Wiki Posts
Search

Prices to Malta in September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Prices to Malta in September

Just having a look at Malta for early September and the prices are ridiculously expensive.

On 3rd, ET is sold out and only 3 stupidly priced CE seats are left. Even the week after when the flights return to LGW, only the Y bucket is open. Then all of a sudden from mid Sept the prices drop down to normal levels (~£60 one way).

What’s happening to drive prices so high even when it returns to LGW? This isn’t happening on any other route and it’s literally only for the first 2 weeks of Sept.
Moleish likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

School holidays and then the end of them! There is a lot of pent up desire to escape the UK and that’s driving prices to accessible short haul destinations.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
There are some big music festivals taking place in Malta the first 2 weekends in September too. Given it is one of the only places hosting this kind of thing I'm not surprised if the limited flights are already getting full

https://www.festicket.com/countries/malta/
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I was looking at JER-LGW-MLA a couple of days ago for October. Prices much the same as 'usual' (maybe £100 more for 2 in CE) so I guess the OP has hit a 'hot-spot', as already noted.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:43 am

BA is going for yield rather than volume on the few summer holiday routes they’re running. Get revenue in while keeping costs under strict control. Not sure it’s the wisest of strategies when there’s clearly volume to be had, but it’s the horse they’ve picked.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. I guess them 2 weeks must be very popular. I wonder why BA didn’t run more than 2 flights a week from LHR.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Thank you all for your comments. I guess them 2 weeks must be very popular. I wonder why BA didn’t run more than 2 flights a week from LHR.
More profitable to run 1 flight and to fill it at £300 a seat than 3 flights at £100/seat.
Deckter, T8191 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The marginal pax yield the least profit.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since BA reintroduced MLA in 2014, its always seemed to be to be a bit of an unwanted child! Yes, it clearly makes money with the daily rotation, but at random times to fit in with the rest of BA’s schedules. And some timings are really quite horrible/inconvenient. I doubt that even at peak times BA would wish to (or indeed could) add another rotation.

“A Tale of Two Cities” - BA in CE, JER-LGW-MLA ... and subsequent TRs!
ENTP likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Confirmed
Once a crew member hand drawn a very nice map of Malta for me when we had a chat in F. She marked all her favourite places to see, eat and drink when I told her that I fancied to go for a holiday. I haven't got the change to go there yet but I am still keeping that map.
A ba/welldone sent and got confirmation that she has been praised by her manager. My best memory on BA.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Just having a look at Malta for early September and the prices are ridiculously expensive.

On 3rd, ET is sold out and only 3 stupidly priced CE seats are left. Even the week after when the flights return to LGW, only the Y bucket is open. Then all of a sudden from mid Sept the prices drop down to normal levels (~£60 one way).

What’s happening to drive prices so high even when it returns to LGW? This isn’t happening on any other route and it’s literally only for the first 2 weeks of Sept.
Sounds like they are playing with demand tolerance to see who would actually buy at a high price, and may add on flights cheaper closer to the date. If you really want to go, do you mind flying with a connection? Either wait till a few weeks before you go knowing the prices probably won't go up anymore, or book an alternative option.

This seems to be the case for many BA flights to popular destinations.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:03 am
Original Poster

I would have thought Malta would have done well for BA. I don’t think the times can be used to assess whether a route is profitable or not. It simply could be that BA doesn’t get much connecting traffic, so 6am flights are fine.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:12 pm

I would have thought Malta would have done well for BA. I don’t think the times can be used to assess whether a route is profitable or not. It simply could be that BA doesn’t get much connecting traffic, so 6am flights are fine.
Yep, same with BOD, which has been at stupid o’clock for as long as I can remember.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
It's a pity MLA is not opened up in August as I sure there would be demand (well from me at any rate )
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, we've booked! Much weirdness using Matrix, with some cheap LHR-MLA options routing via ZRH (Swiss) and returning via FRA (Lufty). £653 for 2 pax in J is CHEEEP.

Matrix/BA was giving odd results yesterday (31 July) for JER-LHR-MLA. Searched Y at 1546, which put one pax in J (?) for £1,189. At 1554, refreshed result was both in Y for £877. This morning (1 August) same search (and same flights) was £557.

We pulled the trigger an hour ago with BA on-line. 10-17 Sep, In J all the way for £765, using 72.4k of our Avios mountain (base price was £1125, £28 cheaper than the Matrix quote! Now to wait and see if it all sticks, we can work out the various UK, MT and JE medical/tracing forms, and pray that MT doesn't get a major outbreak of C-19 caused by parties, mass events and illegal immigrants!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.