and drink service to be reduced, it is ludicrous to expect BA to offer the normal F service, as the poster I was replying to appears to on the grounds that LH is.
The guidance does no such thing. Leaving out the pertinent words to suit ones own position is not legally sound.

The only absolute in the guidance quoted above is that "passengers must wear a face covering." This is the only none-negotiable.
The rest calls for the airline to consider it. BA could "consider" it and on being pressed for why they have not reduced the service respond with "We considered it, and decided that the minimal benefit in the reduction of the risk of transmission was not worth the brand damage caused by offering such a pitiful product."

Alternatively, they could (and have it seems) considered it and decided that their DNA should never let a good pandemic go to waste.

Most laws in the UK are equally vague with very few absolutes. Until case law is established, the definition of what is reasonable remains open to interpretation, which most companies do in reducing their cost base.
happeemonkee, wrp96 and DelTroon like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
What does the website say about changes to the F catering offering, exactly ?
The BA website states the following in connection with First catering:

START

From 16 June, we will be offering a bar service with a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. The alcoholic drinks will be served either as miniatures or individual quarter bottles. Dining on board is enhanced to offer an a la carte menu with safely pre-packaged options, offering a range of hot and cold items. Our cabin crew will be able to provide you with details of choices available and any allergen advice. Any changes will be published on this page.

STOP

Link here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-faqs#onboard

Doc Copper
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Even AA is offering better food in J transatlantic to/from LHR than the F meal the OP received on HKG-LHR.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
They had an opportunity to cancel the BA option when the original LHR-NCE cancelled resulting in a 5hr connection but chose not to.
​​​
This is the part that I would be upset about if I had a pre-COVID F ticket and wasn't lucky enough (!) to have one of my flights cancelled. Drastically cutting back the experience/product without offering the ability to get a refund (knowing that your experience is going to be significantly different to what was marketed when you made the purchase) doesn't seem very fair.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by absoluy
...doesn't seem very fair.
The effects of Covid are not particularly fair to consumers or companies. I wold pose this question instead: "Is it reasonable given the circumstances?" With the exception perhaps of the quality of the food/presentation I'd say it probably is.
crazyarmadillo and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by A P Yu
The laws for Qatar are different to the laws for BA. There is no global law or rule at play here.
Which 'laws' are these?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by golfmad
The effects of Covid are not particularly fair to consumers or companies. I wold pose this question instead: "Is it reasonable given the circumstances?" With the exception perhaps of the quality of the food/presentation I'd say it probably is.
I'd go a little further and say "is it reasonable, and am I being told about the (non-)service provision in advance"? Which was the case here since the OP was quite rightly asking about this in FT before travel, along with the emails he should have had from BA. The mystery is why he didn't seek a refund / rebook given there were alternative carriers.
albpenny likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Is it reasonable not to offer a refund when you're unable to provide the product/service as originally marketed? I would say "no". If a refund was possible (without a schedule change happening) then I would say it is indeed a very reasonable approach.

In my mind, arriving someplace a few hours later than scheduled is just as "disruptive" as not getting to enjoy the lounges, food and drinks that I expected based on how the product was marketed for my $5k++ ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.