Are BA managing demand well?

Old Jul 12, 20, 6:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 727
Are BA managing demand well?

Before I start I get that demand is obviously down and there is no reason for BA to be running the full re-covid timetable to areas that are open but:

I had cause to travel to London from the Scottish highlands and am returning tonight.
I would ordinarily travel ABZ or INV to LHR the distance to both airports is identical. However given the policy of not currently providing night stop services, there is no early flights or late returns. Further more the prices are considerably higher then pre-covid, £300 return on my days in question even though this was booked two weeks out, with the added cost of having to book extra hotel nights in order to be in London for full days.
Given this, my travel on this trip is on the Sleeper train service which came in at £150 return with the added benefit of a private compartment and not needing to be near anyone.

As a data point - I boarded at Aviemore (my nearest station) but the train starts at Inverness where most people get on. Speaking to people on the platform as we waited for our train. 4 of the 6 people that boarded at Aviemore did as I had done due to price and timings but would ordinarily fly. These people, as I, would have happily used BA for their trips of the times were better and prices cheaper. Also speaking to the host on the train, the train was full. This lead me to wonder;

At which point does the reduction of the BA services due to lack of demand become a self for-filling prophecy? Where services are reduced due to a lack of demand which leads to less flexibility and so fewer people traveling with BA and using other provider/modes, should BA be doing more, have they cut too much, should night stop services be re-introduced?
Akoz is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 7:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,089
I would agree, no services to Frankfurt this month, whilst LH running 3 daily on most days and FR flying 5 weekly. Perhaps the lack of USA connecitvity is causing BA to lose a lot of its SH passengers from mainland Europe, well enough of them to stop flying this key route.
ahmetdouas likes this.
BERbound is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 8:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver)
Posts: 3,986
Originally Posted by BERbound View Post
I would agree, no services to Frankfurt this month, whilst LH running 3 daily on most days and FR flying 5 weekly. Perhaps the lack of USA connecitvity is causing BA to lose a lot of its SH passengers from mainland Europe, well enough of them to stop flying this key route.
Agreed. I am surprised with BA's lack of options for European travel.
adrianlondon likes this.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 8:22 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 49,361
The days of multiple carriers (or modes, in the case of rail) covering the same routes with the same frequencies are likely gone or gone for the next 2-3 years. I would expect higher fares and fewer frequencies. That, of course, translates into even higher costs as what were day trips now require hotels and so on.

Further eating into demand is that base business travel -- the core of profitability -- now defaults to video conference whenever possible, thus even further depleting the high-PRASM loads which are the bread and butter.
bisonrav likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 8:32 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London
Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Posts: 2,872
I'm doing Akoz's journey in reverse in early August (London to Aviemore) and was taken aback by the options and how cheap everything was. Avios availability on almost every of the 10 weekly INV flights (cash prices decent) , Easyjet less than £30 for every flight, and was quite keen to try the new sleeper trains (I didn't check ABZ as finishing journey by train).

I just assume that in July that BA will inevitably get things wrong as they struggle to get staff back, planes back from hibernation and destinations up and running - without connections INV is perhaps just not profitable? (guesswork based on how situation appears the opposite in August!!).
Sam Bee is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 9:02 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,353
I do think the supply from BA is a bit low, but that allows them to get really full flights and high yields.

When looking at flights for this summer, especially now that LGW short haul is at LHR, prices are eye watering. Thereís not many deals to be had, even though some said travel companies would be flogging last minute deals.
BAeuro is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 10:47 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Posts: 1,548
I think itís understandable (although maybe frustrating for us) that BA are being cautious in opening up more routes and increasing frequencies. They wonít want to tip into unprofitability by expanding too quickly.

Another point I think is worth remembering is that BA doesnít Ďhaveí to fly anywhere. As consumers we will have to re-align ourselves to the new reality for the foreseeable future.
krispy84 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 11:00 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 706
I'm doing occasional long weekends in London from Switzerland. I'm currently flying Easyjet as they have evening flights back from London, rather than demanding I get to LHR for an 8:30am flight.

Also, the Easyjet booking system very clearly shows which days they have flights. The BA system shows the month pop-up with every day available, only to then tell me they're not flying that day. Plus the usual BA rubbish where you change the return date and the website pauses for ages, then says it has to re-price the outbound flight and takes me back to the outbound where, no surprise, the price hasn't actually changed.
EuropeanPete, jonkx and EDDLEGLL like this.
adrianlondon is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 11:05 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by adrianlondon View Post
I'm doing occasional long weekends in London from Switzerland. I'm currently flying Easyjet as they have evening flights back from London, rather than demanding I get to LHR for an 8:30am flight.

Also, the Easyjet booking system very clearly shows which days they have flights. The BA system shows the month pop-up with every day available, only to then tell me they're not flying that day. Plus the usual BA rubbish where you change the return date and the website pauses for ages, then says it has to re-price the outbound flight and takes me back to the outbound where, no surprise, the price hasn't actually changed.
You can try using the BA timetable before you search for flights. Itís very clear and shows what days/times flights are running.
adrianlondon likes this.
BAeuro is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 11:30 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 108
I share adrianlondonís frustration and donít think that the timetable is helpful or accurate here either.

Take LHR-DUS on 16 July for example - the timetable shows 2 flights, but the booking system has never shown BA944; Flightradar24 and EF also confirm that the 944 will only resume on 19 July.
EuropeanPete likes this.
EDDLEGLL is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 1:38 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver)
Posts: 3,986
Even jetset heavy JMK is really low with like 30% frequency as per normal and the few flights they actually have are really expensive. Too much risk for me, I booked Swiss via GVA/ZRH. EasyJet are probably even less reliable than BA are.


not everyone cares about a refund, some ppl actually want to get there on the day they planned to!
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 1:47 pm
  #12  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,688
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL View Post
I share adrianlondonís frustration and donít think that the timetable is helpful or accurate here either.

Take LHR-DUS on 16 July for example - the timetable shows 2 flights, but the booking system has never shown BA944; Flightradar24 and EF also confirm that the 944 will only resume on 19 July.
I'm only seeing the one flight on BA Timetables:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_gb

corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 1:59 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I'm only seeing the one flight on BA Timetables:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_gb
Interesting, thank you for sharing that link. The BA timetable I was using looks like this:


EDIT: I just realised that Iím still getting this wrong timetable when following your link on my phone. Maybe itís an issue with the mobile version...

Iím desperate for the later flights to resume (not just DUS but for many EU destinations likewise) !
adrianlondon likes this.
EDDLEGLL is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 2:07 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Even jetset heavy JMK is really low with like 30% frequency as per normal and the few flights they actually have are really expensive. Too much risk for me, I booked Swiss via GVA/ZRH. EasyJet are probably even less reliable than BA are.


not everyone cares about a refund, some ppl actually want to get there on the day they planned to!
You wouldíve thought that theyíd have retained some BACF flights to Greece.
FlyerTalker39574 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 20, 2:17 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL View Post
Interesting, thank you for sharing that link. The BA timetable I was using looks like this:


EDIT: I just realised that Iím still getting this wrong timetable when following your link on my phone. Maybe itís an issue with the mobile version...

Iím desperate for the later flights to resume (not just DUS but for many EU destinations likewise) !
The mobile version doesnít work too well. If you turn your phone horizontally, then you should see the full timetable.

If you want to keep it vertically, like your screenshot, then you can still see the flights, itís just harder. So for the date you put in, flights with the Ďblue i dotí in the right corner are the ones that are running on that day.
adrianlondon and EDDLEGLL like this.
BAeuro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: