Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR and JL moving to T5 [w/c 27 July 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

QR and JL moving to T5 [w/c 27 July 2020]

QR should start operating from T5 on 21 July not confirmed for but 100% DNata ( ground handler already had tour at T5 baggade system)

Good for oneworld connections and I think it will be till they will open T4 again....
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
If Qatar (and the rest of these airlines) stay in T5 until T4 opens then I don’t see how there will be room for all of BA’s operations. If T4 is pencilled to reopen for S21, will T5 be able to handle BA/IB/AA/AY/QR/VY until then? Especially if the 80/20 rule comes back into play in W20.

Surely BA should be more interested in their passengers and their flights, offering a bit more room in the terminal/lounges with less flights running from T5.

Unless of course BA know they won’t be running much of a long haul schedule till S21.

Last edited by BAeuro; Jul 11, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

China Southern (CZ) it's also moving to T5 but I dont know date now....
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: Some
If things get that busy (and that’s a huge if right now), I imagine BA would opt to kick QR and AY out to T2/T3 (and then AA too if it’s really needed), no?

Personally, given how exposed BA is to the US market on longhaul I think it’s going to be a long time before this is more than a theoretical issue for BA.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Garimi
Oh for goodness sake... (thanks for the information though)

Maybe I’m too patriotic but I thought this was meant to be the BA terminal, now it’s got more variety than a pick or mix stand
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Garimi
My guess was right in the other thread then
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:39 pm

Thresholds have already been agreed with HAL, for the movement of the other airlines out of T5.

Various permutations based on what time of day the stands are required by BA, which will determine the airlines that move out.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
In the short term, this is in BA’s interest as the cost of running T5 will now be shared.
Dambus and Solejet6 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is this happening because T2 is getting too full?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Is this happening because T2 is getting too full?
I somehow doubt it that T2 is getting full (it's meant to be capable of handling between 10 and 20 million passengers, and in May HAL moved 228,000 passengers as per the CAA, which is what they used to do in a couple of days in more normal times); I guess it's more a case of sharing loads between terminals. The way I see it, it's also an indication that this situation will not change shortly. Mothballing a terminal - two actually - and moving airlines to another CUTE terminal is a big thing, but can be done almost overnight; moving them to T5, with the implications in terms of kit and accesses (it's not just about the gates) means a level of investment that, I'm sure, HAL and the AOC would've avoided if it wasn't something they expected to need for months on end. It's impossible to say right now, but if I were to be a betting man I'd say that T5 will remain a multi-terminal operation until the end of the year. I don't see BA putting back in enough capacity to be filling T5 by itself before 2021.

Would be super-happy to be proven wrong though.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by BAeuro
If Qatar (and the rest of these airlines) stay in T5 until T4 opens then I don’t see how there will be room for all of BA’s operations. If T4 is pencilled to reopen for S21, will T5 be able to handle BA/IB/AA/AY/QR/VY until then? Especially if the 80/20 rule comes back into play in W20.
Theres room because BAs operation is going to be at least 20-25% smaller. AAs is also years away from the 20+ departures it used to operate.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:55 am

Transport bosses are getting the heads up about things going on well ahead of it becoming general knowledge or even widespread speculation. With the moves that Airlines and even local transport operators make, you can read between the lines and form conclusions with whats ahead. The US are in no rush to open their border either it seems.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think a good additional dose of realism is needed here. There is no prospect whatsoever of BA running enough of a schedule to use T5's full capacity (even without their T3 flights) in the next few months let alone weeks, and this simply mirrors the situation of airlines throughout the continent and world.

Virtually all primary and secondary multi-terminal airports have terminals closed at the moment, and several cities with multiple airports have had some of those airports entirely closed. This is because it makes no sense to have, say, 4 terminals running at 40% of their capacity each when you can regroup in 2 terminals running at 80% of their capacity instead.

In other words, I think that it is fair to say that the move suggests that BA+IB+AA+QR, etc (S20) < 60-70% of BA (pre-Covid crisis) and the same in W21.

I have no idea how much lower than 60-70% but under 50% is not even unlikely. My guess is that if in S21, all of those airlines combined managed to reach, say 80% of BA's normal offer, they will consider that the recovery is speedier than they feared. After all, multiple airlines have already stated that they do not expect returning to pre-covid flying levels until 2022 or 2023 depending on how optimistic those various airlines are.

I think that at this stage, it is in BA's interest to try and actively invite partners with whom they have joint interests, ie connections (that will reduce the cost of connections for both airlines), likelihood that they will pay for lounge use, etc. If this is not enough, it is quite possible that they will be asked for T5 to host more random partners. The worst case scenario from BA's point of view is probably Government mandatorily closing one or two of the three main London airports on the back of a hypothetical major new wave + environmental concerns and BA and U2 or BA and FR having to share the same grounds. I don't think it is very likely, certainly not imminently, but I would not call it impossible either, especially if a new wave coincides with a no deal Brexit and the EU ends up restricting arrivals from the UK as they do for all but 14 non-EU+ countries from January.

So all in all, given uncertainty about the future, I'd say that from BA's point of view, those airlines arriving into T5 and based on agreed/negotiated terms is actually a really good thing given the circumstances.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Well I hope they confine QR passengers to a Terraces lounge in T5A or send them to the T5B lounge. Always grated with me that QR treat OW Emerald and Sapphire pax badly at their home airport (in Qatar) with the pathetic excuse for a "First Class Lounge" that is far removed from the lounges they offer their own premium passengers.
justin_krusty and SkyTeem like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Always grated with me that QR treat OW Emerald and Sapphire pax badly at their home airport (in Qatar) with the pathetic excuse for a "First Class Lounge" that is far removed from the lounges they offer their own premium passengers.
Because of course BA would never do that ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.