Usual seating issue

Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Usual seating issue

In early June we decided to jump on an itinerary over Easter for just over £1k each which had us routing SOF LHR CLT MCO, MSY PHL LHR SOF

There are 4 adults and 2 kids. The booking was made with AA but the PHL LHR leg is with BA in the A350 club suites. The issue begun as I made a typo on one of the kids names. I immediately called AA and it was sorted but it was sorted by them removing the child from our booking and creating a new booking and supposedly linking them. This worried me but I didn’t have a choice.

AA confirmed the booking was linked, explaining that it simply had to be otherwise it would flag as an unaccompanied minor.

Anyhow, onto seating. All of us, including the child were able to pick seats on all legs, including the BA CE legs (surprised) and the AA legs but of course, once we got to the PHL LHR leg, the child cannot choose a seat without paying over $100.

I called BA and they said there was nothing I could do as it was under airport control!

So I called BA and after initially being told it was an AA flight, I did indeed get them to understand it was BA metal with an AA flight number. First agent could not seat the child without the fee. So I hung up and called back.

Next agent was more helpful. On the previous call I should maybe have underscore I am gold and therefore asking for someone from another booking to sit with us is a benefit. I didn’t think of mentioning this as this was not the reason why it should have been done that way.

Anyhow, new agent understood the situation and processed it as a gold seating request. This was over 4 week ago and the seat has still not been selected.

Time is clearly on our side here and the 6 of us are the only with seats in the CW cabin, but how long should I leave it?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
it seems the "complete my party team" has apparently been furloughed, so do not expect anything to happen there quickly.

as this is easter next year is probably best just to be patient till this team is back in place
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An AA first-tier supervisor ought to be able to accomplish this for you, even on BA metal, in minutes. It is AA's ticket and under AA's control and thus an easy (simply requires explanation) task. Unlike BA, AA is not so stove-piped and thus it is simply a matter of reaching an agent with supervisory override authority for the BA seat fee.

To be clear, "linking" means absolutely nothing on AA tickets. It is simply a remark in the PNR notes which refers an agent who happens to look that there are more members of the traveling party than in the PNR. Your child simply will not be able to check in without an adult present, but that is generally the case anyway.

If by some chance, AA will not help, agree with above. This is an issue for next February and, by then, there either will be greater normalcy or the whole thing won't work,
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Unless the "typo" in the child's name was severe, reported experience suggests that it is best to leave the reservation alone. Agents are used to seeing fat finger mistakes in the airline's recording of passenger names. Not going to help you now, but general advice for the future.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
A flight next Easter is under airport control? Do agents ever think about what they're saying?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Codeshare segments are often under "airport control" from the get go.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
In early June we decided to jump on an itinerary over Easter for just over £1k each which had us routing SOF LHR CLT MCO, MSY PHL LHR SOF

There are 4 adults and 2 kids. The booking was made with AA but the PHL LHR leg is with BA in the A350 club suites. The issue begun as I made a typo on one of the kids names. I immediately called AA and it was sorted but it was sorted by them removing the child from our booking and creating a new booking and supposedly linking them. This worried me but I didn’t have a choice.

AA confirmed the booking was linked, explaining that it simply had to be otherwise it would flag as an unaccompanied minor.

Anyhow, onto seating. All of us, including the child were able to pick seats on all legs, including the BA CE legs (surprised) and the AA legs but of course, once we got to the PHL LHR leg, the child cannot choose a seat without paying over $100.

I called BA and they said there was nothing I could do as it was under airport control!

So I called BA and after initially being told it was an AA flight, I did indeed get them to understand it was BA metal with an AA flight number. First agent could not seat the child without the fee. So I hung up and called back.

Next agent was more helpful. On the previous call I should maybe have underscore I am gold and therefore asking for someone from another booking to sit with us is a benefit. I didn’t think of mentioning this as this was not the reason why it should have been done that way.

Anyhow, new agent understood the situation and processed it as a gold seating request. This was over 4 week ago and the seat has still not been selected.

Time is clearly on our side here and the 6 of us are the only with seats in the CW cabin, but how long should I leave it?
Without mentioning you are gold the way it normally works when you travelling with children between 2-11 is that seats are only assigned 72 hours before travel.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
Unless the "typo" in the child's name was severe, reported experience suggests that it is best to leave the reservation alone. Agents are used to seeing fat finger mistakes in the airline's recording of passenger names. Not going to help you now, but general advice for the future.
Sadly I used the wrong last name so ‘typo’ maybe a little shy of my mistake!

Thanks for the other answers. I’ll be sure to give AA another try and if no joy, I’ll try again in February.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.