Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid test on arrival to skip quarantine?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Paid test on arrival to skip quarantine?

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, I couldn’t find too many references to it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9602721.html

Could this be in place by the end of the summer? To save those opening the link, there is a suggestion that a test could be rolled out as an option on arrival from countries that are currently not on the UK’s ‘safe’ list. This would be a paid test at the passengers discretion on a arrival, where a £c100 fee would allow the passenger to be tested with results back in a few hours. A negative test would mean no quarantine necessary, whereas a positive would yield the opposite requirement as expected.

Seems like a good initiative to me. I expect it’ll probably come into place and become something of a new normal if you’re travelling back from the US for example.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
If a UK resident, you could just go home , book a test online and get the results back in 48 hours.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stewaran
If a UK resident, you could just go home , book a test online and get the results back in 48 hours.
But currently there is nothing in place to override the 14 day quarantine unless I’m mistaken?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
But currently there is nothing in place to override the 14 day quarantine unless I’m mistaken?
No, unless you are exempt from the list of exemptions they have.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Surely a negative test would do?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This is being discussed in the Corona virus forum :-

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-arrivals.html
KARFA and IFlyPlanes like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by stewaran
Surely a negative test would do?
No - there is no such exemption in the statutory framework. For the law to change the government would have to examine the accuracy of such testing - in particular over what period of time you’d have to be tested to ensure an infection isn’t missed in its early stages.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
No - there is no such exemption in the statutory framework. For the law to change the government would have to examine the accuracy of such testing - in particular over what period of time you’d have to be tested to ensure an infection isn’t missed in its early stages.
Yes, and I think based on some of the informed posts on the thread DYKWIA linked to, it appears very unlikely that in the short or medium term that exemptions to self isolation based on testing would happen.

My own view is anyone planning to travel for the rest of the year should do so on the basis of the current scheme and not make any assumptions on possible exemptions due to testing.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This is being discussed in the Corona virus forum :-

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-arrivals.html
So we'll close this one and request discussions continue in the linked thread in the CV19 forum.
stewaran likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.