What BA models do you have?

Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Before I go mad and start buying a lot of models, do any of you experienced model collecting folk have any thoughts on the different companies/model types? I'm looking at probably getting a 747 1:200 model and notice there are two types: a Skymarks resin one that is about £60 and a diecast one which is about £150. Is it worth splashing our the extra for the diecast?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:02 pm

I thought that the BA World Tails were unique, one design, one aeroplane. So this photograph, posted by Jet Ranger attracted my attention.

It is a B767 with a Masanabo tail design. But I had flown on a B747 with that design so I thought that Jet Ranger's model displayed artistic licence! No, that B767 flew as did the B747 I experienced. In all there were 16 aircraft with this tail design or a very similar one also by the same artists. I have found photographs of the design on B765, B757 B747 and a CRJ200. The artists were Emmly and Martha Masanabo, twins from South Africa.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:15 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I thought that the BA World Tails were unique, one design, one aeroplane. So this photograph, posted by Jet Ranger attracted my attention.

It is a B767 with a Masanabo tail design. But I had flown on a B747 with that design so I thought that Jet Ranger's model displayed artistic licence! No, that B767 flew as did the B747 I experienced. In all there were 16 aircraft with this tail design or a very similar one also by the same artists. I have found photographs of the design on B765, B757 B747 and a CRJ200. The artists were Emmly and Martha Masanabo, twins from South Africa.
Thanks for that Greenpen - I always liked that World Tail and its interesting the different aircraft in the fleet it appeared on. Also good to know I didn’t randomly purchase an anomaly!
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: EY Gold
Airfix are due to re-release their 'Prototype Concorde' resplendent in BOAC livery as part of their Classic range sometime this year. For the record its not the prototype but nearer to the 'concept' as it was in the shops over three years before the prototype flew and clearly based on very early drawings.

Here is the link to it, if anyone fancies buying a box full of styrene nostalgia.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/concord...pe-boac-1.html

Zac.

Originally Posted by tjcxx
Here we are, looking a little sad for its age. Somewhere along the way the wheels have come off (which is not intended as a metaphor for BA itself ! ), and one forgets how small Concorde was, especially at 1:144 scale.

The livery that never was. Looks good though.

Last edited by ZacZolar; Jul 11, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by tjcxx
Here we are, looking a little sad for its age. Somewhere along the way the wheels have come off (which is not intended as a metaphor for BA itself ! ), and one forgets how small Concorde was, especially at 1:144 scale.
The livery that never was. Looks good though.
The colour scheme on the nose would have to have been changed. The heat build up at extended Mach 2 flight would have likely been way above limits.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
new addition to my models - seemed appropriate considering how often BA allow me to enjoy them in real life

BA or bust, HIDDY, aks120 and 11 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci! And BA Silver – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 6, Bronze 4
Originally Posted by KARFA
new addition to my models - seemed appropriate considering how often BA allow me to enjoy them in real life

Do you carry it in your hand luggage as a Talisman… to ward off evil bus gates?
HIDDY, T8191 and KARFA like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
A few of the BA’s in my collection:

KARFA, timma1971, gormless and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
A few of the BA’s in my collection:

A few ? 🙃
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
This makes mine feel slightly less insane..

I’m on the 1:200 die cast Gemini, ARD, and some Phoenix. Limited gate space in my London flat…
  • 737-400s
  • 747-400s, including all the retro liveries
  • 767-300ER
  • 777s, including the G-YMML Shanghai lovery
  • 787s, all types
  • A350
  • A380s
and other non-BA generally those I’ve travelled on.

About 50 in total 😐😄
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I claim … Nil! My Airfix days (1960s) were all Military anyway!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.